Lost Luggage

dwic02

We arrived in Ft. Lauderdale this morning, waiting for a shuttle to the Jewel, we arrived ok, but our luggage did'nt. One large suitcase short, It might be on the ship when we get there....I hope!

We arrived in Ft. Lauderdale this morning, waiting for a shuttle to the Jewel, we arrived ok, but our luggage did'nt. One large suitcase short, It might be on the ship when we get there....I hope!

Not unless you claimed it and gave to NCL or filed the lost luggage report with the airline including your itinerary. Outlook hazy. May be time to take advantage of your travel insurance - there is a Kmart in walking distance from the pier in St. Thomas. I went there with 6 others who's bags did not make the Dawn in 2003 when she was sailing from Miami.

And that is why I always carry my own bags on board. that way, my luggage is with me and not lost.

That is almost imposible on a plane heading for a cruise. In fact when I flew to London for the Pearl they resticked carry on to 1 piece plus a briefcase or purse not more then 13 lbs.:eek:

AA

FAA security measures limit customers on all AA flights to one carry-on bag plus one personal item.

Cont.

In addition to the one carry-on item, you may bring free-of-charge the below items:

• one small personal article such as a briefcase, purse, day planner, small laptop computer, camera case, compact disk player or similar sized personal entertainment item

United

Carry-on baggage is limited to one bag and one personal item.

etc

I would be doing laundry every day :eek: Best bet fly in at least a day early giving your bags a chance to find you or do what I do drive to the port. :)

On Celebrity a few years ago, the airline lost our luggage with DH's tux and most of our formal wear which we didn't get for a week. We had booked our flight through Celebrity, and they were great about it, and loaned us everything we needed and more. They also gave us T shirts, and bags with the essentials in them.

The first week we were in South America and our luggage didn't show up until we arrived back in the islands. I sure hope you get yours sooner than we did. The insurance would have paid for any replacements that we bought, but we didn't bother with it. Make sure you save all of your receipts if you do put an insurance claim in.

Good luck, and have a great cruise!

Jackie

We always written our name, ships name, sail date, cabin number and a contact phone number on a piece of paper and set it on top pf our clothes in each suit case. That way if the luggage name tag falls off, at least they know where the luggage goes. Did come in handy once :) Hope you get yours!!

Just curious:confused: was it a none stop flight??

I dont know what I would do if that happened to me. I wear a plus size and its not easy to find replacements in that short of a time!!

All I can say, is good luck and what is your next port after embarkation? Hopefully if it doesn't show up before you sail it will by the first port. As for people carrying all their luggage on the plane, I can't imagine how people get enough clothes for a week's cruise in one carry on which is all that is allowed anymore or all that should be. Oh, I know, you can also bring the back pack that fits under your seat. while you struggle with all your luggage you hold everyone else up. Now add to all this the restrictions on liquids it just seems like it is more bother than it is worth. Best plan, fly in one day early. I know that won't do the OP any good now, so all I can say is good luck. NMnita

When we cruised the Baltic we had no luggage on arrival. Day 4, in Latvia, mine arrived; 2 days after getting home my wife's arrived.

1. Don't pack his and hers suitcases; mix your stuff so if one arrives you both are sort of OK.

2. A borrowed waiter's jacket and a sense of humor will get you in to formal night.

3. No matter how much ship credit they give you, you can't buy shoes on board. Or socks. Wear your most comfortable.

4. Never pack your important stuff in check-through (meds, money, etc.)

5. The market in Riga has cheap ladies' underwear, FYI.

6. Always carry on a change of clothes; sometimes luggage is delivered late to the rooms. Also the ship will do your laundry daily for free.

7. No one else remembers what you wore yesterday. And after 2 martini's you're invisible anyway.

8. If you get yours and your wife doesn't, it isn't safe to muse "what shall I wear today?"

9. This is scary--travel insurance will not pay for jewelry (or electronics) without a receipt. Do you have one for the necklace you got for your first anniversary? The bracelet that was your mothers? Earrings you got last cruise? They are serious about this; it's not a threat just for greedy (imaginative) people. Even a $100 of cheap stuff will not be covered. So if you must have jewelry, buy some fake pearls at the department store and leave the real ones at home!

10. Go a day early, esp with a long flight. In addition to luggage it's too easy to get delayed on the way over (which is why our flight to Stockholm and our suitcases' were on different airlines and to different cities--and neither were the original flight! Out of 6 flight segments we went on 3 as originally scheduled.)

there is a Kmart in walking distance from the pier in St. Thomas.

Oh No!! Don't mention this to my wife. If she knows there is a K-Mart in St. Thomas, she won't want to go on that excursion we booked. I'm going on the cruise to get away from shopping and now these mega stores are following me to the islands!!!

Just an idea-me and hubby split our suitcases. Each of us put some clothes in each bag. This way if one bag is missing we have some stuff with us. We never put all shoes in one bag either-we split them up ans our formal wear since we always have 2 sets.

I'm taking 2 cruises with 2 days in London in-between. The second cruise is on the same ship. I'm not too concerned with lost luggage for the 1st cruise because I will be dropped off at the port terminal by family since I live fairly close. I am concerned about lost luggage with the transfer to and from London for those 2 days in between. Do you think the Dream could store 1 large suitcase for me for those 2 days or would that be even worse as far as lost luggage go?

I just got off the Jewel Sunday and had the same problem with American Airlines. We arrived Saturday so I went Sunday AM to Walmart in Miami and got some clothes. At that point I wasn't sure when or if I would get my bag. As it turned out they located it and told me I'd get it Tues in PR. They messed that up. They ended up getting it to me in Antigua Wed. NCL kept me updated very well. Not quite as thrilled with AA. I'll be writing a letter.

Had that happen once when sailing on the Sun out off Miami. We flew in a day ahead of our cruise and our luggage did not show up. Not surprising as there was a weather delay in Denver so a missed connection in Cinncinati. Contacted Delta who said they would track it down and have it delievered to the cruise ship the next morning. They said they do it all the time. I toild them I would be more comfortable having it delievered to the hotel. That way I would know for sure I had my luggage. The luggage arrived the next morning to the hotel. Turns out it had been sent on a plane to West Palm Beach airport in all the delay mess.

Lisa

My very first cruise was a Mediterranean out of Athens. We were with a group of about 90 people and three tour guides. We flew to Athens two days ahead, but had to switch planes in Paris, with a stopover of 5 hours between flights. On arrival in Paris, Air France had managed to lose our reservations to Athens, which had been confirmed the day before. The tour guides spent the five hour layover getting us rebooked for a flight to Athens. 30 people stayed on the original air flight while the other 60 were rebooked on Olympic Airlines, leaving at the same time but from the other airport. However, all of the luggage was to stay with the original flight.

When we arrived in Athens, the luggage for the 60 people on Olympic arrived with the Air France flight, but the luggage for the 30 people who stayed on the Air France flight didn't arrive. Most people received their luggage late the next day, except one lady who didn't get hers until just before we sailed.

Archived