Ann Franks House

Can someone who has been there tell me the best way to visit.? We are arriving one day before our cruise in the end of July. I understand there are long lines. Can you buy tickets on line before you go or should I book a tour to avoid lines.

Thank you for your input.

A lady named Ine who lives in Amsterdam posts on these boards frequently, and she's very helpful. We went to this site in the morning and waited in line for less than 15 minutes. We were there in early May, so I'm sure the lines are longer at other times during the day and at other times of the year. Personally, I don't think a tour is needed, but that is a judgement call. We had a great time exploring Amsterdam independently and did the Frommers walking tour that includes the Red Light district as well as the oldest and most narrow houses in town, the Van Gogh Museum, a canal boat cruise, the flower market, and the Anne Frank house. The Anne Frank house is an awesome experience. We used the electric trams to get around.

Have a great day in Amsterdam,

Donna

It is now possible to buy your tickets on-line and go into the house through a special door to avoid the maybe longer lines.

If you have discountcards like the Amsterdamcard you cannot buy on-line, so read the info on the site before buying.

Day and other cards for public transportation can be bought with the driver of buses/trams etc., but it will be cheaper if bought at the special white wooden building opposite Centraal Station or the desk inside the station.

It is walkable depending where you are staying. Amsterdam isnot that big.

Paul, in addition to the information left by Ine, I wanted to let you know that we bought a card that was good for 10 rides and was stamped. So we shared that with our friends and used each other's card during the day. We rode the electric tram to and from the Van Gogh Museum, and it seems like we rode it one other time. Amsterdam was very easy to do on our own though, and I think we asked at the canal boat dock and at several other locations to get directions.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Ine and Donna for the info, I have 1 more question it is about the Amsterdam card we are thinking about buying a 24hr card. It says that all transportation is included with the card is this true and are there just certain times you can use it. I know the train is not included.

Thanks Again

Paul

Another way of visiting the anne Frank House is with the Canal Boat Trip. There are several places to get on - we got on near the railway station. It is like the Hop on Hop off Buses and I think you can use it the whole day although I am not sure if you can only go round once. We went to the anne Frank House first and did not have to queue (perhaps because it was in March). We then spent more time on the boat and visited the Flower Market. I'm sure you will find information on the Amsterdam website that someone has already mentioned. The Anne Frank house is well worth the visit and you do not need a guide although to do it justice it is worth while spending some time there. They have a nice cafe as well.:)

We are docking at 8 a.m. and are debating whether we should reserve Anne Frank for 9:30 a.m. or the 10:30 a.m. - I want to first stop at the Central Station to inquire about tram tickets and/or the canal bus tickets.... where else can you purchase the Canal/bus tickets besides at the Centraal Station area?

Which booking do you think is advisable? would we be able to use the trams to get to Anne Frank in time?

CJcruzer

We are docking at 8 a.m. and are debating whether we should reserve Anne Frank for 9:30 a.m. or the 10:30 a.m. - I want to first stop at the Central Station to inquire about tram tickets and/or the canal bus tickets.... where else can you purchase the Canal/bus tickets besides at the Centraal Station area?

Which booking do you think is advisable? would we be able to use the trams to get to Anne Frank in time?

CJcruzer

If you want to make An Frank house at 9.30, better get the tram 25 from the cruiseterminal (or 24 more to the left or right on the street), change to 13 at Centraal Station and get off at Westerkerk. That will take about 15/20 minutes and walk for about 5 minutes. You can get those tickets in the tram, which are a little more expensive then buying them at the station. You can buy a "daycard" for public transport too.

That doesnot cover the canalbustickets, that is a private firm. The canalbus is not your best option, as I think the schedule has An Frankhouse as one of the last stops in their schedule. Then you must make the later reservation.Check:.

http://www.canal.nl/ne/theme.php?theme_id=3

Archived