What is your favorite TV or movie with a cruise/steam ship

dvdfreakmc

A Night to Remember and Titanic have to be on any list.

No one has mentioned the Marx brothers' A Night at the Opera yet, the ocean voyage is hilarious.

Also, there was one of my all time favorites....Steamboat commin' round the bend....Starring Will Rogers....:D :D :D

Oh, I videotaped that episode from a PBS station years and years ago and occasionally pull it out to watch it. I love Onslow's comment about dinner with the Captain - "You win a contest, you get dressed up and they expect you to eat with the crew!":D

As one might tell from the signature I'll be on the QE2 this summer and the first thing my mother mentioned when I first told her about this cruise was not to be like Hyancith! Obviously she saw the same episode as well.:rolleyes: Now I'll just have to hunt down the postman and make sure I yell loud enough for the whole neighbourhood to hear to ensure that the postal service redirects my mail to the QE2!

David

The 1st time I saw that episode was on the QE2. It was a great way to tour the ship. I didn't even have to leave the cabin. Plus I got to see areas normally not accessable to passengers.

:)

Looked into purchasing the DVD of that episode but it's packaged with a set of 4 DVD's & don't care to spend $80 for the series.. Maybe DH will get it for my Birthday..;)

Or purhaps HAL will purchase the DVD's & show the series on board someday..

Your in luck -- I found the QE2 episode on amazon on the Keeping Up Appearances - Deck the Halls with Hyacinth DVD, so you can get it without having to pay for the $80 4 disk version.

• 2 weeks later...

"An Affair to Remember" It was filmed on the old Constitution, now scrapped, but I sailed on the "Independence", an identical sister ship some years ago in Hawaii, so whenever I watch "Affair" again I can picture the ship.

I was on the old Westerdam the week they were filming scenes for "Out To Sea", hoping to get about 10-12 minutes, but when the film came out there were only about 2 minutes from that week of filming. It was fun seeing all the stars in person. Walter Mathau was just like he is on the screen and Gloria deHaven was a doll, very friendly. Donald O'Connor, when he wasn't being "Donald O'Connor" appeared to have not much personality at all. Jack Lemmon, as everyone knows, was a very shy man. My friend's foot is in one of the scenes. And I'm just off camera in the big party scene. Fun to reminisce. Also, I loved the ship.

Just got some GREAT info from the "I Love Lucy" website! I'm so excited about the great timing of these reruns---we'll get to see them before our cruise!!

The entire "Cruise" series is set to rerun on Friday and Saturday, April 27 & 28th. Here in the east, the usual time for the reruns is 11:00am and 11:30am. Following is their posted schedule:

Friday, April 27:

11:00---Ricky's European Booking

11:30---Passports

Saturday, April 28:

9:30---Staten Island Ferry

10:00---Bon Voyage (the episode where Lucy misses the boat)

10:30---Lucy's Second Honeymoon (aboard ship)

11:00---Lucy Meets the Queen

11:30---The Fox Hunt

That is as far as the schedule is posted now. I'm sure the rest of the trip to Europe will follow on the following days.

I wondered how in the world I'd ever find those particular episodes. How neat that they are coming up so soon!! Enjoy them as much as I plan to!

Barb

Archived