Boston excursions

sjde

We'll have 2 or 3 extra days in Boston at the end of a cruise in mid-October. Are there Gray Line or similar tours to Cape Cod or is it too far to go for a day, or too late in the season? We did this from Vancouver to Victoria and had only about 3 or 4 hours there in a 9 hour trip because of the ferry and the distance. But it was still worth it. Thanks!

Sue

Cape Cod is lovely in October - from Boston, it is about 2 hour ride to the mid-Cape...Hyannis. It can easily be done in a day. If you want to go to Provincetown at the very end of the cape, it will be a good 3 hour ride - unless you take the ferry from Boston to Provincetown which maybe a good option. I am not sure if the feeries are running that late in the season but it is worth checking out.

• 2 weeks later...

Do the duck tour--it is a land/water vehicle they used during WWll. It goes on land and also in the Charles river, with the tour guide giving you a verbal commentary. We had a conference in Boston about 3 years ago and it was the highlight of my 8 year old son's visit.

No this is not Kansas toto, but I have heard once in Boston, to follow the yellow brick road for a walking tour..

We may do that if my one contact ( friend) to take us around can not break away.

Enjoy

The Freedom Trail is a red, brick pathway that takes visitors around to the historic sights of Boston. Among the sights are The Old North Church where the lantern was hung to alert the Minuteman of the Red Coat's arrival, Bunker Hill Monument and lots more.

Boston is a very walkable town and the transit system (the T) although the oldest in the nation is easily accessible and not too expensive to use as a means of getting from place to place.

Have a great visit!

We enjoyed the trolly tour and if you have children, there is a very nice children's museum across from the Boston Tea Party exhibit. If you plan to do the Freedom Trail (which is pretty neat) make sure to wear comfortable shoes - the whole thing is a good hike (but easy).

Archived