Captain Marvins or Native Way???

TJNH

Hi all,

I am looking at excursions on Grand Cayman, and after considering Capt Bryans, Ebanks, Captain Marvins and Native Way, we have narrowed it down to the last two.

I know that I could search the threads to try to find reviews of these tours, but was hoping I could take the lazy way out and just get experienced cruisers to comment on a single thread.

Sooo...if you have used Captain Marvins or Native Way (or heard much about them), please leave your comments on these tours, good or bad.

Thanks from a cruise noob!

TJ

I booked Nativeways back in 05, for the Rays, Reef, and Rum Point excursion. we had an awesome time. There were only 4 of us on our tour (not a usual occurance I'm sure), so you can imagine how much one on one attention we got from the stingrays and of course the crew at Nativeways. We enjoyed their service so much that we booked them again for this May. This time we are doing the Rays and Island Tour. I can't wait, as this time our boys will be along, and I know this will be an amazing adventure for them.

If you choose Nativeways, you will not be disappointed. Good luck choosing.

Going for my first time in December, so can't comment on pros/cons of each one.

I can tell you, though, that we were trying to decide from these 2 places as well. I liked Nativeways because they stopped at Rum Point. However, we finally decided on Captain Marvins because they allow you to tack on an "island tour" to the end of your snorkeling/rays. I thought that was nice. That stuff (hell, turtles) might be touristy, but that's exactly what we are :D

I have used Nativeway several times as well as sent others to Nativeway. Very personal tours and never crowded. Since I have not used anyone else other than the Cruise ship (first time on cruise), I would recommend Nativeway.

Joanne

Just got back on Sunday from our cruise and we used Nativeway while in the Caymans. It was, by far and away, our best excursion. We were fortunate to be placed with a smaller group and we had two guides that gave us extra special attention. Loved every moment of it. For the record, we did the Rays, Reef and Rum Point excursion.

Good luck!

We've used CM's several times and had a wonderful time. We'll use them next time we're in GC.

I recently suggested Nativeway to someone because they wanted to do the snorkle/Rum Point trip, and I think they're the only ones who offer this sort of an excursion. They had a good time, but said the boat was slow and they only had an hour or so on Rum Point. She said next time, they'll just rent a car and drive to Rum Point.

It doesn't sound like i could go wrong with either choice...they both got such good reviews that the feedback didn't make the decision much easier! :p

I think we are going to go with Captain Marvins, because their short snorkeling tour takes us to both Stingray City and the Coral Gardens. Their combined island tour/snorkeling tour was a little more expensive than Nativeway, but it is worth it to me for the extra stop.

Thanks to all that posted feedback!

Loved my excursion with CM in 01 and can't wait to go on my next one with them in a few weeks. We did the early tour and were out at the destination well before the huge ship crowds. Very personable and probably one of the most memorable trip excursions I have taken :) Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back-

We used Native Way and loved it. On Fridays, the Explorer was the only boat in port. My family was the only one booked with Native way that day. A crew of 4 for the 5 of us. WOW! We went to stingray city first.

I had been there before with on one of the ships tours on a boat with 75 people. My we lost my son ( age 10) for a while, as he followed a sting ray and joined another group by mistake. i barely saw the stingrays last time while watching my 3 kids and elderly parents. This time was so different. The guide picked one up and we all held, kissed and got a back massage by the stingray. We also each fed a stingray which we did not do last time due to the chaos of so many people. if you have kids, a small group is the way to go. The stingrays are very big and even as an adult they can be kind of intimidating. My kids are very outgoing but would not have done so much with the stingray if they were not one on one with the guide. (I would not have either). The snorkeling at the reef was great, saw a lot of stuff. Back on the boat, we ordered our food from the menu of Rum point, they called it in, and it was waiting for us when we arrived at our reserved table. Very Cool. We pretty much stayed everywhere as long as we wanted and got back to the boat just fine.

Just got back-

We used Native Way and loved it. On Fridays, the Explorer was the only boat in port. My family was the only one booked with Native way that day. A crew of 4 for the 5 of us. WOW! We went to stingray city first.

I had been there before with on one of the ships tours on a boat with 75 people. My we lost my son ( age 10) for a while, as he followed a sting ray and joined another group by mistake. i barely saw the stingrays last time while watching my 3 kids and elderly parents. This time was so different. The guide picked one up and we all held, kissed and got a back massage by the stingray. We also each fed a stingray which we did not do last time due to the chaos of so many people. if you have kids, a small group is the way to go. The stingrays are very big and even as an adult they can be kind of intimidating. My kids are very outgoing but would not have done so much with the stingray if they were not one on one with the guide. (I would not have either). The snorkeling at the reef was great, saw a lot of stuff. Back on the boat, we ordered our food from the menu of Rum point, they called it in, and it was waiting for us when we arrived at our reserved table. Very Cool. We pretty much stayed everywhere as long as we wanted and got back to the boat just fine.

thanks for the positive feedback on Nativeway..I have booked them for the ray, reef, and rum point tour for July 8th...

I know my Gf is al little apprehsensive being with the Stingrays. but i know she'll be fine once the guides help out...

thanks again..i'm glad you had a fantastic time

We loved the Native Way Rum, Reef and Ray tour we booked in late March. It helped that we were the only cruise ships in port that day. I was there with my 2 daughters 9 and 11 and the crew was very watchful of everyone. My 9 year old last year was scared stiff and this year she was totally OK. The rays we held did not even have tails, Frisbe were their names.

Hi,

We just returned from cruising on the Century and we were in Gran dCayman on April 19. We did the Nativeway Rays, Reef and Rum Point and I'm glad we did. We choose them because they were the only ones offering the relaxing beach time at Rum Point.

It was a group of about 18 of us on a comfortable boat. There was about a 15 min. bus ride to get to the boat, during which you pass along the road alongside 7-Mile Beach...so you do get to see alittle of the island. We got out to the Rays quicker than most of the other excursion boats and had a great time in the water with the rays. From there, it was about a 10 min ride to the reef where we snorkled for about 40 minutes. It was the BEST snorkling we've ever done (and we've been to Cozumel, St. Lucia, Bahamas and several other spots around the world snorkling)...great variety of fish and coral to see at very shallow depths.

Afterwards, it was about a 15 min ride to Rum Point where we had lunch waiting for us at shaded picnic tables. Excellent food! We had about 2 hours there which was fantastic. We laid around in the hammocks, swam and snorkled more right off the beach and had some delicious rum punch!

I would take time at Rum Point over an island tour anyday. What little we saw of the island was enough for me, though I'm sure there are spots of great beauty. It's a dry, not lush island. We saw the busy town, (which you can walk around before or after your R, R and RP tour), strip malls with Wendy's and Burger King etc and the row of hotels along the beach. Nice hotels, I'm sure and the beach looks fantastic...but the island scenery didn't hold a candle to the snorkling, rays and the idyllic beach at Rum Point.

Enjoy the cruise!

Lynne

I am only chiming in to share a little experience....twice I've booked with Captain Marvin's...and twice we were unable to go. Once due to the ship changing itineraries at last moment (weather related) and once due to the ship changing ports in GC due to weather. Both times, I didn't get charged, which I thought was really great, because clearly we reserved spots on the tours that they couldn't sell until the last moment. Communation with Ruth (their office person) was excellent as she always got back to us promptly. On my most recent missed tour, we ended up in a port about 20 minutes from St George. I was worried about the tendering and cab availability so we didn't leave ship. As it turns out, Captain Marvin's sent a bus to our new location to ensure transportation for people who couldn't get taxi's. I was very impressed with the level of service, and professionalism of the organization. (And of course that they didn't charge me). I've only heard good things from fellow travelers about this organization and now I know why. If they treat "non-customers" this way, I can only guess that "paying" customers must be very well treated. I'll definitely book with them again on my next trip to GC....and perhaps will actually get to go! (Third time's a charm!!)

Happy snorkeling all!

Hi,

We just returned from cruising on the Century and we were in Gran dCayman on April 19. We did the Nativeway Rays, Reef and Rum Point and I'm glad we did. We choose them because they were the only ones offering the relaxing beach time at Rum Point.

It was a group of about 18 of us on a comfortable boat. There was about a 15 min. bus ride to get to the boat, during which you pass along the road alongside 7-Mile Beach...so you do get to see alittle of the island. We got out to the Rays quicker than most of the other excursion boats and had a great time in the water with the rays. From there, it was about a 10 min ride to the reef where we snorkled for about 40 minutes. It was the BEST snorkling we've ever done (and we've been to Cozumel, St. Lucia, Bahamas and several other spots around the world snorkling)...great variety of fish and coral to see at very shallow depths.

Afterwards, it was about a 15 min ride to Rum Point where we had lunch waiting for us at shaded picnic tables. Excellent food! We had about 2 hours there which was fantastic. We laid around in the hammocks, swam and snorkled more right off the beach and had some delicious rum punch!

I would take time at Rum Point over an island tour anyday. What little we saw of the island was enough for me, though I'm sure there are spots of great beauty. It's a dry, not lush island. We saw the busy town, (which you can walk around before or after your R, R and RP tour), strip malls with Wendy's and Burger King etc and the row of hotels along the beach. Nice hotels, I'm sure and the beach looks fantastic...but the island scenery didn't hold a candle to the snorkling, rays and the idyllic beach at Rum Point.

Enjoy the cruise!

Lynne

Hey Lynne

Thanks for the info...i have this booked when we go in July... now i can't wait!!!!!!!!:cool:

We did the Nativeways Rays, Reef & Rumpoint tour last September. It was a fabulous tour, maybe 20 people, wonderful guides, personal service, and Rum Point is truly gorgeous. What I will say is if you use them, make them keep a very close eye on the time.

We were in a group mixed from two ships with different port times (Carnival Miracle and Carnival Valor). In spite of the owner's assurances that he knew the time differences between Cayman time, Miracle time and Valor time (which was even more confused because the Miracle stayed on EDT and apparently the Valor switched their clocks during the cruise) we were two hours later getting back to the pier than we were promised. A mere twenty minutes before our last tender time our guides were pulling the boat over to see iguanas - a neat sight but we were starting to panic by then. We were lucky to not hit traffic on the way back to Georgetown as only three ships were in port. We made it back to Georgetown less than five minutes before our last tender, had to make the bus driver pull over so we could dash across the street along with the other Miracle cruisers. We were on the third to the last tender.

Kind of put a damper on a great day and didn't impress me with the tour organization as far as time goes.

Archived