Maitre'd vs. head waiter

Is the maitre'd the same as the head waiter? If not, whats the difference?

I've been reading about people tipping their waiter and asst. waiter but the Head waiter mainly stands around directing and watching and didnt seem to be very personable in most cases? Some didnt even show up on the last night.

We had a maitre'd on the Destiny (Omar) and he would stop by every night and talk with us for several minutes. Very nice man. And I remember a table waiter and asst. waiter dut dont seem to recall a Head waiter? Did I miss someone? Dont want to make the same mistake again on the Empress. Thanks in advance.

The Maitre'd is in harge of the entire dining room. There are usually several head waiters, each responsible for a group of tables. The waiters report to a head waiter. The head waiters report to the Maitre'd.

Paul

The terminology is different depending on the cruise line. The tipping policy for this part of the waitstaff is also different depending on the cruiseline.

For example on RCI, there are many headwaiters supervising sections of the dining room with a number of waiters/assistant waiters reporting to them. There are only what, a couple of Maitre 'd's on board. These are ship's officers, part of the management group - not to be tipped. Headwaiters are tipped .75 cents per day/passengers.

As I said, this is different, cruise line to cruise line. Best to check out the situation with the cruiseline's website and/or on the specific board for the cruise line.

Then is it safe to assume he's covered in the auto-gratuity on your ship bill at the end?

And how am I supposed to tip a guy who I am not aware of exists?

Sorry guy whoever/wherever you are. This is what happens when you dont introduce yourself.

Will keep my eyes open and ask the waiter on the 20th.

I'm a retired F&B director.

On ships, as well as in formal dining establishments on land, the dining room order is:

• Maitre d'hotel - In charge of dining room management, including personnel.
  • Captain - In charge of head waiters.
  • Head waiters - In charge of sections of waiters/assistant waiters.

FYI - The Maitre d' is NOT an officer of the ship; therefore, he may be tipped or not at your discretion.

Archived