southhampton pier

csk

just beginning to plan my cruise that leaves out of Southhampton, which airport is closer to pier, Gatwick or Heathrow, thanks

It depends on how you are intending to travel. They are both about the same distance from Southampton about 70 mile, but the sensible road between the two makes Heathrow 17 mile shorter. If you wish to travel by train then it would be easier to go from Gatwick as no journey to London would be needed.

I am fairly certain there is a coach from Heathrow to Southampton but not from Gatwick direct. Just looked it up there is a coach every hour direct from Heathrow to Southampton and it takes about 2 hours.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

If you wish to travel by train then it would be easier to go from Gatwick as no journey to London would be needed.

I am fairly certain there is a coach from Heathrow to Southampton but not from Gatwick direct. Just looked it up there is a coach every hour direct from Heathrow to Southampton and it takes about 2 hours.

There is no need to go to London for Heathrow as the connecting point to the Airport is WOKING!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

There is no need to go to London for Heathrow as the connecting point to the Airport is WOKING!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

I take it you refer to a bus transfer (17 mile about 30 minutes) as there is no railway from Heathrow, except that to London. If you are taking the bus you may as well go all the way on one bus.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

This might not be the fastest way, but you can take the railair coach from Heathrow to Reading (approximately 45 minutes), then train from Reading to Southampton (journeys take from 1 hr 36 mins to 2 hrs 18 mins; this usually requires a change of trains at Winchester, & sometimes an additional bus).

On the whole, travelling from Heathrow to Southampton is much more easily done by National Express coach, with a journey time of 1 hr 45 mins to 1 hr 55 mins. However, service is not as frequent as it might be; if your ship is sailing that day, you'd have to make the 11:50 coach at the latest, or else! The 10:50 coach from Heathrow is a bit safer; it will get you to Southampton at 12:35.

There are some direct trains from Gatwick to Southampton; the journey takes 1 hr 58 minutes.

It's now once an hour during the day, so it's a pretty good option for anyone arriving at Gatwick.

@Globaliser:

Thanks for telling!!! That makes my life easier!!!

Everytime I am using National Rail Enquiries I got only the transfer connections as they are faster.

Since you told I entered the option "direct services".

And now I got it: Southern Railways - another train operator who is not going the classical route northbound and then southwest bound.

Great information. Thanks again.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived