Sunshine Skyway Bridge

afdds

I can't wait to go under it in May.;) But, everytime I think about the bridge, I remember back to that foggy, foggy morning when I was in the ninth grade and it fell. One of those where were you when this happened moments.:( I actually have driven over both the old and new. The new is sooooo much better without that scary metal span part. I used to get down in the floorboards as a kid when we went over it, scared me that bad.

The Celebration goes under the Dames Point Bridge here in Jacksonsville. As a side story and it is kind of cruise related. A few years ago I was in the market for a new car, keep in mind I have always driven either hand me down or used cars. After checking out some of the more mid-range dealerships, as a lark we went to the local BMW dealership which happens to be dear the Dames point bridge. Took out the normal 3 series model, the test drive includes crossing the Dames Point bridge.

I was used to having my prior cars struggling to maintain speed crossing this bridge, while the BMW didn't exactly struggle, I did make a comment to the salesman that it seemed underpowered (thinking to myself for the price). He suggested that we take out a car with the next larger size. Now we were talking.

Since the Mercedes dealership is a few blocks down, we went there next. Based on my visit to BMW, I had figured out the size I engine I wanted. We took a test drive across the bridge, at about 1/3 the way up the bridge I noticed the car was cruising at 70mph without effort. Hmm, let's punch it. Yep, I found my car.

Now how is this cruise related? Under the Dames Point bridge is a public park on the "far-end" ( closest to the Cruise Terminal). To this day, every few month's I head out to this park to watch the Celebration leave. I get to see a cruise ship even if I am not on it, but also get to have fun driving over the Dames Point Bridge :)

It was about 6:20-6:30 or so if I remember correctly. Here's a few pics...

2031222103_Startingunder.jpg.40f868d46e1c667005adcfbbe5ce1fc8.jpg

1828288860_underthebridge.jpg.a39c1eef684542b81d0e725b0ba5022e.jpg

1474403909_pastthebridge.jpg.9d93b650c17cae5ada124eac25a0bd71.jpg

We were glad we had late dinner and got to be up on deck as we went under. It really looks like the funnel will hit the bridge!

Here are some pictures from the other perspective on shore watching the ship pass under the bridge. This is the Inspiration

Those were superb!!!! Thanks SO much for sharing. When I've been in the area in a car, there were no ships going under, and, of course, when I'm on the ship I don't get that view you shared. Way cool!!!

Thanks for the pics everyone, they are wonderful. I can't wait to sail under the bridge. We have late dinner so it won't be a problem.

Mrs. H- Go to the Roll Call section, then Carnival, then Carnival Legend, our posting is labeled.. Legend-Tampa 4/29/07Post Switch

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=417478

Hope this helps, if not let me know and I'll give you my email.

Look forward to you joining our little group

At night, the cable supports are lit up nicely, giving a golden glow. The supports are painted yellow.

I have been over the old Skyway Bridge, after the Southbound span was destroyed, on a motorcycle. Talking about anxiety!!!:eek: I could see through the metal grate of the bridge down to the water. The motorcycle tires kind of rode the grooves in that old grate, and you kind of wobble a little. It was daylight when I went S, then I had to return N. at night. Not fun at all.

Otherwise, it's never bothererd me to go over the bridge or under it on a cruise ship. The current bridge is no problem.

Ken

ohh I hate that creepy bridge! I always make hubby drive across to get from Tampa airport to my sisters in Sarasota. I have to go over it again in 3 weeks.

Isnt is kinda creepy sailing underneath it?

"Creepy"? If you want creepy, look at the website, theshadowsland.net, enter it by clicking on the sword and stone icon, next click on Ghosts and Hauntings, then click the index for haunted places, click "Florida" and find St. Petersburg Sunshine Skyway Bridge and read what it says.....I dare ya!

Hopefully your CD will make an announcement before the ship goes under it. I sailed the Inspiration last april and i would have missed it if Chris Roberts hadn't anounced that it was a cool sight to be seen. I was awake at 3AM on the final night and got to watch us sail under it at night. Very cool! Have a great trip!

On our Miracle cruise, we had the aft corner balcony room. A bunch of people came to our cabin to watch as we went under the bridge. It was AMAZING. It was so close, you felt like you could reach up and touch it. It's almost worth skipping dinner the first night, and finding a great spot on the Lido deck (I recommend aft area). If you are in the dining room, don't be suprised if people start lining up at the windows as the bridge comes into view, lol, the waiters must love it when 1/2 their tables get up and mess with the serving of their meals.

Tried enrolling but don't see much of anything on that page.

do you see YOUR countdown clock?

If not-- go to the top--look for USER CP.. in there look for EDIT OPTIONS.. inthere look for THREAD OPTIONS..make sure all three boxes have a check in there.

Passing under the bridge..we made sure to get to the highest point of the ship--which is the funnel deck. GOing under on the Miracle I swear we could just about touch the bottom on the bridge== all the sudden you hear all the ohhhhs and the ahhs. Lots of people around too.

Thank serene56 for helping Mrs. H. -She now poped up on our roll call. :)

This has been a wonderful posting to read. It brings around another question to mind.

Here is the best spot to be when going under the bridge? We have 8272 aft(not on the side, but the very back). Do I want to go up one deck on the Lido? If I stay on my balcony, it would seem like I would miss every thing by going backwards. I don't think I would have much of a side view. Did I explain that right?:confused:

Also does anyone have any pictures of the "old bridge"?

Thanks guys, this board is the greatest!

Thank serene56 for helping Mrs. H. -She now poped up on our roll call. :)

This has been a wonderful posting to read. It brings around another question to mind.

Here is the best spot to be when going under the bridge? We have 8272 aft(not on the side, but the very back). Do I want to go up one deck on the Lido? If I stay on my balcony, it would seem like I would miss every thing by going backwards. I don't think I would have much of a side view. Did I explain that right?:confused:

Also does anyone have any pictures of the "old bridge"?

Thanks guys, this board is the greatest!

check the website link above I posted, it has pictures of the old bridge

The Celebration goes under the Dames Point Bridge here in Jacksonsville. As a side story and it is kind of cruise related. A few years ago I was in the market for a new car, keep in mind I have always driven either hand me down or used cars. After checking out some of the more mid-range dealerships, as a lark we went to the local BMW dealership which happens to be dear the Dames point bridge. Took out the normal 3 series model, the test drive includes crossing the Dames Point bridge.

I was used to having my prior cars struggling to maintain speed crossing this bridge, while the BMW didn't exactly struggle, I did make a comment to the salesman that it seemed underpowered (thinking to myself for the price). He suggested that we take out a car with the next larger size. Now we were talking.

Since the Mercedes dealership is a few blocks down, we went there next. Based on my visit to BMW, I had figured out the size I engine I wanted. We took a test drive across the bridge, at about 1/3 the way up the bridge I noticed the car was cruising at 70mph without effort. Hmm, let's punch it. Yep, I found my car.

Now how is this cruise related? Under the Dames Point bridge is a public park on the "far-end" ( closest to the Cruise Terminal). To this day, every few month's I head out to this park to watch the Celebration leave. I get to see a cruise ship even if I am not on it, but also get to have fun driving over the Dames Point Bridge :)

Cool Story Gatour!

Cuted126, I wasn't so smart, tried to scare everyone else, now I'M too skeered to go to bed!:eek:
Lol!!!

We were on the elevator one evening with the Captain of the Miracle. He said that the ship cleared the Sunshine Skyway by 6 feet. I have some nice pictures. Too bad I don't have a clue how to upload them.

Does anybody know how much clearance the Celebration has under the Dames Point bridge?

6 FEET!:eek:

cusyl, I may never drive over that bridge again! I can't believe what a sad story that was. So many people lost their lives.

You must be fairly new residents of Tampa? There were many years we refused to drive over the bridge, but the new one is so beautiful, and differently constructed. Also, has the bumpers around the piers that should keep that from happening again.

We always go that way to go to Tampa airport.

If you are in the dining room, don't be suprised if people start lining up at the windows as the bridge comes into view, lol, the waiters must love it when 1/2 their tables get up and mess with the serving of their meals.

Last year on the Miracle, we had early dinner seating, and a table close to the windows. Not only did many guests drop their forks and stare out the window, but the crew went to the windows too!! An awesome sight to see!

Archived