room locations on the Amsterdam/Rotterdam

slotl

We are planning to book a 65 day cruise in Sept 2008 on the Amsterdam. We have been on the Rotterdam (the sister ship) on a back-to-back cruise a few years ago and HAL could not offer us the same room for both sailings. Our travel agent booked us a "Guarantee". We were assigned an FF room which was right by the housekeeping station, the doctor's office and, worst of all, above the tender door (which was used at almost every port). How would you like to hear the clank, clank, clank, the chains rattling, and get knocked out of bed every morning. We learned our lesson.

Because of the high cost of this cruise, we would like to book an outside room (the balcony rooms are twice as expensive).

We are more than 18 months away, so we should have an excellent choice of rooms.

My question: Suggestions for "good rooms" and rooms to stay away from (FF category). All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We had DA2548 (Main Deck) and liked it a lot. It is near where the gangway is often placed and just one flight up the nearby stairs to the Promenade deck. The cabins are also bigger than those on Promenade Deck.

I like doing guarantees, but I wouldn't take the risk on a cruise this long.

Not a lot of choice in the FF as far as busy areas go, unless you book one of the aft ones.

Take a look at the D/DA cabins on Main Deck near the mid-ship elevator bank. They are large, near the promenade on Lower Prom, convenient to staircase/elevator, not too far from the aft/forward public rooms. Self-service laundry nearby (if you do your own).

And more than that, they are mid-ship---so they are more stable in rough seas. That cruise has the potential for some very rough seas.

We were on the Amsterdam in January and had a category HH fully obstructed outside on the lower promenade deck. Cabin number 3420. We would book that cabin again in a heartbeat. There was virtually no obstruction. Looking to the left was the steel bulkhead, but straight ahead and to the right, just sea and sky.

We were mere steps to the promenade and the lovely teak loungers. Although the cabin was near the stern, we did not feel any vibrations. It was great to walk a few feet and be outside at the stern watching the wake, the moonlight.....ahhhhh...bliss.

We were unable to get a balcony as our booking was late. It was a port intensive cruise so we didn't miss the balcony.

Some of the HH cabins would look out directly on the steel bulkhead, we just lucked out.

Enjoy! Kathy

Wish someone would answer this. About to board the Rotterdam on a 27 day cruise and would like to know about dd cabins. We have 3390. Guess I will know in about 4 hrs.

Looks like a great location...should not be obstructed at all.:)

Bon Voyage!

We are planning to book a 65 day cruise in Sept 2008 on the Amsterdam. We have been on the Rotterdam (the sister ship) on a back-to-back cruise a few years ago and HAL could not offer us the same room for both sailings. Our travel agent booked us a "Guarantee". We were assigned an FF room which was right by the housekeeping station, the doctor's office and, worst of all, above the tender door (which was used at almost every port). How would you like to hear the clank, clank, clank, the chains rattling, and get knocked out of bed every morning. We learned our lesson.

Because of the high cost of this cruise, we would like to book an outside room (the balcony rooms are twice as expensive).

We are more than 18 months away, so we should have an excellent choice of rooms.

My question: Suggestions for "good rooms" and rooms to stay away from (FF category). All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am booked on this same cruise but departing Sept. 2007. I originally booked an FF room but got cold feet and switched to E 1892 which is mid-ship. One never knows about rough seas so unless I could afford a suite on an upper deck I might as well stay on Dolphin Deck which will be the most stable. I toured the ship last year and I felt that the C rooms on Lower Promenade seemed much smaller although they are supposed to be only

15 sq. ft. smaller. I like the fact some of the FF rooms have shower only because the tub is almost useless to a tall person and the bathrooms with showers are smaller and leave more space in the cabin itself. But I did not want to gamble for 64 days.

Check your itinerary on the HAL site carefully. On the 2007 cruise there are only two ports in 64 days that require tendering so it is almost a non-issue. The footnotes indicate which ports require the tenders.

Archived