Sneakers in Dining room

clm101798

I am sailing on the Spirit in about 10 days and I just had to have part of a toenail removed. While it will be healed enough for walking around etc., I am afraid that it might be a bit too tender for my sandles since the strap goes right across where this was done.

I will be wearing nice pants and blouse, do you think anyone will notice and/or object if I wore nice sneakers?

I don't think anyone will say anything. One night at Windows I noticed a family in front of us...the teenage sons were dressed in polo shirts and khakis, with sneakers. (I even saw a few people in jeans. Just don't wear shorts...I did see them turn away some people wearing shorts.)

How about a nice pair of crocs. I understand they are very comfortable and you can get them in some wonderful colors so you can mix and match. Plus they are way less expensive than sneaks.

I'm pretty sure this was meant to be sarcastic, but I think either Crocs or sneakers would be just fine.:p

Have you thought of getting a pair of black Reebocks? If you wear them with a nice pair of black pants and a pretty top, they would blend in more-- rather than wearing white sneakers.

Or.. maybe you can find a nice pair of "thong" sandles. Silver and gold are very big right now as are the rhinestone sandals and would look nice with a skirt. Maybe one of these?

http://www.stevemadden.com/category.asp?id=137

I hope your tootsie is all better by then! Expect to do a lot of walking on the Spirit. It's a big ship.

There was one girl on our cruise who was in a knee brace and on crutches. What a trooper! We saw her on the beach too.. I don't know how she did it.

I have never worn anything but sneakers to the dining rooms on any of my NCL cruises, including the optional formal nights. Polo shirts, dockers pants are just fine.

That is the joy of Freestyle....the right to Dress as YOU want to!!!

Have a great cruise.

I am sailing on the Spirit in about 10 days and I just had to have part of a toenail removed. While it will be healed enough for walking around etc., I am afraid that it might be a bit too tender for my sandles since the strap goes right across where this was done.

I will be wearing nice pants and blouse, do you think anyone will notice and/or object if I wore nice sneakers?

No one will notice.

Enjoy your cruise...relax:)

Thanks.

The black sneakers is a good idea, but my feet are very wide so most stores don't have anything to fit me. (plus sneaks for me usually end up running$100+)

I hope your toe heals quickly also. I did go and try the Crocs on. I also have wide feet and they were even wider than I needed. They are also very lightweight. Not the prettiest shoe around, but they were comfortable.

http://shop.crocs.com/c-4-Footwear.aspx?reqid=4&reqProdTypeId=4&subsectionname=footwear

Have a great cruise.

Thanks everyone. I'm sure the toe will be much better by the time we sail. Dr. saw no reason it wouldn't. Worst case scenairo I could just make DH push me in wheelchair :)

Hi Christine!

Just wanted to say Howdy Neighbor - we are from North Attleboro too!

I hope your foot has healed and you have a great cruise! Can't wait to hear all about it.:)

Wow, same town! Too bad you're not on the same cruise with me, I'd say to carpool :)

I'm sure it I am not completely healed and I ask the doctor I am sure she would be happy to prescribe a lounge chair and boat drink and therapy :)

I see nothing wrong with wearing them expecially in your situation. that being said, why not check out some cute sandles with straps in a little different place, you are going to be somewhat in a very warm climate and tennis shoes may get awfully warm. NMNIta

• 3 months later...

The Crocs and their increasingly available knock-offs are very comfortable for people with foot problems, even hammer toes. At least with the real Crocs you can stretch the material in any direction in any spot where it's needed.

Better than Birkenstocks in some respects.

Inexpensive..under $30 and worth a try.

Could walk in the ocean and dry them off with a towel for the dining room.

Hi! My family and I will be on the Spirit on 8/4, and we don't mind sneakers in the dining rooms! I have really cute pink soccer-like sneakers that I will probably wear most of the time, so if you see a gal wearing pink sneakers, that's me! Freestyle means exactly that, just no shorts or t-shirts in the evening. My DH likes to wear polo shirts with khaki pants, and my two teen boys usually wear the same, polo shirts with khakis. My 18 year old does like to dress up, though!

See you there, and I hope you're feeling better soon!!

;) ;) ;)

I also have wide feet and they were even wider than I needed. They are also very lightweight. Not the prettiest shoe around, but they were comfortable.

If you find them too wide, just try another pair in the same size. I have noticed that some that are the same size can have a slightly different fit. (some a but wider/less wider) I have about 6 pairs in different colors and find them so comfortable. They also have a mary-jane that is a little less bulky looking.

According to the thousands of prior posts from fellow NCL cruisers, absolutely no one will either notice or care what you wear to the dining room or anywhere else on board. So wear what you need to protect that toe from being steped on when entering the dining room and all will be fine.

I was asked to leave the Terrace dining room on our 7/4 Baltic cruise on the Dream because I was wearing black, sequin trimmed, flip-flops. The hostess looked at my feet and said that I would not be seated unless I changed my shoes. I was dressed very nicely for dinner as I did every evening and my husband was dressed in what the cruiselines like to describe as "Country Club Casual". Needless to say, I was very upset. My feet were swollen and killing me after three straight days of walking in Tallin and St. Petersburg! I squeezed into slingback leather shoes and limped back into the dining room. We did mention to the Maitre'd that we were upset and he couldn't have been nicer to us the rest of the cruise. But the fact still remains, there is a policy that states what type of shoe in the dining rooms and it is inconsistantly enforced, as it was in my case.

I was asked to leave the Terrace dining room on our 7/4 Baltic cruise on the Dream because I was wearing black, sequin trimmed, flip-flops. The hostess looked at my feet and said that I would not be seated unless I changed my shoes. I was dressed very nicely for dinner as I did every evening and my husband was dressed in what the cruiselines like to describe as "Country Club Casual". Needless to say, I was very upset. My feet were swollen and killing me after three straight days of walking in Tallin and St. Petersburg! I squeezed into slingback leather shoes and limped back into the dining room. We did mention to the Maitre'd that we were upset and he couldn't have been nicer to us the rest of the cruise. But the fact still remains, there is a policy that states what type of shoe in the dining rooms and it is inconsistantly enforced, as it was in my case.

I have never heard of anyone being sent out of a dining room because of thier footware. (as long as they had footwear). But again, inconsistancy reigns. I would have asked her to point out where in their dining policy it talks about footwear. I don't think it does.

If your foot is injured, I think wearing a nice sock (and no shoe) on the foot is totally acceptable. Especially if you limp a bit for effect :D !

I would not sweat the small stuff. I just get a bit peeved when people insist on wearing jeans because they don't want to change before dinner, or they don't own anything else but jeans, etc.

But an injury is a totally different story in my book.

I too have very bad feet and wear sneakers every night in the dining rooms. I did invest in a black pair and stay very comfortable. But even when I wore my white and blue ones, no one said a word.

I have never heard of anyone being sent out of a dining room because of thier footware. (as long as they had footwear). But again, inconsistancy reigns. I would have asked her to point out where in their dining policy it talks about footwear. I don't think it does.

I saw barefeet in the buffet on the Crown. :mad:

Archived