Formal Dinners

We have never been seated at a large table while cruising, except when with family. How rude would it be to inquire if our tablemates plan to dress as reccomended for Formal Night? Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to work it into a conversation without really asking? We would prefer to go to Chops and Portafinos rather than dine, on formal night, with someone not dressed for the occasion. We have the dining room menus and would like to visit specialty venues on casual nights. We will abide by your comments (seriously).

Well, this "loud mouth slob" wears a tux on formal night :confused: . We don't have the chance to dress up much where we live and we enjoy the night for that reason. However, dress how you feel comfortable. Most folks look really nice on formal night whether they wear a tux or just something neat and sharp. I have yet had anyone ruin my evening due to how they were dressed. Enjoy yourself :D .

Me thinks you missed the point about loud mouth slobs (at least by your confused face). Me thinks the poster didn't mean to say anyone wearing a tux is a loud mouth slob. Me thinks they meant if they had to choose a table mate between a loud mouth slob in a tux or a casually dressed person with manners, they would choose the latter.

At least that's what me thinks the person meant. Of course I may have missed your point that you are a loud mouth slob. ;) Of course, me could be wrong....again. :D

We have never been seated at a large table while cruising, except when with family. How rude would it be to inquire if our tablemates plan to dress as reccomended for Formal Night? Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to work it into a conversation without really asking? We would prefer to go to Chops and Portafinos rather than dine, on formal night, with someone not dressed for the occasion. We have the dining room menus and would like to visit specialty venues on casual nights. We will abide by your comments (seriously).

Why not come right out and say, hey we're thinking of blowing off formal night and doing Chops or Portofinos and see where it goes from there. Why beat around the bush.

Of course I may have missed your point that you are a loud mouth slob. ;) Of course, me could be wrong....again. :D

:D Well, I've been accused of being a slob.....not sure about a loud mouth because I'm basically a fairly quiet person. There's always a first time though :D

Sometimes passengers don't get their luggage and they will not be dressed formally.

We had a fellow in overalls and suspenders on our last cruise in the dining room.

Popcorn coming out now.....

Last week on the Brilliance I was amazed and pleased with the formality that the vast majority of people dressed in. There had been many threads discussing this topic in the weeks and month before we went. Hubby likes to wear a tux and I like to wear gowns. It is part of the whole experience for us.

On the first formal night I would say at least half were in tuxes, kilts, military dress uniforms. The majority of the remainder were in suits, with a few blazers and/or sports jackets mixed in. I honestly don't remember seeing anyone in just a shirt and tie. The second formal night I would say there were a few more suits instead of tuxes but again everyone was extremely well dressed.

We also had two smart casual nights and most of the men were wearing sports jackets or blazers with open collar shirts with them and some (very few) with ties.

The only casual night we really saw the jeans come out was one country western night, but the other nights was dockers and polo type shirts.

The women were basically dressed to the nines every night, lots of full-length gowns on formal nights, and more pant suit type sparkly outfits on smart casual. Even on the casual night many outfits were quite formal.

Just my 2 cents but RCCL should probably do away with Formal nights and perhaps replace it with "sort of formal night". Formal dress is very specific and if they don't enforce a dress code (which they don't) then it makes no sense to have half the people in Suits/Tux's and then a bunch of people in Jeans (yes, I've seen jeans on formal nights), cotton pants, etc.

I must have been lucky with my two cruises with RCI, I've never really seen anyone turning up on formal nights dressed other than "formal". On my first cruise to the Panama Canal as we approached the locks around 6am there were people out on deck with pyjamas having their bowl of cereal which I found amusing. The decks were crowded with people marvelling at the feat of engineering that is the Canal and this middle aged guy was gettin' all upset with folk for standing on the running track as he tried to do his morning run. Some people! :p

Shug :)

Archived