Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center (Big Game Alaska)

phdiva

What were your impressions of the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center? I believe it used to be known as Big Game Alaska.

BF adores "critters" and suggested we stop there on our way from Whittier to Anchorage. I vote to see the "ice worms" at Portage Glacier. Any thoughts?

We stopped there on Saturday on out way to Anchorage.

Coach went round to show s what was where - slowed down by the grizzly who was visible from the road - a rare occurance?. Once the coach parked up we had 15 - 20 mins to rush round & see moose, black bears, elk ect & take few photos.

Not too sure the max amount of time I would have wanted there in an ideal situation - perhaps 40 mins - 1 hour max, but just my opinion

It's and OK attraction. But in Alaska there is such a vast opportunity for wildlife viewing in the WILD that this is of little interest for me. Better is to add days for touring the interior with Denali Park the best bargain around for excllent wildlife viewing opportunities.

I live in Fairbanks and have been to BGA and thought it was a great "short" tour for the money-- it was like $6 per car to drive thru, and you can park and get out to get up close to the fences. Animals are WILD in Denali Park, and you may or may not see any on your expensive tour, but for close up pics of the real deal, it is worth the stop. Lots of people were hand feeding the moose cheez-its (not allowed, but doing it anyway), or fruit from their car, or just grass picked from in front of the pen. You won't get that close to a moose in the wild. If you place your camera lens thru the fence, you can get great shots of the animals with no bars in the way. The bears I think you can't get up close to the fence, but moose, caribou, deer I think you can. There was also a musk ox, porcupine and a pen with lots of tiny orphan moose calves with a sign saying where they had been rescued (moms hit-by-cars, scared off by kids, etc). There is also a really nice gift shop and snack bar.

Thanks for the feedback.

We would be stopping at the Portage area on the last day of our trip -- a one week cruise + six days doing the Anchorage/Copper Center/Valdez/Anchorage loop via rental car and ferry -- so we will play it by ear. Depending on what time we actually get off the ferry and get through the Whittier tunnel, we may not have much time for touring before we have to be at the airport.

Regardless, I'm sure we'll have an awesome time. Now I just have to get through today at work so I can go home and start packing. Yikes!

Keep in mind also that the Wildlife Conservation Center is not only a place where people can view wildlife but it is dedicated to helping and rehabilitating injured wildlife and providing long-term care for those who cannot be returned to the wild. Yes, it is wonderful to see animals in the wild. But I also give kudos to the gentleman who started this worthwhile endeavor who is actually doing something tangible to help animals. Why can't we do both and enjoy these opportunities to enjoy and learn?

Archived