Spring Break 2008???

flamomo

We are booked on the 15 day itinerary r/t LA <-> Hawaii next March, and I just discovered that Easter is on the first Sunday of the cruise. The dreaded Spring Break!!! Oh No!

Now I am concerned that there might be a lot of kids and college students onboard.

Please help me believe that this will not be the case (since it is a 15 day cruise, and is not going to the Caribbean or the Mexican Riviera). We really don't want to have to change the dates of this cruise. But we also don't want to be over-run with the above age groups. That would really spoil the peaceful ambiance of the sea days.

I just came back on Sat. from a spring break cruise to the Mexican Riviera on the Diamond Princess. There were 700 kids on board, two of which were mine. I thought everything was quite under control. But nevertheless, you should have no worries. A two week cruise is too long and too expensive for the usual Spring Break crowd. I would love to take that cruise with my two adorable little angels, but I'd have to take them out of school for a week on top of Spring Break. Ain't gonna happen.

--Junglejane

I would not worry about it. A previous posters note it is too long and too expensive for the college crowd. I am sure there will be some kids, but at least it should not be overrun.

Another factor is there are no Senor Frogs or Margaritavilles on the way to and from. So that crowd will be on the Mexican Rivera and Caribbean routes. ;)

Most likely any college kids would just go on a 7-day or shorter cruise during spring break. Else they would be missing classes. UCLA usually has their break between winter and spring quarter (unless it's changed since I've gone), but the next week is registration

For the reassurances. Your replies verified what I was thinking and hoping.

I'm not anti-kid or college student, but wouldn't relish being on a cruise ship with hundreds of either group.

Coral makes a good point, I didnt even think of that. I believe I was the only one I know that had a 2 week break- everyone else I knew had a 1 week break.

Lots of those kids with a 2 week break probably have a 1 week budget. :D :D

i sure will miss my two week break next year (**sniffsniff**). not that i've ever actually even BEEN anywhere on spring break - every year i've worked the whole time!!! (well, this year, i took a whole four days off in a row...it was nice to just NOT BE AT WORK for awhile, hahah)

and i think most colleges have their spring break in March. and grade schools have break the third week of April. that's how we do it 'round these parts, anyhow.

When we found ourselves in Key West during spring break in March 2001, an apologetic hotel employee told us that now schools are trying to stagger their breaks over four weeks so not all colleges are taking the same week off. So if you look on a calendar of scheduled spring breaks for colleges, you'll see this.

Grade schools in the Los Angeles USD, at least, always take their spring break the week before Easter. Many religious schools here take their break after Easter.

and grade schools have break the third week of April. that's how we do it 'round these parts, anyhow.

In the midwest - we almost always have our springbreak K12 in March. I don't remember it ever being in April School often ends in May so taking a break at the end of April doesn't make sense.

I think I have heard in MA - your spring break is around a state holiday in April?

When we found ourselves in Key West during spring break in March 2001' date=' an apologetic hotel employee told us that now schools are trying to stagger their breaks over four weeks so not all colleges are taking the same week off. So if you look on a calendar of scheduled spring breaks for colleges, you'll see this.

[/quote']

This is true.

Archived