Bringing Your Own Snorkel Gear

I too, have all of mine own snorkel gear and snorkeling is always my first choice of excursions. If you do decide to purchase your own, you might want to check with a dive shop. The one I purchased will not allow water to flow back in. It is much easier to use and no more snorting salt water, even for first time users.

Thanks for all the advice! I expected that more people who had taken them would tell me it's not worth the packing room; but apparantly you all think it's not worth the money to trust the sanitizing techniques! About the life vests...the only time we've been snorkeling was 9 years ago in Hawaii, and they didn't give us any sort of life vest.....how do you dive down under water when you have a life vest on?

Thanks for all the advice! I expected that more people who had taken them would tell me it's not worth the packing room; but apparantly you all think it's not worth the money to trust the sanitizing techniques! About the life vests...the only time we've been snorkeling was 9 years ago in Hawaii, and they didn't give us any sort of life vest.....how do you dive down under water when you have a life vest on?

We should probably clarify. Snorkel vests are similar to the "life vests" on airplanes. You can wear it completely uninflated or you can inflate it as much or as little as you feel you need. (It's all manual inflation, not the type where you pull a cord and the thing inflates.) No problem with diving down (as long as it's uninflated).

beachchick

Although we bring our own masks and snorkel, if we have signed up for an excursion, gear (optional), vest, & instruction are always included. We never have a problem finding fins that fit. I will not pack fins, as they take up too much room! On the private islands, we snorkel on our own, and have never had the need for the vests or fins - we just putz around on our own. When we were on Labadee the first time, they made me put on a life vest, but did not say anything about me renting it. On our last cruise in Feb., nothing was said about it (we were at Dragon's Point Beach. The salt water allows for good flotation, and there is plenty to see close to the beach.

We should probably clarify. Snorkel vests are similar to the "life vests" on airplanes. You can wear it completely uninflated or you can inflate it as much or as little as you feel you need. (It's all manual inflation, not the type where you pull a cord and the thing inflates.) No problem with diving down (as long as it's uninflated).

beachchick

We take our own, except the fins. We've found that all our gear will fit in a small drawstring bag and zip into the lid of one suitcase. I see special suitcases/duffel bags for snorkel gear, but can't figure out what takes up all that room. In a lot of cases, it won't save money (still have to pay the excursion fee) but you do at least know who's been slobbering in the snorkel!

We used the excursion company's gear on our first cruise... my snorkel mouthpiece was "bit through". I eventually got over the "yuk", but before our 2nd cruise we bought our own and brought all of it. Next month we are bringing mask and snorkel only and will rent the fins and vest.. that way we don't have the big fins to carry around with us either before or after snorkeling.

I don't leave home without mine. We pack (we = DH and I) ours in an old hardsided suitcase we picked up for pennies at a garage sale. It's SO MUCH BETTER than wearing someone elses... yuk... And, that's our souvie suitcase as well.

Can I just make a quick funny?

But you ARE wearing someone elses, lol...whoever you bought it from at the garage sale ;)

To all...don't forget to feed the fish cereal!

But you ARE wearing someone elses, lol...whoever you bought it from at the garage sale ;)

Psssssst, I think it was the SUITCASE that was bought at the garage sale not the snorkel equipment. No more Coco Loco's for breakfast for you!!!:eek: :p :D

No no, the SUITCASE is from the garage sale, the gear is from a dive shop! :)

No no, the SUITCASE is from the garage sale, the gear is from a dive shop! :)

Psssssst, I think it was the SUITCASE that was bought at the garage sale not the snorkel equipment. No more Coco Loco's for breakfast for you!!!:eek: :p :D

Hahaha....oh dear me !

Well, still got a good laugh nonetheless!

Guest scfjjb

Unless you are diving just bring your mask and snorkel. (Hate wearing any mask but my own). If you are new to snorkeling it may not bother you.

Archived