Ventura attracting Non P&O Types

daiB

Hi K8t and aggietd,

It is great to meet some Noddy lovers. Clearly contrary to some thoughts Noddy has been a success as a marketing tool.

Some people talk about him as someone who will be found all over the ship and 'in your face' but of course the truth is that you will have to be quite 'little' to get to say hello.

For some, then, Noddy has been the hook and when they have looked at what else was on offer they have booked on Ventura.

I hope both of you and your families have a great time. I also hope you get a taste for P&O and try some of their other wonderful ships.

Aggietd, we did the same cruise as you on Arcadia last year and had a wonderful time. We love sea days and the cruise over the Atlantic was great.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Well, having vowed never to sail with P & O again - here we have just booked Ventura for 14 days Caribbean in Feb 2009. Looks like a lovely ship, great itinerary and a good price. Hope we are not disappointed!

.........unlike Princess - we have also just booked princess for April 2008 after a 4 year absence and have been able to use our Captains club membership for a small bonus.

Just shows they are all different.

Just hoping for good cruise experiences wherever we go

Hi there

It will be interesting to see how you get on and I don't know what you found on the Oceana that put you off, but having sailed on her twice and most of the rest of the fleet, I would certainly say that she isn't my favourite and if there is an alternative to her, I would go there. Having said that there are others that won't sail on anything else!

I think the Ventura will be very different from the usual P&O experience, but won't be without its critics!

Kate:o

These 'New' rules would appear to have caught out a few people who have been attracted back to P&O after some time. In particular this years good deals on OBC and car parking.

I would be interested to know how Mommy and her brood get on on Ventura. Or indeed anyone else tempted back

Thanks Dai

I would have thought it would have been good practice and great PR to have retained the loyalty bonuses if P&O were wanting to hit a new market of typically "non - P&O types" It doesn't really matter a we have booked in any case but it seemed a little odd.

For the record we don't take our "brood" on our cruises - they are all doing other holidays now and the grandchildren are only very young. We cruise with a group of friends and on this cruise we will number 20.

We are looking forward to the experience and hope that we are pleased with the service as it was mainly this area, when compared with other lines, that we were most disappointed with on our last trip with P&O.

Gail

As a humble one class Australian, can someone explain to me what 'Non P&O type' is exactly ? I thought P&O ships were all one class, no 1st, 2nd, steerage. I would have thought any passenger was welcome.

Non P&O type indeed, glad I live in one class Australia.:p

As a humble one class Australian, can someone explain to me what 'Non P&O type' is exactly ? I thought P&O ships were all one class, no 1st, 2nd, steerage. I would have thought any passenger was welcome.

Non P&O type indeed, glad I live in one class Australia.:p

HI NSWP,

I am afraid you have the wrong end of the stick:o. There are no class divisions on P&O, just those people who cruise with P&O and those who do not.

This thread is enquiring if the former are being attracted by Ventura, the new addition to the P&O fleet.

:)Happy Cruising:)

Dai

DaiB, thanks for that, not trying to offend anyone, just a bit confused.

Getting P&O mixed up with Cunard pax, now Cunard does have classes, the grade of cabin you pay for relates to the restaurant you eat in and also a lounge or two on QM2 and QE2 restricted to the 'upper class.?'

Copped some precipitation up in the north of England I see, hope you are all weathering it. We also have had our wettest June on record in the South East of Australia. Not the type of weather to be out in the cruise ships..6 metre swell today off our south coast where I live.

Best wishes from downunder, sorry for mixup.:cool:

(An extract from my review of 2004):

A WORD ABOUT CUNARDS CLASS SYSTEM

====================================

Some comments have been made in the past about a dislike of the 2 class system on QE2/QM2. I really don’t know what the fuss is about. You really have to go out of your way to notice it and it helps if you carry a big chip on your shoulder. In return for some VERY high fares, Queens Grill passengers get the following:

A suite according to the grade they’ve paid. As well as the extra private space and butler service, they can expect canapés pre-dinner in cabin, complimentary drinks in cabin and in-suite dining.

A QUEENS Grill restaurant which offers an extended menu including Dover Soles, Lobster, Chateaubriand, etc on demand. You can dine at dinner when you want (within restaurant hours and with who you want (or alone)).

A very small QUEENS Grill Bar / Lounge

A Suites concierge (a small “business” lounge) on Deck 9 where they can avoid the queues at the Grand Lobby (for Purser & Tour desks).

A narrow outdoor terrace aft on Deck 9 complete with 1 “jacuzzi”

The “out-of-bounds” public areas thus for Britannia class passengers were the Grills & Queens Grill lounge on the aft end of Deck 7 and the aft open area of Deck 9. ALL the other public areas of this enormous vessel were free for us to use & exploit.

Monocled Mutineer..old boy, thanks for that info. Stll those restrictions are there and relate to class difference, not the way to go in the 21st century. Thats what puts me off going on a Cunard ship. I suppose it all boils down to a retired General or Judge or Brain Surgeon, not wanting to sit with a truck driver, fireman or clerk.:(

DaiB, thanks for that, not trying to offend anyone, just a bit confused.

Getting P&O mixed up with Cunard pax, now Cunard does have classes, the grade of cabin you pay for relates to the restaurant you eat in and also a lounge or two on QM2 and QE2 restricted to the 'upper class.?'

Copped some precipitation up in the north of England I see, hope you are all weathering it. We also have had our wettest June on record in the South East of Australia. Not the type of weather to be out in the cruise ships..6 metre swell today off our south coast where I live.

Best wishes from downunder, sorry for mixup.:cool:

Hi NSWP,

We in NE England have not had as much as in Yorkshire, about 100 mile to the south.

However we are forcast some this afternoon. However I am away at a conference at the moment.

:) Happy Cruising:)

Dai

Cheers you UK cruisers and nothing wrong with supping a Tetley Bitter or Boddingtons either, yes I have been to UK a couple of times.

Tony Blair retired yesterday eh ? He might be on Ventura with you guys.:p (and Noddy too !!):)

Don't knock it - I've always wanted a larger back.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D

sorry

Not up to your standard old boy 3/10 (must do better)

Happy cruising

Dai

Well Ventura has seduced us into trying P&O. Especially having Noddy onboard for my toddler. Were booked on N816 the Canaries Cocktail.

Can't wait. Only cruised NCL before but looking forward to the dressing up & sense of occasion that come with it.

Only problem is my wife is going to spend a small fortune on new dresses!!

Jon

Well Ventura has seduced us into trying P&O. Especially having Noddy onboard for my toddler. We're booked on N816 the Canaries Cocktail.

Can't wait. Only cruised NCL before but looking forward to the dressing up & sense of occasion that come with it.

Jon

Well Ventura has seduced us into trying P&O. Especially having Noddy onboard for my toddler. Were booked on N816 the Canaries Cocktail.

Jon

Only a small fortune, lucky you:rolleyes:

But you will get it back over the next 20 cruises:D

Dai

• 2 weeks later...
I wish I had a platinum member. I hear it guarantees entry to almost anywhere.

Tut Tut Tut H/S

They way you are going you will never be a tin foil member never mind platinum:mad::mad:

:D:D

Coxswain,

Glad to hear you are interested in Ventura, confirming my theory. you will have to excuse H/S. strange Scottish person. Had toooooo much Jam as a child and thinks he is Oor Wullie.

FoundLove@Sea

No I was not referring to our American cousins as being 'Non P&O Types' but most of them would be.

I would never drink tea outside the UK (P&O ships count as the UK) except for the Republic of Ireland as I suspect it is save to do so there.

Happy Cruising

Dai

• 2 weeks later...

To bring us back to the topic, I have just had a look at the P&O website and bookings for Ventura for summer 2008, after the maiden cruises which seem to be full, are doing well at least as well as the other ships in the fleet. I wonder if our Equatorial weather over the last 2 months will boost warm weather cruising next year.

It would be fascinating to work in the P&O bookings department and chart the bookings for each ship.:)

I have just been reading some adverse comments about Ventura reported from cruisers and staff on Artemis, only to be expected I suppose from cruisers who pick a small ship which is child free, when thinking of a very big family ship.

Any more tales about Ventura attracting new cruisers to P&O:confused: Of course this has to happen if they are to fill the fleet which has just got 3000 beds bigger.

Dai

I have just been reading some adverse comments about Ventura reported from cruisers and staff on Artemis, only to be expected I suppose from cruisers who pick a small ship which is child free, when thinking of a very big family ship.

I think that the arrival of Ventura does make P&O's marketing task a bit more difficult. it's a very different ship from any they've had before, and might well appeal to a different type of passenger, one further away from P&O's more traditional customer base. Providing a consistent image for the company that includes both Ventura and Artemis at the extremes, and the other ships somewhere in between, is a bit of a challenge.

There is an argument to the effect that it might have been easier if Princess had based a Grand-class ship in Southampton year-round to do Brit-style cruises, similar to the way they market Sea Princess in the summer.

I think that the arrival of Ventura does make P&O's marketing task a bit more difficult. it's a very different ship from any they've had before, and might well appeal to a different type of passenger, one further away from P&O's more traditional customer base. Providing a consistent image for the company that includes both Ventura and Artemis at the extremes, and the other ships somewhere in between, is a bit of a challenge.

There is an argument to the effect that it might have been easier if Princess had based a Grand-class ship in Southampton year-round to do Brit-style cruises, similar to the way they market Sea Princess in the summer.

Tom,

I feel that it is a good thing that P&O are spreading their customer base and it gives P&O cruisers a great deal of choice, without leaving the family, as it were.

I may be wrong but the impression I get reading various cruise boards is that a cruise line has an image, a feel and that all its ships are in a similar mould.

Well P&O are in a way breaking that mould with ships of a range of sizes and appeal. The 2 adult only ships certainly make the line different. The range of dining styles is also different. Although with Ventura I feel they may have it wrong with 2 freestyle and only 1 club. That may have to change.

I like the idea of having differing styles within the same cruise line. But then having the threads which are found over all the fleet, like tea making facilities etc.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

Dai

Archived