Internet Service on QM2???

eroller

This has probably been answered before, but unfortunately the search feature of these boards is not working.

Does anyone (Crouton maybe??) have the current internet package rates for QM2, and also the per minute charge? Also, does QM2 have wireless access for laptops and internet hookups in cabins for laptops? Any idea what the rates may be?

Was the internet service on QM2 dependable and fairly fast? It was pretty dismal on the QE2 a couple years ago.

Thanks so much!

Ernie

Ernie,

I didn't use the internet but I know that my laptop picked up an available Wi-Fi connection to "QM2 Internet" througout the ship. I understand the rates get cheaper the more you use it. Perhaps someone else has the figures. Hope this helps a little.

megacruiser

QM2 Three Continents Cruise
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;3;26;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Ernie:

While I didn't buy a package, I did send a few emails. It was .50/minute.

It took about different 5 attempts to get my cruise card to work, on 4 different sets but, it finally worked. Once I was signed on, it was pretty quick.

The one thing I don't like is how open the desks are.....anyone walking by can see what you're typing.

Russ

Thanks megacruiser and Russ. I appreciate the info.

While on QE2 a couple years back, the internet was much more than $0.50 a minute. I think it was more like $1.00 a minute which was very expensive. In fact it was more expensive and the least reliable of any service I have used on other cruise lines. I'm glad Cunard listened and lowered the prices, and no doubt QM2 has a state of the art system.

Russ, the QE2 also had problems when swiping your cruise card. Instead of the card reader being magnetic, it was a bar code reader and it could never read your card until the 5th or 6th try, if at all .... and there was no way to manually enter the info. I had to get a new card at one point. It was a terrible system.

Thanks again for the info.
Ernie

I had no trouble last month on QE2 with the card, but the charge was $0.95 per min. I was there one time when someone asked for help on sending an e mail. I showed him how to send and the message went ok but when the charge came up after logging off he had spent $25. He had written his message on line at $0.95 per min. It is worth remembering - write message in Word at no cost - copy - log on - paste into e mail window. This cost me $0.95 each time. Expensive, but better than $25.
David.

Great suggestion, David.

Strange that QE2 would be more expensive than QM2. You'd think it would be the other way around. I'm quite sure QM2 was only .50 as I was on line for about 8 minutes and the bill was a few pennies over $4.00

Ernie:

I have info on the packages but it's at home. I will log on later to see if anyone has answered and if not, I'll post the info....

BTW, if you're like me....stay away from the bookshop......I couldn't resist and ended up spending $130 in just two days! Good thing I wasn't there longer.

Best,

Russ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Linerguy:

Ernie:

I have info on the packages but it's at home. I will log on later to see if anyone has answered and if not, I'll post the info....

BTW, if you're like me....stay away from the bookshop......I couldn't resist and ended up spending $130 in just two days! Good thing I wasn't there longer.

Best,

Russ<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Russ,
That would be great if you have the package info. It's more for my brother then for me, as his business relies on computers and he will have to make use of those on QM2 (or the wireless laptop option if they have it).

Not too worry, I can assure you I will be spending plenty of money in the QM2 bookshop! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] If it is anything like the one on QE2, it will be a real treat.

I received my documents and voyage information packet so I am ready to go. No cabin number yet, but hopefully by Friday. My documents were the old fashioned kind, like I had on QE2 a couple years ago... not the new spiral notebook kind. I guess since they were printed last minute? In any case, they are very nice and I love the QM2 folder they are placed in.

Best,
Ernie

Though not immediately relevant to this topic, I think somewhere or other (not sure if it was on this board) someone mentioned that QE2's internet center is going to be completely renewed during the present refit with the latest equipment. It would be interesting to know if this is the same equipment as on QM2 and if the prices will go down too?

As for documents, it's interesting that the last-minute bookings still get the old-style documents. I've not seen the new ones but I suspect that they are very similar to the type RCI and Celebrity have used for the past two years or so, with the pre-printed baggage tags etc. Not very stylish but very practical.

Doug Newman
Cruise Critic Message Boards Host
e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

You can also send and receive email on the interactive TV in your stateroom at $1.50 per message, incoming or outgoing. Of course, there is no problem with being charged while you are composing your message.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Host Doug:
Though not immediately relevant to this topic, I think somewhere or other (not sure if it was on this board) someone mentioned that QE2's internet center is going to be completely renewed during the present refit with the latest equipment. It would be interesting to know if this is the same equipment as on QM2 and if the prices will go down too?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doug,
This is good news as QE2 had the worst internet service at the most expensive rates ($0.95 per minute) of any line I have ever sailed. It was excessively slow and unreliable, especially considering what you were being charged. Also, there were no package deals, just the per-minute rate or nothing.

Silversea had the best setup so far. You can spend an hour on the internet looking at a page or composing an email and you are charged nothing. You are only charged after you press the "enter" key and are actively sending or receiving information on the internet (at $0.50 a minute if I recall correctly). Once the page is downloaded or your information has been sent, the charges stop. It was a very fair system.

Of course the very best system is on Princess Cruises. Once you become a Platinum member of their past passenger club, you have access to unlimited free internet service while onboard. It's an excellent feature and to my knowledge no other past passenger club offers this feature. It certainly makes you feel appreciated by Princess and does offer an incentive to book future cruises with them (if you are an avid Internet user like I am).

Ernie

The basic QM2 rate is 50 cents per minute. I bought a 4 hour package for $79 (I think) -- which brought the rate down to 37 cents. I forget exactly what the lowest rate was, but it was something like 27 cents a minute if you buy $400 worth of time.

There's no question that buying buying the biggest package you can (ie that you will be able to use during the trip) is the way to go.

Crouton

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Host Doug:

As for documents, it's interesting that the last-minute bookings still get the old-style documents. I've not seen the new ones but I suspect that they are very similar to the type RCI and Celebrity have used for the past two years or so, with the pre-printed baggage tags etc. Not very stylish but very practical.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I found this interesting as well. I believe the girl in documentation I spoke to was able to print and send them on the same day. Maybe this is not possible with the spiral type as they probably print overnight? I'm also wondering if the spiral type will eventually show up on my door step, especially if it is an automated process? So far I have been VERY impressed with my dealings with Cunard. I booked direct with them this time and I could not be more satisfied. I wish I could do it all time as I love not dealing with a middle-man. Unfortunately in many cases you can still get a better rate through a travel agent, at least for now.

If you want a look at the QM2 documents package, click the link below.

[url="http://tinyurl.com/2n4uq"]http://tinyurl.com/2n4uq[/url]

Best,
Ernie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Crouton:
The basic QM2 rate is 50 cents per minute. I bought a 4 hour package for $79 (I think) -- which brought the rate down to 37 cents. I forget exactly what the lowest rate was, but it was something like 27 cents a minute if you buy $400 worth of time.

There's no question that buying buying the biggest package you can (ie that you will be able to use during the trip) is the way to go.

Crouton<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Crouton! Just what I needed.

Best,
Ernie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eroller:
[B]If you want a look at the QM2 documents package, click the link below.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for the link they do look a lot like the new (well, I still think of them as new) RCI/Celebrity documents, except for the (leather?) wallet they come in.

Doug Newman
Cruise Critic Message Boards Host
e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

Ernie:

Here's the scoop on QM2's internet packages. I know Crouton has pretty much answered your question but, you might find this info helpful:

30 minutes - $13.50
60 minutes - $24.95
120 minutes - $47.95
240 minutes - $89.95
480 minutes - $167.95
960 minutes - $287.95
1920 minutes (I suggest staying at home!) - $479.95

Wired service for your laptop is available 24hrs. in your cabin by using the data port on the back of the phone and your modem.

Russ

Is anyone aware if there is software on the computers on QM2 which will allow downloading dital images, and sending a photo with an email?

Can you use the computers on the QM2 at no charge if you do not access the internet?

RickJ

I don't think there was anything to d/l digital images ricker, but I didn't enquire. There are some things available with no charge. I have scanned the Cyber Centre handout, showing all the info and what one can do [url="http://www.magwa.co.uk/qm2/qm2connexions.htm"]here[/url].

Pam

There was a man on the Yahoo Cunard board that uploaded pictures from the ship while on the just completed transatlantic voyage.He uploaded them to a website in the UK.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work
26 cruises since 1964 -Proud member of O.A.T.C.

Queen Mary 2 Maiden Caribbean Voyage 1/31/2004
HAL Zuiderdam 3/27/2004

Carnival Miracle from Tampa 11/7/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;11;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]<center>
<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/logos/time98.gif[/img]</center>

Archived