Enough time final day?

stjohnrocks

Our final day in AK, we arrive in Whittier AM flying home midnight same day. I plan on sightseeing in the Whittier to Anchorage area until noon (?) or so that day. Stopping at the Wildlife Conservation Center, Portage Glacier (no boat ride). My question is, if it is a clear day I was thinking of driving to Talkeeta for the afternoon and getting back to Anchorage by 6 or 7:00pm for dinner and to the airport by 10pm. Is this too much in one day? Another thought was skipping Talkeeta and going to Eagle River Nature Center but I read it is closed on Monday (the day we will be there). We leave in 6 weeks! Thanks!

Yes you can get to Talkeetna in a day trip. Determine why you want to go there?? Allow 2 1/2 hours each way for the drive. If McKinley is viewable, go thirty miles further on the Parks Highway for another excellent viewpoint.

This is assuming you are picking up your car in Whittier??? You won't have as much time if you are planning on an Anchorage pick up then backtracking to Portage.

Yes you can get to Talkeetna in a day trip. Determine why you want to go there?? Allow 2 1/2 hours each way for the drive. If McKinley is viewable, go thirty miles further on the Parks Highway for another excellent viewpoint.

This is assuming you are picking up your car in Whittier??? You won't have as much time if you are planning on an Anchorage pick up then backtracking to Portage.

Yes we are picking up the car in Whittier.

That is a longer drive than I thought. I was thinking if it was a clear day, maybe we could see McKinley from there and walk around the town. From your prior comments, I think we are too early for Hatcher Pass and Eagle River is closed so maybe I should forget about heading north of Anchorage and stay in town in the afternoon? Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes we are picking up the car in Whittier.

That is a longer drive than I thought. I was thinking if it was a clear day, maybe we could see McKinley from there and walk around the town. From your prior comments, I think we are too early for Hatcher Pass and Eagle River is closed so maybe I should forget about heading north of Anchorage and stay in town in the afternoon? Thanks for your thoughts.

Add another hour from Whittier to Talkeetna, the timeframe I gave was from Anchorage. You can see McKinley from Anchorage on a clear day.

Yes you are too early for Hatcher Pass.

Archived