My wife almost died...That's why we cruise every year!

manmtnmike

Why do you cruise?

We had a wake up call about how precious life and our relationship is.

It was a MIRACLE she survived, thought we plan a group cruise the MIRACLE...

Next up our CC Group cruise 2/27/08 "It's a Miracle" 8 Days>>

Never really took vacations as our kids were growing up...Now we do what it takes to sail away together instead of taking everything for granted.

So, why do you cruise?

MMMike

Thought I'd bring it back for others to experience some wonderful real life stories.

Mike

My sister and I planned our cruise in memory of our mom, we lost her Christmas 2010. Our small memorial cruise ended up being a group trip. Nothing like being on a cruise with my child's future in laws, my mom in law, dad, sister and a few others. The family dynamics were through the roof! There were some tears, good times, frustration and lots of memories. We managed to have a good time, but DH says, "NO family members on our next cruise!" It will be our 10th Anniversary, so he wins.......this time. LOL

• 2 months later...

Because my DH is a police officer, I never know if he will come home alive each work day. We cruise because we love it and it is the only time I know that I won't get a midnight phone call telling me that he has been hurt or worse! I am SO glad that he is finally going to retire after 20 years.

Because my DH is a police officer, I never know if he will come home alive each work day. We cruise because we love it and it is the only time I know that I won't get a midnight phone call telling me that he has been hurt or worse! I am SO glad that he is finally going to retire after 20 years.

Hope you have a cruise planned to celebrate these long years of service! Definitely well-deserved since police officers aren't always appreciated as the good ones should be. Enjoy his retirement!:)

Hope you have a cruise planned to celebrate these long years of service! Definitely well-deserved since police officers aren't always appreciated as the good ones should be. Enjoy his retirement!:)

Yes, we have a great cruise booked and paid for. We are going on a 48 day cruise around the Horn of South America. The hard part now is waiting!

I too haven't read all the posts, otherwise, I would need a box of kleenex to make it through them all. Life is so precious. We have done 5 family cruises over the last decade (we started in 2000). These times together as family have been some of the most precious memories. Our first cruise in 2000, my husband and I were going to go and celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary (and I was pregnate!!) and leave our two older sons with grandparents... grandparents said, well, could they come with us??? So instead of it being just DH and I, it was both sets of parents and kids. And you know what? We had the best time!!

Two years later, my parents wanted to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary on a cruise ship... so we all gladly went and had another wonderful time. It was an even bigger group and just as much fun!

Then two years later, we decided to go on a Christmas Cruise, and of course, my parents went with us! (And I found cruise critic for the first time, and made some wonderful friends!)...

Then in 2006, our son, who was graduating from high school, we took another cruise. My mom was hesitant to book, but my dad convinced her to go with us - because you never know when it might be the last time. Well, that was the last cruise we did with my parents. I lost my dad less than a year later.

But spunky mom, wanted to do a Mediterrean cruise, so my sister, brother and I went with her along with some other extended family. It was our last cruise with mom... 4 months later she had a stroke and was left paralyzed. But what memories we have!

Now, mom and dad are together on the eternal cruise! And we are sailing, once again as a family in 29 days on the Carnival Dream, and we're going to celebrate the legacy of my parents, and build new wonderful memories with our two sons (who are now married!!)...and our daughter, my sister and her family, and other extended family members. What a wonderful way to have memories to cherish for a lifetime!

I decided to start cruising this year because I finally turned 21 and I can try all the yummy drinks! I feel like I would've been missing out before lol. Also, I have recently been feeling like many people on here and have adopted the "life is too short" mentality. I want to start seeing the world and stuff! Most of all, I just need a vacation. I'm a full time college student with a part-time job and I am taking summer classes. As soon as the semester is over I am taking a much needed break!!!!!

I started cruising after I was diagnosed with cancer 8 years ago. I found that planning a cruise or vacation gave me something to look forward to. A short-term goal that was attainable and enjoyable. Since then, I've had 2 more recurrences, but I've cruised during both of them. It has been the best therapy for me!!

Edited by Lusitano

I started cruising after I was diagnosed with cancer 8 years ago. I found that planning a cruise or vacation gave me something to look forward to. A short-term goal that was attainable and enjoyable. Since then, I've had 2 more recurrences, but I've cruised during both of them. It has been the best therapy for me!!

Hope you have no more reoccurences but continue to enjoy cruising! Had a friend who loved to cruise. When he was diagnosed with a terminal disease, no treatments, he opted to cruise as often as possible in the remaining years. Within the last year of his life he went on ten cruises and always returned joyous that he'd seen beloved places and beaches again. Would bet those who met him on the cruises had no idea of his sickness since he looked good. He "had a good time" in this life and I miss him daily.

Hope you have no more reoccurences but continue to enjoy cruising! Had a friend who loved to cruise. When he was diagnosed with a terminal disease, no treatments, he opted to cruise as often as possible in the remaining years. Within the last year of his life he went on ten cruises and always returned joyous that he'd seen beloved places and beaches again. Would bet those who met him on the cruises had no idea of his sickness since he looked good. He "had a good time" in this life and I miss him daily.

Thank you! Most people have no idea of my illness either as it's not visible on the outside. Sorry for the loss of your friend.

My mother had many things that she never did because she was aways worried about money, figured she would do them later and some other reasons. At 46 she was diagnosed with cancer and she passed away 3 months later. I want to not have regrets.

The other reason is that I have a 5 yo daughter and I want her to have wonderful experiences.

My mother had many things that she never did because she was aways worried about money, figured she would do them later and some other reasons. At 46 she was diagnosed with cancer and she passed away 3 months later. I want to not have regrets.

The other reason is that I have a 5 yo daughter and I want her to have wonderful experiences.

Sorry for the loss of you mother at such a young age. One of the things that ticks me off is the people that judge me while cruising. I look fine and therefore they think I'm healthy. Some people are so shallow/ignorant!!

Just found this thread today...

I was commuting 190 miles R/T to work each day and wanted a vacation that didn't involve driving!! That was last year--our first cruise. We want to try to do one a year and are leaving in a few weeks for cruise #2. We'll see how long we can keep it up.

Sorry for the loss of you mother at such a young age. One of the things that ticks me off is the people that judge me while cruising. I look fine and therefore they think I'm healthy. Some people are so shallow/ignorant!!

Thank you. I hope that all the people who judge you while cruising get a little seasick while you are having the time of your life!:p

In 1993 I was diagnosed with stage four breast cancer. The outlook for me was very bleak and the chance of survival was not the best of odds. After many sessions of chemo therapy, radiation, shingles, and too many colds and spending time in isolation instead of with the family I made it through. I don't know why I was spared but am thankful.

Anyway when all was over my sister who was my best friend at the time told me that she wanted to do something special with me to celebrate so she booked a cruise and that started my addiction. I will never forget that first cruise and the first cruise that my husband decided to join me on and treasure it for life.

I am now retired and look forward to one cruise a year. My cancer has never returned and I don't think I would want it to. I loved cruising and I will do so as long as is humanly possible.

This past couple of years we have brought our son and grandson along and it has been great fun to watch my grandson with all the firsts that he experienced. I hope he continues to travel when he is older and has a memory of his first cruise forever.

Sharon I

I knew someone like that myself. She continues to try to demean me on CC. I guess that would make her shallow and ignorant as well, right?

And a bully.

Being online in any forum can bring out some real rude characters who'd never speak in person the way they type.

I try to visualize people who make posts and the demeaning posts always bring not so complimentary (but often funny) mental images.:) Try that next time you get an ugly response.

And a bully.

Being online in any forum can bring out some real rude characters who'd never speak in person the way they type.

I try to visualize people who make posts and the demeaning posts always bring not so complimentary (but often funny) mental images.:) Try that next time you get an ugly response.

Yes. This happened to me. This person went so far as accusing me of disability fraud in this forum cause I looked healthy and was cruising. I had stage 4 cancer. I never forgave her and never will. Thank goodness the powers at be removed the thread because of how attacking it was.

Edited by Lusitano

Old thread but new to cruising and new to CC... I booked a cruise 6 years ago for my parents to celebrate their 55th wedding anniversary..they had been on a couple different cruises and loved it they so wanted to go to Alaska on a cruise... so their wish I could honor...my mother passed away 2 days before they were to sail...(trip insurance is wonderful BTW) My dad left us last year and before he passed away he told me he always had wished they could have taken that one last cruise....

So.... my family, DH, kids and grandson are taking the cruise for my parents...and we will scatter a portion of their ashes along the way.....Life is short.....

Manmtnmike, I might have said this before at the beginning of this thread. My DH and I did 8 cruises in 6 yrs before he passed away. We had two booked for the next year (2009). I went on both of them with other people, his sister (S. Carib.) and a friend I met in bereavement group (Mediterranean).

Since then I have done 3 more cruises, another with my SIL(S. Carib.) and two with friends. (Scand/Russia last summer and S. Carib in Feb)

In Aug. a friend, who was one of the four of us who did a S. Carib. cruise in Feb., is going with me to Alaska. DH and I did an Alaska cruise/tour in Aug/2003 and I've always wanted to go back. This friend had gone on a cruise 18 yrs ago, but now is hooked and wants to keep cruising. It's her "bucket list", lol.

I recently re-connected with a 2nd cousin who lives near me. She really wants to cruise and we might do a Carib. cruise in the winter.

For me, life's too short to give up cruising. :D

Hello Laura - We have missed hearing from you on our Star Princess Roll Call for March of 2013. We have a great group and lots of tours planned. Come on over and chat with us.

Hello Laura - We have missed hearing from you on our Star Princess Roll Call for March of 2013. We have a great group and lots of tours planned. Come on over and chat with us.

Hi Bobbie,

I had to cancel this cruise for the meantime, :-(. If things change, I will rebook. Lots of things going on . If I don't end up joining you, have a fantastic trip!

I lost my husband David of 13 years in 2008 to a heart attack. I cruise because, like Jack and Rose on the Titanic, I promised that I would go all the places we'd wanted to go.

We'd cruised together only twice but it was going to be our vacation of choice. Since he passed away, I've been on 5 cruises (some solo, some with friends) and I have two more planned.

I have a memorial bead that has some of David's ashes in it so he is always with me.

That's why I cruise!

Lynette :o