Holland America Guest Relations

2kitties

Apparently Holland America would prefer to sweep things under the rug instead of trying to fix a noise problem for future passengers. It could have easily been corrected, but it appears they don't want to take the time or effort to do anything about it. I received the following email from them this afternoon.

We are in receipt of the e-mail regarding your ms NOORDAM cruise on March 10, 2007.

We sincerely apologize that you were dissatisfied with your accommodations due to noise. Unfortunately, passenger vessels are subject to noise from activities associated with cruising and can be expected from public rooms such as the galley, entertainment stages, dining areas, as well as from neighboring staterooms, guest and crew activities, and, finally, movement of the ship itself. Our staff on board will offer earplugs and if other staterooms are available, they will offer these for sleeping purposes or full-time use, depending on the overall sailing.

It might help if you could tell us what your noise problem was to begin with... I am going to assume that it dealt with the other post referring to the noise the deck chairs above your VA suite made as the crew was setting them up.

What do you propose HAL should do about it?

I don't understand why it would be surprising some cabins could experience noise. That is why it is always a great idea to study deck plans carefully. If your cabin is immediately above the show lounge, there's a real good chance you'll hear noise.

If you are next to a public laundry room, one would expect to hear some noise there as well.

Good chance you could hear the anchor chain or thrusters if you are far aft.

Cabins should be chosen carefully and using good judgment as to what areas are potential sources of noise if you are sensitive to it.

What is the ship to do if someone hears noise from above......shut down the public space and not allow pax to use it? Not drop the anchor? Not lower tenders?

What was the noise that disturbed you?

I am sorry this is not what you hoped to read here but I don't see anything wrong with the e-mail you have copied here.

Hope your next cruise is more comfortable for you.

I agree with Sail, which is why I never book a guarantee. If you are a light sleeper you need to carefully study the deck plans to make sure you are away from elevators, laundry, show lounge, or not below the swimming pool.

I'm not sure what you expect Hal to do, but they did say they would try to move a passenger if possible, or offer ear plugs.

We have stayed in cabins right under the Lido deck and the most we every heard was a dull thump - nothing loud. Sometimes an occasional scrape along the ground, but nothing prolonged. It's not that bad!

Maybe I should have been a little clearer when I posted my original note about the Guest Relations on Holland America. I can understand that some areas on the ship are apt to be more noisy then other locations. In this case, if they replaced the chairs on the Lido Deck, specially the aft part of the ship or layed some indoor/outdoor carpeting, the noise would disappear. Someone didn't do their homework before ordering the chairs. They looked good and served a useful function, but they didn't seem to care about the end result. I blame the cruise lines in this case. They would prefer to hand out earplugs, then find a soluation.

We have stayed in cabins right under the Lido deck and the most we every heard was a dull thump - nothing loud. Sometimes an occasional scrape along the ground, but nothing prolonged. It's not that bad!

Windy City, in our room, it was non-stop from early morning to late at night. Every time someone sat down or stood up, you could hear the noise.

In this case, if they ... layed some indoor/outdoor carpeting, the noise would disappear.

Not a very good solution---then all the other passengers wouldn't have those lovely teak decks. That's part of what makes HAL, HAL.

Let this be a reminder to everyone booking a cabin---there are six sides to every cabin. It's best to check what's next to all of them before selecting one.

Not a very good solution---then all the other passengers wouldn't have those lovely teak decks. That's part of what makes HAL, HAL.

Let this be a reminder to everyone booking a cabin---there are six sides to every cabin. It's best to check what's next to all of them before selecting one.

If a person who booked a room under the Lido Deck that had poor hearing, all they would have to do is remove their hearing aide. Wish I didn't have such good hearing. I tried earplugs, but it didn't shut out the noise.

Personally I could care less the type of wood used on the ships. Teak is mainly used, because it doesn't seem to warp.

The other 7 cruises I have taken, never had noise problem. Even if I had picked this room, I wouldn't have expected what happened. Holland America should take the responsibilty to fix the problem, since it is possible. They would prefer to take blind eye to it.

We were in a Mini Suite in January on the Pacific Princess and were immediately below the Lido deck on that ship. We did hear some scraping of chairs during the day, but that didn't affect us at all as we were either on our balcony or in and out of the cabin.

As long as the noise is not made at night when you are trying to sleep, I cannot see what all the fuss is about. I certainly do not go on a ship to sleep during the day.

We learnt from the booking of that cabin and in future I will make sure what is above and below us.

Jennie

Maybe I should have been a little clearer when I posted my original note about the Guest Relations on Holland America. I can understand that some areas on the ship are apt to be more noisy then other locations. In this case, if they replaced the chairs on the Lido Deck, specially the aft part of the ship or layed some indoor/outdoor carpeting, the noise would disappear. Someone didn't do their homework before ordering the chairs. They looked good and served a useful function, but they didn't seem to care about the end result. I blame the cruise lines in this case. They would prefer to hand out earplugs, then find a soluation.

INDOOR/OUTDOOR CARPETING...... I AM LITERALLY GASPING FOR AIR.

You would like for HAL to replace those magnificent teak decks with indoor/outdoor carpeting?

I have never heard that preference expressed.

We sailed Ocean Princess when she was new and part of Princess' Fleet. We were hugely disappointed with their pool area and most weather deck space. It was all that disgusting green fake grass.

We RAN back to HAL for the beautiful teak decks.

I am with Sail! Carpeting near the pool????? We only do hardwood floors at home. In fact, we have teak deck chairs that we had made in Bali and exported home. They look like the ones on Hal (although we had them before we cruised on a Hal ship). We still haven't gotten around to building a roof deck so that we can use them...

I am curious if cabins below or adjacent to areas prone to noise are priced differently than the same cabin in a quieter area.
Sure! That's why on the Vistas the SS cabins are on deck 8 and the SA are on deck 7! :)

Alrighty, how about it if HAL afixes furniture foot pads to the chairs in the LIDO? This way, no one messes with the floors and the LIDO furiture would silently glide instead of scrape across the floor. I think it would reduce a lot of the noise and not disturb pax quiet enjoyment of their cabin.

Alrighty, how about it if HAL afixes furniture foot pads to the chairs in the LIDO? This way, no one messes with the floors and the LIDO furiture would silently glide instead of scrape across the floor. I think it would reduce a lot of the noise and not disturb pax quiet enjoyment of their cabin.

Um, it's on a ship. You don't want furniture that glides, you want furniture that stays put when the ship is rolling!

Taking a cabin directly under the Lido, or taking a hotel room next to the elevator, or buying a house next to the airport - smart people check the "neighborhood" before making the commitment.

If we're talking about Lido pool area......there is no teak there. There is some sort of compostion floor at the Lido pool.

The teak deck is at aft pool and Dave is right. Furniture shouldn't be sliding all over the place when the ship is sailing.

We were in a Mini Suite in January on the Pacific Princess and were immediately below the Lido deck on that ship. We did hear some scraping of chairs during the day, but that didn't affect us at all as we were either on our balcony or in and out of the cabin.

As long as the noise is not made at night when you are trying to sleep, I cannot see what all the fuss is about. I certainly do not go on a ship to sleep during the day.

We learnt from the booking of that cabin and in future I will make sure what is above and below us.

Jennie

I stay up half the night and sleep half the day. We had a balcony, which my husband wanted, but I think I spent about 2 minutes on it taking pictures.

Hammybee, you have the right idea. That would be my first thought. I physically looked at the bottom of the chair legs. If they could add something like teflon to the tips of the legs, the chairs would move smoothly. Those would foot pads would be ideal for this situation and it wouldn't cost the cruise a bundle.

Um, it's on a ship. You don't want furniture that glides, you want furniture that stays put when the ship is rolling!

Taking a cabin directly under the Lido, or taking a hotel room next to the elevator, or buying a house next to the airport - smart people check the "neighborhood" before making the commitment.

How do you know in advance how much noise will be produced from outside your room, especially when it come to furniture? I can understand noise that comes traffic or people talking, but furniture? When I was a kid, we had light weight furniture in our kitchen. I use to rock back & forth on them. It use to drive my mother nuts. One day I came from school and found she replaced the chairs. The new ones were very heavy and couldn't be moved, unless you picked them. Maybe those are the kind of chairs Holland America should buy for their Lido Deck?

Next time book a hotel.

If I booked a hotel, I wouldn't be able to see the world, without packing and unpacking my bags. I would miss all the great food and service you get on a ship. Most of the entertainment I've seen is worth the cost of a cruise. All I ask is that Holland America fix their chairs. I don't think that is asking too much. Other people have complained about similar problems, so I'm not the first, nor will I be the last.

How do you know in advance how much noise will be produced from outside your room, especially when it come to furniture? I can understand noise that comes traffic or people talking, but furniture? When I was a kid, we had light weight furniture in our kitchen. I use to rock back & forth on them. It use to drive my mother nuts. One day I came from school and found she replaced the chairs. The new ones were very heavy and couldn't be moved, unless you picked them. Maybe those are the kind of chairs Holland America should buy for their Lido Deck?

How 'bout we bolt and/or screw them suckers to the deck? That way, there is no moving the puppies! Deck guys happy, sun worshippers happy, cabin dwellers below happy, everybody happy! Don't worry, be happy! Problem solved

Seems like an awful lot of flag waivers are congregating here again

Archived