Help with MOG dress

cruzisme

I am a fellow cruiser with a big question !! August wedding, church setting.

As a 5'1" lady, size 8 dress size, Asian background, I need your help in locating some dress ideas. I am not keen on what I have seen in the stores that are known as MOB outfits (ie long pastel dress with long sleeved jacket)

I prefer the richer colours of the palette versus any pastels or beige.

Please help with ideas and then I can search, search,search.

If this dress works out, it might even make it to the OZ cruise that I am doing in Sept!

If it were me, I'd probably look for a little guidance from the bride. Ask her what she'd like you to wear. If I were you (and I am envious of this fact) I would look into something ethnic, I'm not sure what formal wear is for your Asian background since you don't say what nationality you are. I love ethnic formal wear, whether it is Japanese, Chinese, African, Scottish, any South American country etc.... I just look silly in anything exotic, but I love to see it on others.

Coordinate with the color of the bridesmaids and the MOB (not match!), I'm sure you will look lovely :)

I'm also looking for a MOG dress and know what you're going through.

Rule #1. The bride's mom gets first pick.

Rule #2. The groom's mom gets the leftovers.

In my case, the wedding is less than 2 months away and the bride's mom won't go shopping! And I leave for a 17-day cruise a month before the wedding!

The bride has told us she wants us to wear pastels. Her mom looks best in blue or lavender, her bridesmaids are wearing green, so that leaves yellow (NOT!) and pinks or corals. I found the dress of my dreams but it's totally beaded, very formal, and I know the MOB will be wearing the traditional straight shift dress with jacket with little or no embellishment.

I agree, talk to the bride and take direction from her. And I second the idea of ethnic clothing if you're comfortable with that!

jettaleea

I'm also looking for a MOG dress and know what you're going through.

Rule #1. The bride's mom gets first pick.

Rule #2. The groom's mom gets the leftovers.

In my case, the wedding is less than 2 months away and the bride's mom won't go shopping! And I leave for a 17-day cruise a month before the wedding!

The bride has told us she wants us to wear pastels. Her mom looks best in blue or lavender, her bridesmaids are wearing green, so that leaves yellow (NOT!) and pinks or corals. I found the dress of my dreams but it's totally beaded, very formal, and I know the MOB will be wearing the traditional straight shift dress with jacket with little or no embellishment.

I agree, talk to the bride and take direction from her. And I second the idea of ethnic clothing if you're comfortable with that!

jettaleea

That sound like great advice. I would talk to the bride.

I've always been told re: MOG- "Show Up, Shut Up and Wear Beige.":D

I told my mom and my husband's mom they could wear whatever they wanted as long as they didn't clash with each other. My mom chose sage green and my MIL chose pink (which I hate, but hey, she's a fair skinned blond and it looks good on her :p ) Unless the bride specifically says you need to wear pastels, I don't see a problem wearing a jewel tone....

One of my best friends from high school married a guy from Vietnam. At their rehearsal dinner, all the women from the bride's AND groom's families wore ao dais. They were amazingly gorgeous! (the wedding was black tie and their rehearsal dinner was fairly formal as well, not black tie but upscale cocktail:p )

Wish I had some upscale shops to choose from! I live near Pittsburgh and there's just nothing. Macy's doesn't do it.

I wore a bright red beaded suit last January for my daughter's wedding and felt like a million bucks. She and her fiance knew that was my color and the bridesmaids were in hunter green so it was perfect.

jettaleea

thanks for your replies. I will probably head down to WA state and look about in Nordstroms etc. Wish there was a nearby Dillards, NM or anything! It sounds like we need a designer who is willing to create outfits for younger MOB and MOG.:)

well the bride says whatever I wish to wear. she thinks her mom will probably select a blue colour of some sort. (which is one of my fave colours too!) I look good in blues, emerald green, deep purple, hot pink or fuschia, turquoise--are you seeing that I prefer rich vibrant colours? don't want to pressure her mom as she has a lot on her mind (ie DH is not well).

if you see something,pls. post here!

thanks again!:o

I've always been told re: MOG- "Show Up, Shut Up and Wear Beige.":D

Very funny and now since my son is very very smitten shall we say, I'll try to remember this if the time comes! However I am only good at showing up!

Archived