mask for petite adult

Travelight

I was thinking of getting a mask and snorkel set from Academy Sports or Bass Pro Shops. From reading on here, I definitely want a dry top snorkel. Should I get a child's size mask in order for it to fit tightly to my face ?(my head is not real big! haha):D Or will a regular adult mask work just fine.

In the past, my husband has had masks that the strap eventually wore out. Are there replacements for the straps?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you for the info!

I was thinking of getting a mask and snorkel set from Academy Sports or Bass Pro Shops. From reading on here, I definitely want a dry top snorkel. Should I get a child's size mask in order for it to fit tightly to my face ?(my head is not real big! haha):D Or will a regular adult mask work just fine.
You can't really know if a mask will fit without actually trying it. I would start with a youth sized mask, but be sure it is made as well as an adult mask. It should have a glass lens, not plastic. The mask skirt should be soft, pliable, silicone, not plastic.

I got this mask for my daughter and it also fits my petit wife: http://www.deepseeinc.com/products/otter_kids_mask.html

If I was to buy any scuba/snorkel gear over the internet, I'd buy from http://www.scubatoys.com They provide excellent customer service. here is a kids mask they offer.

In the past, my husband has had masks that the strap eventually wore out. Are there replacements for the straps?

Yes. You can get one from scubatoys or from your local dive shop if you have one nearby.

My wife has the same situation you do, namely that she has a very small face. We found a dive shop that had about a dozen Oceanmaster Z4 masks made that were regular adult masks but with smaller skirts intended for youth. This combo provided a perfect fit for her.

The advantage to this solution is that diopter corrective lenses are available for the adukt mask whereas they may not be available for a youth mask. We both wear glasses so the corrective lenses are important. The water does magnify everything by approximately 25% but clearly seeing the readout on a dive computer is easier with the diopter corrective lenses.

Regardless of the corrective lense situation, the fit of your mask whether snorkling or diving is critical. One of the best things to do would be to locate a dive shop near you and then try a number of different masks on until you find the one that is a perfect fit. There is no 'standard' when it comes to SCUBA mask sizing. A knowlegeable dive shop operator will know which masks are narrower. You'll probably pay more for a mask purchased from a dive shop but often it's money well spent. There is nothing mre miserable than wearing a mask that leaks which you have to keep constantly clearing.

We are out of town right now but will returning home Monday the 9th. My email address on Yahoo is the same as my ID here. If you want more info on the Oceanmaster mask send me an email. I have all the information at home on my big system.

Everyone have a great Easter.

Archived