Falklands Conflict "25 Anniversary"

GAV BOY

As well as it being the "QE2,s" 40th Anniversary, it is also 25 years since the end of the Falklands Conflict.

I wonder wether there will be any celebrations onboard to commemorate any part of the "QE2,s" participation !

regards,

Gavin :cool:

May 1st 1982- The Liner "QE2" was requisitioned to take the 5th Infantry Brigade To join the Falklands Task Force along with Cunards container ship "Atlantic Causeway" 14,946 tons, used to carry ,guns, helicopters,transport and stores of the 5th Infantry Brigade.

June 11th - The "QE2" returns to her home port of Southampton. She carried the 629 survivors of the three warships "HMS Coventry", "HMS Ardent" and "HMS Antelope".

June 14th 1982- End of the conflict !

This was when i was proud to be British !:D

Regards,

Gavin, don't forget Cunard's other ship, Atlantic Conveyor, which was lost in action. :(

Thanks Lanky Lad,

Didn,t know that piece of Information !

regards,

Gavin, don't forget Cunard's other ship, Atlantic Conveyor, which was lost in action. :(

OK found the Info !

May 26th- The Atlantic Conveyor, 14,946 tons was struck by two exocet missiles and abandoned. Captain North was killed in the attack. Some valuable equipment and stores were lost including thousands of tents for the British troops !

regards,

My husband and I sailed with our three children on the first post war sailing of the QE2 from New York. Great send off with fire boats, fireworks etc. and many Argentinian protestors and bamb threats before sailing.Lots of Security which was almost unknown then. The ship was in great shape and we have been Cunard fans ever since! We celebrated a mini anniversary of this cruise with the same children, spouses etc. on the QM2 four years ago. On again this September:) .

B.

My husband and I sailed with our three children on the first post war sailing of the QE2 from New York. Great send off with fire boats' date=' fireworks etc. and many Argentinian protestors and bamb threats before sailing.Lots of Security which was almost unknown then. The ship was in great shape and we have been Cunard fans ever since! We celebrated a mini anniversary of this cruise with the same children, spouses etc. on the QM2 four years ago. On again this September:) .

B.[/quote']

Hi Betsy,s mom, Thanks for your input.

Sounds lovely, have a great time ! :D

regards,

Isn't the QE2's stop in Stanley, Falkland Islands in 2008 the first time that she has been back there since she was painted "battleship gray"? I thought that I had read that somewhere?

Not positive, but i think she may of visited in 1992 to celebrate the 10th anniversary. Maybe someone else can tell us !

Not positive, but i think she may of visited in 1992 to celebrate the 10th anniversary. Maybe someone else can tell us !

Hi Gavin,

I was on the QE2 on that trip to the Port Stanley. We were very late arriving because she nearly ran aground coming down the river Plate from Montevideo. So we only had about four hours in port. It was a fairly quiet visit but we did have flyover from some jets and helicopters. Don't forget that the QE2 went to South Georgia island and it was actually the Canberra that went to the Falkland islands. There was a great photograph of the penquins all lined up on the beach with the QE2 anchored in the background.

Hi Gavin,

I was on the QE2 on that trip to the Port Stanley. We were very late arriving because she nearly ran aground coming down the river Plate from Montevideo. So we only had about four hours in port. It was a fairly quiet visit but we did have flyover from some jets and helicopters. Don't forget that the QE2 went to South Georgia island and it was actually the Canberra that went to the Falkland islands. There was a great photograph of the penquins all lined up on the beach with the QE2 anchored in the background.

Hi Pkpon,

I would love to go to the Falklands sounds great ! :D

regards,

Isn't the QE2's stop in Stanley, Falkland Islands in 2008 the first time that she has been back there since she was painted "battleship gray"? I thought that I had read that somewhere?

Unless I was mis-led by press reports at the time and from P&O crews on our three voyages aboard the Canberra, the QE2 did not actually sail to the Falkland Islands during the conflict. The troops were transferred to other vessels for the final voyage to the site. The reason that I heard was that the government did not want to risk such a famous and expensive-to-replace ship. Instead, it was P&O's Canberra that was sent into the conflict. The Canberra was in fact attacked by aircraft which, fortunately, missed.

I've seen photos of a banner carried on the side of the Canberra when it arrived back in Southampton; it read: "Canberra cruises where QE2 refuses." I make this posting just as clarification, not to minimise the contribution that the QE2 made in getting troops to the Falklands.

March 2005, while on a Regal Princess cruise 'round the Horn, I went on a "Battlefields of the Falklands" tour originating in Port Stanley. The tour guide was a retired Regimental Sergeant Major, although he did not serve in the Falklands Campaign. Absolutely fascinating tour.

The Brits really pulled off a logistical coup during that campaign.

• 1 month later...

There was a reunion held onboard the QE2 on May !3th, for all the survivors that they rescued which i believe was 194.

I will be onboard on the 11th of June, the date the QE2 returned to Southampton and also the 14th, the date the Argentinians surrendered !

regards,

As well as it being the "QE2,s" 40th Anniversary, it is also 25 years since the end of the Falklands Conflict.

I wonder wether there will be any celebrations onboard to commemorate any part of the "QE2,s" participation !

regards,

hi gavin,

are you on our cruise that departs on 8th july?

glenn.

A propos of the 25th Anniversary, the BBC has made available its documentary on how the ship prepared for its adventure. It can be found here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/southtoday/content/articles/2007/05/02/falklands_queen_feature.shtml

Gavin

Thanks Gavin ( great name by the way ):D

regards,

Archived