Cabin Steward

This should be another interesting thread. The cabin steward in one of our rooms took all the clothes that were not put away that was either on the bed, couch or floor and shoved them in a big ball underneath the chair in the room. This included ties, shoes and dress pants. There was no prior warnings before this happened and the room was not that messy. Another person had a similar experince on our trip their steward use a garbage bag for the clothes that was left out and put it on top of the waste basket. I asked our cabin steward if he thought this was approraite and he said yes. Thoughts?

I would have made a formal complaint against him. I know it's his job to clean the room, but to roll your clothes in a big ball and put them under a chair? :eek:

He is also not allowed to judge how clean or messy you keep things. After all, it is your vacation!

I would be on the phone with the head of housekeeping so fast it would make your head. I can pretty well guarantee that what they did is totally against the rules....that they are only allowed to move in order to say, make the bed. That was how it was at the hotel I used to be the night auditor for. There is a whole liability canof worms if they do much more than that.

Oh yea I would have been to head of housekeeping asap.

I have a bad habit, when I cruise alone, to pile things in the chair in my cabin, only for a day maybe, then put them away. I had a cabin steward that was so nice, he would fold them for me! Even if it was stuff I hung up normally.. LOL I thought it was nice.

Errmmm, to be honest we put ALL our clothes away every time we leave the cabin. It may sound odd, but I don't want anything to be in the way of the cabin steward - so we make sure that the cabin is always "ship shape" before we go out.

He is also not allowed to judge how clean or messy you keep things. After all, it is your vacation!

Agreed if the poor steward didn't have to clean the cabin - what should he do about the clothes on the bed and the floor? Leave them there and not make the bed and not hoover the floor? Move them, make the bed, hoover the floor, then put them back EXACTLY where they were? Pile them all on a chair/couch?

I agree that rolling them in a ball and stuffing them under the chair isn't good. I ALMOST see sense about "putting them in a bag" (i.e. "clothes left lying around" = "dirty laundry" = put in a bag...). But I think it is a "none to subtle hint" to pick up after yourselves: not a moral judgement, just to allow the steward to get on with his job... No, it wasn't done well at all, but what do you think he should do with the clothes?

Boo

This should be another interesting thread. The cabin steward in one of our rooms took all the clothes that were not put away that was either on the bed, couch or floor and shoved them in a big ball underneath the chair in the room. This included ties, shoes and dress pants. There was no prior warnings before this happened and the room was not that messy. Another person had a similar experince on our trip their steward use a garbage bag for the clothes that was left out and put it on top of the waste basket. I asked our cabin steward if he thought this was approraite and he said yes. Thoughts?

If you leave clothes on the bed and on the floor how do you expect the cabin steward to do his job. I guess the question is what would your reaction have been if the cabin steward did not clean the cabin at all because you had stuff lying all around the place. Would you have complained that the cabin had not been cleaned or would you have acknowledged that it was your own fault the steward could not clean the cabin.

If you leave clothes on the bed and on the floor how do you expect the cabin steward to do his job. I guess the question is what would your reaction have been if the cabin steward did not clean the cabin at all because you had stuff lying all around the place. Would you have complained that the cabin had not been cleaned or would you have acknowledged that it was your own fault the steward could not clean the cabin.

I would expect the steward to move the clothes (as they have done on many of my cruises) to the couch or a chair, not to have them wadded up into a ball under a chair or in a bag. If the steward found it impossible to clean my cabin they could leave a reminder to let me know so I may correct the issue.

I don't live like a pig on my cruises but when I go to breakfast (before I shower) I usually have some clothes on the bed or the floor (I pick up before I go for the day). If the steward comes in while I am at breakfast I would expect as above.

I totally agree with superjerry and Boo Boo. It is not their job to pick up clothes and fold them. They are there to clean your cabin, not once, but twice a day. I can understand if one item of clothing was left out, but to walk in a cabin with clothes all over the room, the cabin steward now has two jobs to do. I wonder if you tipped him double????

I totally agree with superjerry and Boo Boo. It is not their job to pick up clothes and fold them. They are there to clean your cabin, not once, but twice a day. I can understand if one item of clothing was left out, but to walk in a cabin with clothes all over the room, the cabin steward now has two jobs to do. I wonder if you tipped him double????

Exactly, the cabin sounded pretty messy to me :confused: :eek:

Patiently waiting to read the OPs next vent :rolleyes:

###

On my first cruise on Carnival Ecstasy in a Cat. 12 cabin, my mom and i were getting ready for formal nite. I had bought some black bras in galveston at the last minute and threw all of them in my suitcase. I was getting dressed and I could NOT find ANY of my black bras! We tore that cabin apart looking for them, and finally, we looked in the closet and she had hung them up on a coathanger and hung them up behind all the other clothes!! It would have been funny at the time except we were about to be late and I HAD to have a black bra because of the shirt i was wearing!

I would like to know which ship/saling/stateroom. Was this the first or second day? Did this happen only once or every day? Did it stop? Did you tidy up more after that? Did you speak to anyone else about this besides the steward? There's more to this story.

We've sailed a lot, and I have never heard of such a thing happening on any line. We have never had this happen to us; we leave clothes around on chairs, not on the floor, except for the shoes. We have never had friends or tablemates mention such a thing. Maybe you had some poor soul of a steward who was at the end of his rope.

Leslie

While I think the action of the stewardis absolutely unacceptable I have to say the mess in the cabin is as well. Clothes shouldn´t be all over the cabin (couch, bed & floor:eek: ). Usually I put away every single peace before leaving the cabin, however I´ve had something on the couch or over a chair, but if something was out then it was folded up and plced there.

If there´s something on the bed or couch I would´nt expect the steward to fold it up, just to move it aside to do his job.

But again stuff all over including the floor is unaccaptable from the guest too.

Maybe the OP should have used the past curfew time to tidy up the room:rolleyes:

I would like to know which ship/saling/stateroom. Was this the first or second day? Did this happen only once or every day? Did it stop? Did you tidy up more after that? Did you speak to anyone else about this besides the steward? There's more to this story.

We've sailed a lot, and I have never heard of such a thing happening on any line. We have never had this happen to us; we leave clothes around on chairs, not on the floor, except for the shoes. We have never had friends or tablemates mention such a thing. Maybe you had some poor soul of a steward who was at the end of his rope.

Leslie

I would imagine it was on the JOS a week ago, this is the second thread started by this OP, seems like he didn't enjoy his holiday onboard:mad:

See his/her other post http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=531225

The best thing to do is to straighten your room yourself! The cabins aren't that big, so leaving ANYTHING lying about just reduces your space! I guess it all depends on what living conditions you're used to! All of our dirty clothes go right into the suitcase or "dirty clothes bag". Wearable items get folded or hung right away. No mess, no muss!

Huh. That would burn my butter! I left some clothes out once, and our room steward folded them nicely on the bed.

I think that is exceptional.

I agree that wadding the clothes up in a ball under a chair is a bit OTT - like someone else said, I would imagine that steward was at the end of a tether... Putting clothes that have been left on the floor etc into a bag does almost make sense.

When we go for breakfast (short breakfast, always before 9am) we leave the "do not disturb" sign on the door - so we get back, finish tidying up and grab our things before leaving for a few hours. I always think that the room steward is there to clean the room and not to pick up after us...

Boo

I admit that my children (17 year old daughter and 12 year old son) had a pretty messy cabin. The cabin steward would just lay stray clothes on the sofa so she could make the beds and vacuum. She didn't actually fold them, which was fine, just moved them out of her way. She certainly didn't wad them into a ball!

Mid-week we did make them clean up the room.

On the last day when we gave her our tip, we apologized for our children's room. She just laughed and said "Oh, I have worse!" :eek:

I admit that my children (17 year old daughter and 12 year old son) had a pretty messy cabin. The cabin steward would just lay stray clothes on the sofa so she could make the beds and vacuum. She didn't actually fold them, which was fine, just moved them out of her way. She certainly didn't wad them into a ball!

Mid-week we did make them clean up the room.

On the last day when we gave her our tip, we apologized for our children's room. She just laughed and said "Oh, I have worse!" :eek:

lol! On splendour last month i was walking down the hall and 2 teen boys came out of an inside cabin and i glanced towards their room and OMG!! My first thought was for the poor cabin steward who probably had trouble even GETTING into the room! It was an explosion of clothes everywhere! I hope their parents tipped extra for that poor steward, lol!:eek:

I would have been angry. I figure it's our vacation, if I want to live like a teenager and leave my jeans on the floor I should be able to do that without them being wadded up and shoved under a chair. However, if I was really worried about wrinkles, etc I would have thrown them on the floor. I can see them placing them in a bag thinking they were dirty.

While I completely disagree with how the steward handled it (stuffing everything in a ball under a chair, really?!?) I could never imagine leaving my room anywhere that messy. A couple pieces on the couch, OK, but clothes thrown all over the bed, couch, and FLOOR??

I was the asst manager at a hotel when I was in college. It was our policy for stayovers that we would not move any personal belongings to clean the rooms. If there were clothes on the bed, the bed didn't get made, clothes on the floor, the floor didn't get done, etc. Yes, it is housekeepings job to clean the room, but to a point.

I would imagine it was on the JOS a week ago, this is the second thread started by this OP, seems like he didn't enjoy his holiday onboard:mad:

The cruise overall was OK, it rained the first three days which certainly did not help (and probably meant more time in the cabin). Our cabin steward for our room was excellent and the service at dinner (and in most public places) for all our tables was fantastic. Some of the posts imply that the room which got the clothes rolled must have been extremely messy and that is not the case (and even if there was a problem I would have preffered a note explaining why the room could not get cleaned). Overall I thought the Ports of call was excellent and embarkation was a breeze. Food was OK, Chops though was excellent. I did think the entertainment was sub standard (very dated) and getting of the ship in Fort Lauderdale was a disaster (they kept calling colors even though the line was not moving). Overall a B-

Archived