Halp!!! Need Juneau Whale Watching Help Asap!!

donkeytiara

Celebrity just told us that our stop in Icy Strait Point was cancelled...we had f.i.s.h.e.s. for a whale watching excursion there...... does anyone have a whale watching excursion in Juneau recommendation to make?? It's the only port that we don't have something booked and really want to dedicate an excursion to seeing them. I need to book before they all sell out, so any advice would be fantastic! thanks!!

We just booked "Harv and Marvs" www.harvandmarvs.com out of Juneau for July. We had seen great reviews from past groups. Look at their web site - incredible - and click on whale watching trips, then click on the phrase "amazing humpback whale picture." It is the finest whale shot I have ever seen, at the closest range I have ever seen----SPECTACULAR. We have booked with Capt. Larry in the past and he is very good, just decided to go on a smaller boat with only a few folks. gg

Celebrity just told us that our stop in Icy Strait Point was cancelled...

Is it just for your sailing or have all Celebrity ships cancelled Icy Strait Point? Is something else being substituted? I would NOT be very happy if I had booked that itinerary!

We have the Celebrity Summit for the late may northbound trip. I'm not heard anything about a cancellation. I'm checking today. Thanks for the heads-up! Did Celebrity tell you reason for cancelling the stop?

We are also taking Harv and Marv in Juneau. I spoke to them and sounds like they are very nice folks that know the business.

Hope you have a great trip. V

I am a long time customer of Orca Enterprises. I always have had excellent tours.

Flame away, but it sounds like most of the recommendations aren't based on any whale watches??

Those of us who haven't been there yet are posting who we going with. I don't think any of those are "recommendations."

I looked at the roll call for the OP's ship - which is the May 7 repositioning cruise on the Infinity. The people on that particular cruise are being given onboard credit for the missed port.

Folks on one of the repositioning cruises last year (I think the Summit) had a mess of a cruise, with several missed ports. The people on the following cruise actually fared better, because that cruise was cancelled and they were refunded their money PLUS given a free cruise later in the season.

I am a long time customer of Orca Enterprises. I always have had excellent tours.

Flame away, but it sounds like most of the recommendations aren't based on any whale watches??

Absolutely not flaming...because I do respect your extensive knowledge of Alaska....just stating why I chose Harv and Marv this year. I have whale watched w/Larry and think he is great. I went with the Princess Diamond ship whale watching trip and it was awful. While preparing for this trip, I had noticed some great reviews of Harv and Marv Whale Watching and decided to research more. I do think they have some great credentials. Their website is extensive in giving their background, experience, trips, photos, guarantees, reviews, and most of all the fact that they take ONLY 6 or less at a time on a small boat w/bathroom sold me. One of the things I have learned on CC is when you are looking for wildlife, smaller is better, combined with experience and knowledge of the area and of the creatures. I have researched them on line, talked with their office personally, and feel they can provide a great whale watching adventure. And I have never seen such an awesome picture of a humpback whale, ever, than the one on their website. So....I think I have done my homework based on facts from whalewatchers who have gone on their trips, BUT be assured I will let you all know if it was or was not a superb whale watch trip. :) gg

We chose Captain Chris on the Rum Runner. The boat (which only carries 6 passengers) is a 31 ft cabin cruiser with a heated cabin, self-contained flush toilet, and state of the art electronics, including a forward scanning depth sounder/fish finder, GPS mapping system and Hydrophone for listening to the whales. 6 Passengers cost $600.00 for 4 hours.

We booked the 4 hour photo/whale watch trip which can allow more time to check out the other wildlife and more travel time without being rushed. I will be bringing a digital underwater camera/video and hope to get a few shots that the bigger boats might not be able to accommodate as easily without interfering in the other customers day.

I also like the thought of being able to go back to the dock to drop someone off if they don't feel well. We go offshore a lot in the Galveston area and believe me if they do not feel well they want off the boat.

baleines-02.gif

Either way I bet you just can't loose on this day trip.....

Budget Queen -- this isn't meant to be a flame at all, as I have great respect for your knowledge of Alaska. I do, however, have a question. You stated that you're a long-time customer of Orca Enterprises, so I understand why you recommend them so highly. What I'd like to know, however, is whether you're tried any of the other providers? Have you been on one of the smaller boats -- either CanCan's, Harv & Marv's, or any of the others that have been suggested?

We ended up booking through Harv & Marv's because we weren't able to get hold of anyone at Orca Enterprises. I sent a couple of different emails and left a message and never heard back from them. The first email I sent to Harv & Marv was answered within about 4 hours, so I went with the operator that appeared to want my business.

As far as I know it's only our cruise (May 7th out of San Fran) that they cancelled ISP for....of course, due to the pods not running at full power. they changed several port times for our visit as well. Better than last time we booked....they cancelled the whole cruise!! Keep your fingers crossed for us, as this is our "honeymoon"...and we've now been married for a year and a half!! :)

...... does anyone have a whale watching excursion in Juneau recommendation to make??

We're a party of four headed on our first trip to Alaska in June and here's another opinion for you. I'm sure there are several vendors who will provide a good whale watch tour. The two that I saw favorably mentioned last year on these boards were Orca Enterprises and Harv and Marv. Along with those two, Alaskan Marine Adventures and others have been mentioned this year.

We chose Harv and Marv primarily because they received good reviews here and only carry a max of six passengers on each of their two boats. We did not want to be on a big boat. Eileen, the wife of Marv (I think) has always answered our emails promptly and been available via phone when we had questions.

Alaskan Marine Adventures main man posted a lot here as CanCanCase until he was banned a few months ago. Case added a lot of good insight and information about the Juneau area. His website was offering a $50 cruise passenger credit (to offset the new cruise passenger tax). It’s a good incentive to consider if you can still get it.

I don't think you would go wrong with any of the vendors discussed favorably on this website. In the end, I guess its whatever... floats your boat! (sorry I couldn't resist):p

Enjoy your trip!

i agree that the small boats look interesting, especially if your group/family fills up the boat. after all, you are going to see whales..they are out there, not usually hard to find. right now some on this board are trying to be loyal for loyality sake...that's fine. when everyone comes back from their trips, i'm sure they will give good reports.

but being a bunny hugger from birth..i get concerned about the educational value of the tours. at least one of the small boat operators has a degree in marine life...that's good. several have lived in the area for years, if not born there...that's good, too.

but there is one operator who helps name the whales, who works year round to track and protect them. they work with naturalist around the world. follows the humpbacks all year, going from alaska to hawaii and back. yes, because of this, they are not always right at the computer to answer emails, or phone calls. that's true. people who are interested need to check out their page on their research / non-profit website

http://www.mersea.com/

with 4,000 to 6,000 cruise passenger, a day, in the area..i think there is plenty of business for all of them. but for those that want an education and not just a tour..think about it.

since my whale watching, i have gotten excited about the humpbacks.

that's because of talking with and listening to the 2 capts on my boat, talk in depth about humpbacks and whales. but that's not for everyone, some would not be that interested.

by the way, all the ones i checked out last year...has restrooms on board, most had snacks, prices were fairly close...that shouldn't be a factor for anyone picking a tour. (in juneau)

even the big double decker with 100 people on it, gets good reviews.

but was the capt there when spot was born? (sorry, it was a funny experience to see the capt shake his head like a dad with a wayward kid)

take my word for it...you are all going to see humpbacks...some of you will learn about humpbacks.

personally, i hope all you get hooked. they are exciting creatures to see.

That is a good way to look at things. We are looking at returning to Alaska again this year. Even though we had a great time last year, I would like to learn more about safety. Can anyone help me with this? Is there a way to find out about the safety history of tour operators?

-Doug

I'm going to Alaska in May and chose Capt Larry in Juenau because it's a little larger boat and I'm taking my 69 year old mom. But in Sitka I went with Capt Davey becasue I'm going solo and it's a small boat. So I think there are valid reasons for many choices here. Have fun and happy whalewatching!

I'll give a full review & pics when I'm back.

If the PODs are giving them trouble...Anyone taking a Celebrity cruise be forewarned...they may end up canceling thier cruise...I know...it happened to me last year for a Infinity cruise to Alaska. Yes...I got a free cruise out of the deal...but missing Alaska wasn't exactly a nice thing.

Those of us who haven't been there yet are posting who we going with. I don't think any of those are "recommendations."

I agree! I will post my experience after this cruise, which might be useful for 2008 cruisers. In my view, all those companies should be ok..You have to decide what your preference is: size of boat, price, departing time, etc.

Archived