Attend the drill session

beemerrider

Just saw the news and the tragic sinking of the Sea Diamond. I just want to re-enforce that when you go on a cruise to please attend the drill session. I kow a lot of you have cruised many many times, but the drill session is very important so that if it ever happens, you will know what to do. Pay attention to the drill. I always see people talking and carrying on during the drill and when it comes time to put on their lifejacket, they don't what to do. Although cruising is one of the safest way to travel, emergencies can still arise, so pay attention!! You may need that knowledge whether the ship is listing, catches on fire or sinks.

Remember, when ever an emergency arises, DO NOT PANIC!!! keep your wits about you and think. I know it is easier said than done, but trust me, I have been in emergency situations, but I remained calm and thought about what I was going to do and how to act. Take some deep breaths of you have to before acting, but do not let panic set in if you do, it is game over.

When you think about it, there were 1600 passengers on this ship and 2 are not accounted for. Not to minimze the loss of life but that is a very good ratio to lives lost compared to lives saved. Eveyone should be commended in getting out safely and cudos to the crew to get everybody off the ship.

Let's hope that the two people that are missing are found safe and sound and my prayers go to them and their families for their safe return.

Happy cruising to all of you.

We attended lifeboat drills on each of our three cruises on Century (we were B2B2B) and at the first two, at least a couple of passengers did not bother to come to muster, but stayed on their verandahs. We knew, because the Miami cruise terminal, which we were facing, has glass walls and we could clearly see their reflections in the windows (one guy, who was sitting in a deck chair, looked like he might possibly be mooning us). I mentioned this to a crewman and he just shrugged.

We attended lifeboat drills on each of our three cruises on Century (we were B2B2B) and at the first two, at least a couple of passengers did not bother to come to muster, but stayed on their verandahs. We knew, because the Miami cruise terminal, which we were facing, has glass walls and we could clearly see their reflections in the windows (one guy, who was sitting in a deck chair, looked like he might possibly be mooning us). I mentioned this to a crewman and he just shrugged.

I agree.... No matter how many cruises someone has been on, each has a different muster station.... Even cruising on the same ship, things change... and everyone needs to be aware. Plus it is good to go over it again even if you heard it last year just to reinforce what we all need to know. ;)

I agree that attending the boat drill is important, but each cruise line seems to do the drill differently. In my opinion, Princess has the most sensible system of all the cruise lines. They have you meet in a designated lounge area and do all the instructional stuff there.......no going out to stand under a tender for 15-20 minutes while they issue instructions in a half dozen languages. :rolleyes: Their philosphy seems to be that if an emergency developes, your assigned boat station may be where the problem is, so you meet inside and then get instructions where to assemble if you need to leave the ship in a tender. But go to the drill wherever it takes place. ;)

Thanks for the reminder. I've taken many cruises at this point and always go to Muster and pay attention. Actually, I think it's fun because it gives me a chance to meet some of my fellow passengers before the ship has even left.

I agree that Princess' Muster is well-done. I've been on another cruiseline where I was in the last row, on deck and up against the side of the ship with a group of very tall men in front of me. The "instructor" was using a bullhorn that was mostly directed away from me and when he did talk towards me, the sound bounced off the metal behind me, making it hard to understand. They separated children (even small tykes) from parents and put them in the front row where they proceeded to cry for their parents. If there were an emergency, I wouldn't have a clue where to meet or what to do.

I couldn't agree more with the importance of attending the Muster Drill, even if you are a repeat cruiser. As I've posted (probably too many times) before, we were on the Star Princess last March when it caught on fire in the middle of the night. The alarm sounded about a little after 3:00 a.m. and I genuinely believe that part of the reason we were so well equipped for the emergency was that we'd done the drills on all 4 of our cruises so that it was just sort of automatic to remember warm clothing and a had and our medications, etc.

Once we got to the Muster Station we saw lots of people in nightgowns and shorts and t-shirts, and the staff kept having to send crew members to passenger cabins (some near the fire) to get personal effects and especially medication. We were in the Muster Station for over 7 hours, and it was very uncomfortable for many people who were not properly prepared. And, these people got even more concerned when they lowered the lifeboats (we never had to get in them, but we never knew if we would.)

What was worse, after we were released from the Muster Station we saw LOTS of these people, wandering around the ship in their sleeping clothes and slippers, hugging their life vests ... because they had nothing else left to them and nowhere to go because their cabins and/or belongings (including clothing) had been damaged or destroyed in the fire!

Anyway, just my long-winded agreement with the original poster!

A prepared cruiser is a happy cruiser! Say, that's sort of catchy (in a Boy Scout motto sort of way.) Maybe I should copyright it. :D

Archived