Use of digital camera on Freedom...HELP!

REALLY do not want to take my laptop to download and save to CD & flash drive. Have plenty of card memory (compact flash, Digital Canon Rebel) but want the "security" of having pics saved on a minimum of 2 different forms of media. Do Freedom's computers have card readers? can I download from my compact flash to CD & my flash drive somewhere on the ship?

Suggestions on how to accomplish this whilst taking the minimum of gear is much appreciated!!!

I can't help you, but I would like to know the answer too! On our last Princess cruise, they had a photo kiosk at the photo center and you could upload your pictures to a CD or have them print them. It was very handy not having to drag a laptop or worry about memory card space.

Any recent cruisers know if RC has anything similar?

Unfortunately, I can't say for sure either. I don't remember having access to a CD drive at the computers.

Also, Freedom has a digital kiosk at the photo center for viewing all your photos taken by the ship's photographer. Maybe there's a way to do what you are asking there.

Sorry, wasn't much help. Good luck.

They did have a service in the photo shop to burn your pictures to a CD though I don't remember if it was 14.95 or 19.95. I will look through the compasses to see if I can find it

Any knowledge of how many pictures can go on a CD?

I can get my pictures on a CD for $8.00 Canadian from Walmart. I expected the price to be higher on the ship but double or more - and AMERICAN?:eek:

Guess I'm just gonna drag my laptop with me. What happens if I end up with enough pictures for 5 CD's? Not worth $100 US in my mind.

Too bad though, seems like it would be a GREAT option!!

Any knowledge of how many pictures can go on a CD? Too bad though, seems like it would be a GREAT option!!

You should be able to get about 250-300 photos on a CD at full resolution. I think the CD price was $15.95....but that was a while ago....

Hope that helps you!

I don't know if money is an issue or if you are an avid photo taker and would have a need to spend money on such an item, but I have looked at purchasing external memory that doesn't require access to a computer. It allows you to download and view your photos all from a handheld device about the size of a large ipod. They range from about $80 to $300 depending on what your needs are. Professional photographers use them to back up their photos when using digital formats. If you go to any major computer website I just used the keyword digital storage or digital photo storage and it pops up various options. Have a great time on your upcoming cruise!

I don't know if money is an issue or if you are an avid photo taker and would have a need to spend money on such an item, but I have looked at purchasing external memory that doesn't require access to a computer. It allows you to download and view your photos all from a handheld device about the size of a large ipod. They range from about $80 to $300 depending on what your needs are. Professional photographers use them to back up their photos when using digital formats. If you go to any major computer website I just used the keyword digital storage or digital photo storage and it pops up various options. Have a great time on your upcoming cruise!

Thank you for the tip. I have seen what you are referring to and did consider it for a minute :-) In my normal life travels, I don't mind taking my laptop (I don't normally fly anywhere and this is our 1st cruise) so investing "so much" seems overkill if we are assured of being able to transfer photos from CF to CD while on the ship.

W/o knowing *for sure* how many 6MP jpg files will fit on a CD burned by the photo staff, and estimating $20/CD...a lower priced unit like you've mentioned might well be a "wash" as I tend to take a TON of photos on my normal vacations and don't expect any less while on this fabulous cruise :-)

If it will be a wash, I'd definitely buy the unit as it would be more handy to take vs the laptop...

Ugh!

Well, we still have time so hopefully someone familiar with the FOS can answer my intial question w/ 100% certainty and then I can make a final decision.

I most sincerely appreciate all of the input so far and look forward to more *fingers crossed*

We were on the Freedom in August 2006. The daily compasses don't mention any photo storage options. The looseleaf guide to the ship found in the cabin, which none of us "acquire", lists in great detail all of the services available on the ship.

When are you going on the ship? Perhaps someone going sooner than your trip can specifically research this area while on the ship as there are lots of photobugs on this forum.

Or consider burning to a dvd rather than a cd as the storage available is higher.

You have a 6 MP camera?

We were on the Freedom in August 2006. The daily compasses don't mention any photo storage options. The looseleaf guide to the ship found in the cabin, which none of us "acquire", lists in great detail all of the services available on the ship.

When are you going on the ship? Perhaps someone going sooner than your trip can specifically research this area while on the ship as there are lots of photobugs on this forum.

Or consider burning to a dvd rather than a cd as the storage available is higher.

You have a 6 MP camera?

Yes, its a Christmas 2004 Canon Digital Rebel and I love it :-) Shortly after, the 8MP were released and now I think there is a 10MP. For now, I have all I need with the original :-) The Sr. photos, wildlife, sporting event photos I've taken with it have all had beautiful results up to around a 12x18...which is as large as I'd want any photo. For the 4x6-8x10 I do the most of, it does a beautiful job!!

Anywho, I was able to "catch" someone leaving tomorrow on the FOS and they said they'd try to remember to get my 2 questions answered (# of 6mp photos on a CD/DVD and the cost). If they do so, and remember to "report back", that leaves me a full week before we head out to make any purchases if the answers aren't favorable (IMO).

I can confirm for sure there´s no picture storing option at the computers onboard any RCCL ship. Those are just terminals and you don´t have access to any drives or USB ports. They are locked away.

The photo shop can burn your pics to a CD and the price already mentioned is what I recall too. Somewhere around $15-20 per CD.

A CD holds 700MB so you can do the math yourself how much pics it will hold. Or you can think about how much memory storage you hold for your camera and how many CD´s that would equal at what price.

BTW, there have been reports on the boards that people who used this service arrived at home to encounter the CD they got was damaged, unreadable or even empty. These reports have been quite some time ago, however I just want to give you a heads up about this option as your picture memories would be lost.

I think if you look on a blank CD you might have laying around, it will indicate the capacity is between 670 MB and 700 MB. Now go to "My Pictures" on your computer and look at the typical (MB) size of your photo files. Deduct maybe 10% from the CD capacity for file handling, divide by the typical size of your photo files and you will have a good idea how many pictures a CD will hold.

Even with that number, if you are really concerned about losing your photos on your camera's memory device, a CD won't help you unless you create one every day. What happens if you wait until the fourth day of your cruise to burn a CD and the Compact Flash card craters on day 3?

We now take a laptop on our cruises for several reasons, one of which is daily review and backup of the photos from our Canon 30d. That said, we have never cratered a CF card in 10 years of digital photography. I can't say the same thing about hard drives... :rolleyes:

Enjoy your cruise and your photos!

LL

Being very new to digital photography, i have a question?

I will be taking my new camera on my cruise next week with a 512 mb and a 1gb memory card. (I dont take that many pictures) Isnt it ok to just leave them on the memory card until i get home and then decide if i want prints, cd, etc?:confused:

Being very new to digital photography, i have a question?

I will be taking my new camera on my cruise next week with a 512 mb and a 1gb memory card. (I dont take that many pictures) Isnt it ok to just leave them on the memory card until i get home and then decide if i want prints, cd, etc?:confused:

Sure it is. Some people just want backup in case the memory cards go bad. It happened to a friend of mine on her most recent cruise and she lost quite a few pictures.

That said, it's a semi-rare event, especially if you have good quality memory for your camera.

I think if you look on a blank CD you might have laying around, it will indicate the capacity is between 670 MB and 700 MB. Now go to "My Pictures" on your computer and look at the typical (MB) size of your photo files. Deduct maybe 10% from the CD capacity for file handling, divide by the typical size of your photo files and you will have a good idea how many pictures a CD will hold.

Even with that number, if you are really concerned about losing your photos on your camera's memory device, a CD won't help you unless you create one every day. What happens if you wait until the fourth day of your cruise to burn a CD and the Compact Flash card craters on day 3?

We now take a laptop on our cruises for several reasons, one of which is daily review and backup of the photos from our Canon 30d. That said, we have never cratered a CF card in 10 years of digital photography. I can't say the same thing about hard drives... :rolleyes:

Enjoy your cruise and your photos!

LL

Some very valid points have been shared and I'm back to leaning toward taking my LT. This way, I can keep the photos on the laptop, burn to CD/DVD AND to a flash drive. Really don't want to spend the $300-$400 on the photo storage unit though it would be less expensive than replacing the LT....but then again, I can't as fully review the photos of the day on the smaller unit. As for depending solely on the ship's photo staff, I'd be absolutely furious (and sick!!) if I came home to blank/unreadable CDs!!

I understand why the ships don't allow access to CD burners or USB but it sure would be nice and definitely a feature I'd be willing to pay for!!!!

Thanks to everyone!!

Some very valid points have been shared and I'm back to leaning toward taking my LT. This way, I can keep the photos on the laptop, burn to CD/DVD AND to a flash drive. Really don't want to spend the $300-$400 on the photo storage unit though it would be less expensive than replacing the LT....but then again, I can't as fully review the photos of the day on the smaller unit. As for depending solely on the ship's photo staff, I'd be absolutely furious (and sick!!) if I came home to blank/unreadable CDs!!

I understand why the ships don't allow access to CD burners or USB but it sure would be nice and definitely a feature I'd be willing to pay for!!!!

Thanks to everyone!!

I have to say I have been following this thread as I have been undecided as to whether to 'lug' the laptop or not - I take lots of pictures and have 2 - 2gb cards - but I think now for the sake of my sanity I will also take laptop - I would be heart broken if I lost just even a few pictures

I also thank everyone for their thoughts

bought a Wolverine MVP (60gig) unit as well as 2-2G CF cards and 1-1G CF card (and a backup battery for the camera) added to what I already own = +/- 1800 photos on the jpg setting.

Plan to leave photos on cards and upload them to the MVP.

Won't be lugging the LT and the under $400 (to include shipping) I've spent is considerably less $ than replacing/repairing my LT. Plus, it'll all fit in the safe :-)

Thanks again for the input!

From my last cruise a year ago I know that you can use a FAT32 or NTFS formatted USB flash drive on the RCCL computers. Or use a USB port to charge an iPod Shuffle. Many newer monitors have flash card readers built in, so your ship may have support that way. Otherwise bring your USB cable and you can transfer them to a flash drive yourself.

I just wanted to say thank you to the OP for posting this question. I too, would have liked an option that didn't require me to bring my laptop. I guess the bottom line is that I want to know for sure I'm coming away with pictures and I guess the only person I can rely on for that is ME.

You should be able to get about 250-300 photos on a CD at full resolution. I think the CD price was $15.95....but that was a while ago....

Hope that helps you!

For the price of a couple of those CDs you can get a spare 2GB memory card before you go. Don't let the cruise line take advantage of your need. Show up prepared. Another way to save memory is to go through your photos at the end of the day and delete any that you're not really happy with. Maybe they have bad lighting or similar to another shot... you get the idea.

I have to say I have been following this thread as I have been undecided as to whether to 'lug' the laptop or not - I take lots of pictures and have 2 - 2gb cards - but I think now for the sake of my sanity I will also take laptop - I would be heart broken if I lost just even a few pictures

I also thank everyone for their thoughts

IMO, it's better to buy extra memory than risk losing or damaging an expensive laptop.

Pardon my ignorance but i just dont understand what would cause a memory card to "go bad"?:confused: Is it not their purpose to store photos till you decide what to do with them?:)

Most if not all memory cards can have photos recovered in the event they "go bad." I've never lost usage of a memory card however. I've even run one through a washing machine and it still works like the day I got it.

Archived