Cruising without a passport....any problems?

Has anyone cruised recently to Cozumel & Grand Cayman without a passport? We only have our certified birth certificates & licenses. Just was wondering if anyone had had any problems by not having a passport!

Thanks & blessings!

We're READY to go NOW!!

:cool:

No one will give you any problems for not having a PassPort, it is still legal to travel to the Caribbean without one.

If for some reason you need to fly back to the states on an emergency, The american embassy will help get you back without a PassPort.

For now, but you will need one next year. I'm one of the ones that believes passports are just easier. This topic has been beaten to death. I'm sure there are at least 10 threads that can be found by searching from the last year alone.

Also, if everyone waits til it's "REQUIRED" there will be people cruising without one due to procrastination and the length of time required to get one when there's a rush of orders. Having watched people go through customs upon return, passports make that part much quicker. They dont' have to study two pieces of paper, they can just run your passport through their computer and you're off. The return to the US is really what a passport is for anyway, but I have always felt that they should be required for ALL international travel of any kind. Why make Mexico and Canada exempt and then make cruising exempt? Makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

Yep, beaten to death. But you can get by with just a birth certificate and photo ID. But next year you will definetly need a passport- unless congress extends it again.

For now, but you will need one next year. I'm one of the ones that believes passports are just easier. This topic has been beaten to death. I'm sure there are at least 10 threads that can be found by searching from the last year alone.

Also, if everyone waits til it's "REQUIRED" there will be people cruising without one due to procrastination and the length of time required to get one when there's a rush of orders. Having watched people go through customs upon return, passports make that part much quicker. They dont' have to study two pieces of paper, they can just run your passport through their computer and you're off. The return to the US is really what a passport is for anyway, but I have always felt that they should be required for ALL international travel of any kind. Why make Mexico and Canada exempt and then make cruising exempt? Makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

DH and I will be getting our passports this year, but we've been on 12 cruises, plus taken 2-week land vacations in Mexico over the past few years and have never had a problem with just our birth certificates and driver's licenses. Our last cruise was in December and it was the first time I also brought our marriage license because I was concerned I didn't have anything to prove I went from my maiden name on my birth certificate to my married name. The person checking me in said I didn't need it. They were checking more for first and middle names.

It should be fine for you, just make sure the birth certificates have raised seals on them so they are official. We'll need the passports next year, so it's time we got on the stick and applied for them. Wish we had gotten them when they were still $65!

Have a great cruise!

Carnival - 1995, 1998, 2006, 2006, 2007, 2007

Holland America - 2004, 2006

NCL - 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003

Royal Caribbean - 2002

Archived