2 Hrs away from Brooklyn Terminal

B-52

We live in NJ and we are app. 2 hrs. drive to the Brooklyn Terminal. We are considering a cruise for 2008.

My question is to those who live relatively close to the terminal. How do you travel to/from the cruise? Drive and park? Have someone (relative, friend) drop you off? Use a car service?

I'm asking because we are weighing the options between NY and Bayonne, or flying to Florida which we usually do.

Some friends live in Maryland. They arrange a one way rental car to Newark and drop the car off there. Then they buy an airport shuttle to the ship. Coming home, they arrange another rental car.

You can drive and park at the terminal, I believe it's around $20 a day. The area is secured and patrolled. I think the cost is out weighed by the convenience of walking off the ship getting into your car and leaving!

Coral, I'm curious for their reason for doing this. Is it to avoid wear and tear on their car or save the parking expense? I'm just not seeing the logic. Thanks.

Some friends live in Maryland. They arrange a one way rental car to Newark and drop the car off there. Then they buy an airport shuttle to the ship. Coming home, they arrange another rental car.

I'd absolutely park there - for what it would cost for car service for a two hour drive, you are better off driving and parking. The parking is literally steps away from where you drop your luggage.

I think it's $18 a day for multi day stays.

Here is the website, and you can mapquest your drive from there:

http://www.nycruiseterminal.com/terminalBKN.html

You can drive and park at the terminal, I believe it's around $20 a day. The area is secured and patrolled. I think the cost is out weighed by the convenience of walking off the ship getting into your car and leaving!

I would agree. Just wanted to see if someone out there had an idea I haven't considered.

Coral, I'm curious for their reason for doing this. Is it to avoid wear and tear on their car or save the parking expense? I'm just not seeing the logic. Thanks.

They avoid parking costs. They just have to pay for 2 days of car rental which they have gotten inexpensively. They also don't like to drive their car in the city, nor park it in the city.

I'm working on this from the opposite direction. The grandparents - who are watching the kids! - live in CT about a 90 mintue drive from NYC. Hubby wants to drive in and pay the $180 monthly rate for an 8 day cruise for the convenience of getting off the ship and driving home. I hate driving into and around NYC and even if I wasn't doing the actual driving the directions - and making sure he follows them - would be up to me.

For about 1/3 the rpice, I would rather take the train down - a station is only one town over- and grab a taxi from grand Central Station to the pier.

Still up for grabs what we'll actually do but I mention it in case there is a possiblity of the train from the NJ side.

As long as you can handle your luggage the train is an easy solution. A cab from Grand Central should run about $20-25 to the Brooklyn Cruise terminal(you should have directions with you as most cab drivers have not been there yet)..

The Most direct way is down the FDR to the Brooklyn Bridge, the Brooklyn Bridge Straight ahead(not the first exit to your right) Straight to Atlantic Avenue. A right on Atlantic to the end where you make the left and then the first right(at the end of the construction area where you can't go any further)- follow the signs....the last part of this the road is being reconstructed and is bumpy..

They avoid parking costs. They just have to pay for 2 days of car rental which they have gotten inexpensively. They also don't like to drive their car in the city, nor park it in the city.

where do they drop the car and how to they get to the terminal...most NY car rentals have one way drop off charges so be careful!

We live in NJ and we are app. 2 hrs. drive to the Brooklyn Terminal. We are considering a cruise for 2008.

My question is to those who live relatively close to the terminal. How do you travel to/from the cruise? Drive and park? Have someone (relative, friend) drop you off? Use a car service?

I'm asking because we are weighing the options between NY and Bayonne, or flying to Florida which we usually do.

Hi B-52 :)

I also live in NJ but I am originally from Brooklyn. Hmm Im not sure where in Wall you are (wall twp? rt.34/35 area or am I off?? lol) It shouldnt take you that long at all to get to the pier...(albeit traffic). I would drive/park, it is secure or limo it- cost will be about the same. (pkg cost vs. limo cost) Driving where the terminal is, is not like the hassle of driving in Manhattan.

There is a cruise we are contemplating out of Bklyn too!! I know that I wouldnt be able to handle luggage on a train with a dozen pieces!!

Not sure how I landed on this thread but nice to meet ya' :)

If your coming from Wall, DRIVE! Parkway to Woodbridge, RT 440 across the Outerbridge to Staten Island, follow signs across Verranzano to Brooklyn, continue on I 278 to exit 26 Hamilton Ave., Hamilton becomes Summit, Summit becomes Imlay,

(From getting off exit 26 it's little over 1/2 mile), Imlay at Brown is the Terminal.

Hi B-52 :)

I also live in NJ but I am originally from Brooklyn. Hmm Im not sure where in Wall you are (wall twp? rt.34/35 area or am I off?? lol) It shouldnt take you that long at all to get to the pier...(albeit traffic). I would drive/park, it is secure or limo it- cost will be about the same. (pkg cost vs. limo cost) Driving where the terminal is, is not like the hassle of driving in Manhattan.

There is a cruise we are contemplating out of Bklyn too!! I know that I wouldnt be able to handle luggage on a train with a dozen pieces!!

Not sure how I landed on this thread but nice to meet ya' :)

Yes Wall Twp. between Belmar and Sea Girt.

We will probably drive also. In my younger days I had a friend from Red Hook and we went there frequently. (and lived to tell about)

My Wifes family is from Fort Hamilton area.

Yes Wall Twp. between Belmar and Sea Girt.

We will probably drive also. In my younger days I had a friend from Red Hook and we went there frequently. (and lived to tell about)

My Wifes family is from Fort Hamilton area.

Ahhhhh!!! *smiles* So you're familiar, driving would probably work out best!

If your coming from Wall, DRIVE! Parkway to Woodbridge, RT 440 across the Outerbridge to Staten Island, follow signs across Verranzano to Brooklyn, continue on I 278 to exit 26 Hamilton Ave., Hamilton becomes Summit, Summit becomes Imlay,

(From getting off exit 26 it's little over 1/2 mile), Imlay at Brown is the Terminal.

Imlay at Bowne. as you going over the hump(on I 278) which is over the Gowanus Canal you need to get to the extreme right lane...follow the cruise terminal signs and the Police that will be at Imlay Street---they rarely let you go straight ahead...make the left and then the first right...

Hi All--

Any recommendations for a 'best' route to drive from Connecticut (just east of New Haven) to the pier. We'll be driving down on a Sunday in June. We recently moved from New Mexico--so not too familiar with all the roads; just looking at a map would get us there---but, perhaps not the easiest way.

Thanks

Hi All--

Any recommendations for a 'best' route to drive from Connecticut (just east of New Haven) to the pier. We'll be driving down on a Sunday in June. We recently moved from New Mexico--so not too familiar with all the roads; just looking at a map would get us there---but, perhaps not the easiest way.

Thanks

where in Ct? I have different directions depending on where you live...Mapquest does a pretty good job of directions most of the time.

www.mapquest.com

The Brooklyn terminal is at Imlay and Bowne St Brooklyn 11231

Driving to Red Hook / Brooklyn Cruiseport wasn't so bad; and parking was a cinch!

The lot is new and parking is right outside the door!

Price was a bit high, but I personally like to be able to throw my bags and souvenirs right in the car and be on my way!

Have fun!

I will be driving to the terminal in Brooklyn June 8th for the Crown Princess- was hesitant about parking there because all the webb sites said parking lot was 300 yards away. A limo round trip from Long island would be about $350.00 as apposed to around $200.00 in the lot- Just nervous as there are only 500 spots and they do not take reservations

I will be driving to the terminal in Brooklyn June 8th for the Crown Princess- was hesitant about parking there because all the webb sites said parking lot was 300 yards away. A limo round trip from Long island would be about $350.00 as apposed to around $200.00 in the lot- Just nervous as there are only 500 spots and they do not take reservations

The lot has never been full even when both the Crown Princess and the QM 2 were there for round trips over last years labor day weekend.The web site is wrong about the distance as well. Its well within 100 yards at most. You shouldn't believe everything you read. You drop off your party and luggage and then park the car only the driver has to walk back and its not too far let me see if I can find a picture in my photos...

IMG_1316.jpg.fffe3b4078805942154037c689638ba5.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg.8910956d8ac9de373e974234ea184993.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg.c34779542d21955ec4ad5bfd832c193a.jpg

Thanks for your help. I will drive in and park as per your recomendation. We leave on the Crown princvess and I believe it leaves at 4pm. Would you happen to know the earliest they would let us board?

Noon.

I will again reiterate that the parking at the Brooklyn terminal is the best and closest from car to ship as any cruise pier I've been to.

Archived