Absolutely obsessing over which hotel to book in Rome!

Please help! I've checked tripadvisor and most reviews are mixed for hotels around the $275US to $300US price point. Would really like a hotel near the bottom of the Spanish Steps for next year but a nice hotel nearby will be okay.

Here's some at the top of my list:

Casa Howard, Daphn Inn Veneto/Daphne Inn Trevi, Hotel Veneto, Best B&B Pantheon, La Residenza

Also found some hotels near the Termini, but not sure we want to stay that far from the center of Rome:

Hotel Cellini, Raffaello Hotel, Hotel Modigliani, Hotel Alpi

We stayed near thr Termini Station in the Hotel Morgana. Big rooms,large baths , great breakfast. Walking it was maybe 6-7 blocks to Forum. two blocks to the subway. Booked on OTEL.com for under $100.00/night. we found the area not intimidating at all and we(wife & I) came back late evry night.

I can recommend the Golden Tulip hotel Ambra Palace Hotel 1 block from the Termini Station. We stayed there 3 years ago and it was really nice, clean and very modern inside with lovely decor. It's an old building, the surrounding area near the station is like any big city station area but the hotel is 4 star and very very nice. It's also really cheap! We walked to the Colosseum and Santa Maria Maggiore - very convenient location. For further afield trips the Metro is just round the corner at the Termini station. Take a look at the website!

http://www.goldentulip.com/PropertyInformation.aspx?PropCode=GT;41587&Language=EN

Are you going by the prices listed on tripadvisor? If so, you can probably get something cheaper by booking directly through the hotel or by going to a site like venere.com

We got a superior double room with a balcony overlooking the Pantheon at the highly rated Albergo del Senato for the price range you list. Don't be locked into the Spanish Steps area -- it's probably the priciest and the Pantheon location is actually a bit more central (and very nice).

Ending up at the airport Hilton before flying out makes sense. We didn't want to waste time waiting for the shuttle, so we hiked on over to the Leonardo Express and trained in and out.

Read the Trip Advisor reviews of the hotel for a mixed bag of comments regarding the schuttle.

And no,if memory serves, the train does not go straight out to Citi... from the airport. You have to make at least one set of connections.

I'm also looking for Rome accommodations, and of course have never been so............TripAdvisor highly recommends Sofitel Roma - has anyone stayed there and if so I'd appreciate hearing opinions - the sofitel website has much better pricing than the Tripadvisor site.

YaYa

We chose a hotel that our cruiseline uses, though we booked on our own, and saved money, we can get the transfer to the pier direct from hotel (we booked xfer through Carnival).

I'll have to pend review of how the hotel is, until our trip - but so far, positive reviews.

Luvz2run... the Hotel Mozart sounds like what we're looking for. And, thanks for the link to your photos. I looked at the rates on their website and the classic rooms are $240US, which is reasonable but the superior rooms jump to $380US, which is expensive. Was your's a "classic" room and did it have a king bed or 2 twins pushed together? If so, that would be perfect!

When we booked there was a honeymoon special; if you booked three nights you got a free upgrade from classic to superior as well as a fruit basket and sparkling wine. It was actually our second honeymoon, but they didn't care.

It was definitely one bed, not two pushed together.

Our friends stayed in a classic room and it was very nice. Our room was a little bigger, but really not much. The main difference seemed to be the bathroom. Their's was tile while our's was marble and a little larger.

You might want to consider the Nicolas Inn - very close to the Forum and Colosseum. We were there in 2005 and spent 3 nights. Walked everywhere (except the Vatican - a cab for that). Price has gone up a bit apparently (now 180 euros/night for a double), but really quite reasonable. Owned/operated by a young couple (wife is American, and both are very helpful with suggestions about touring). They arranged a taxi from the hotel to the airport for 40 euros - not bad at all. BTW - still one of the top-rated B&Bs in Rome in TripAdvisor - the absolute best for one actually in "downtown" Rome.

http://www.nicolasinn.com/index.asp

Sam

Please help! I've checked tripadvisor and most reviews are mixed for hotels around the $275US to $300US price point. Would really like a hotel near the bottom of the Spanish Steps for next year but a nice hotel nearby will be okay.

Here's some at the top of my list:

Casa Howard, Daphn Inn Veneto/Daphne Inn Trevi, Hotel Veneto, Best B&B Pantheon, La Residenza

Also found some hotels near the Termini, but not sure we want to stay that far from the center of Rome:

Hotel Cellini, Raffaello Hotel, Hotel Modigliani, Hotel Alpi

You might find Bookings.com helpful as you can sort by city and by areas around known sights and you are provided with info., pictures as well as review/comments of those who stayed there before. For my recent trip in March, I booked a hotel in Rome as well as in Frankfurt through this site and there was no surprise - the hotels were exactly as I expected.

Hi I stayed at the Hotel Veneto last sept and the year before in Oct 2005. The hotel was being renovated last Sept and the new rooms were really nice. It is in a very safe location and within walking distance of most sights. We were 2 single woman and felt very safe. It is about a 10 minute walk to the spanish steps. It is right by the american embassy as well. The breakfast was just pastries, bread, ceral, Fruit and yorgurt but it was good and if you ask you get a free cappicino. We would stay there again. If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I did leave reviews on trip advisor. Hope this helps. Jen

Archived