Taxi question -Specifically BARCA & ATHENS

Does anyone know if 4 people can share a cab? Probably 1 large piece of luggage + one small carry-on per person. I would imagine a station-wagon type of taxi would work. I just don't have that much experience with taxis.....We will be arriving Barcelona airport and getting off the ship in Athens.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

In Bacelona some of the taxis that met our ship were people-carriers that would be ideal for you. I presume it would be the same at the airport. There is usually a controller asking how many people and where are you going so I am sure he would organise one for you. They are metered and I have never had a problem with overcharging there. I think it is about 20-30 euros from the port to airport.

Our only experience of taxis in Athens was so awful that we refuse to use them now and walk to the metro instead. Having said that last time we were there in June 06 they had a board up with prices (WAY lower than our driver tried to charge us several years before) so perhaps they are dealing with the problem. I don't remember seeing any large taxis there though but there were some limos - I don't know how the prices compare.

I was in Athens with friends for a few days in January. The four of us used taxis several times a day and found them to be very cheap compared to London, though we were told before our trip to make sure that the meter was switched on (which in every case it already was). However, most of the taxis in town were Skoda Octavia or similar sized, and were very cramped with three on the back seat, though bearable for a short trip. However, luggage would be a problem.

I don't know whether there are taxis using estate cars which do the airport and Piraeus runs. However, we used the metro from the airport into Athens, and the express airport bus on the journey back.

Have you tried googling for taxi services or airport/seaport transfers for both Athens and Barcelona? I've done that on a number of occasions for group trips to Majorca, and have been offered vehicles of all sizes and types suitable for the size of the group and quantity of luggage.

Paul S

Barcelona will be no problem. Even the regular taxis can cram in 4 as long as your luggage will fit in the trunk (boot for my British friends) and, as Paul and Kathy said, the taxi stand at the Barcelona airport will make sure you get a taxi large enough for your needs. As to Athens, well all I can say is its Greece. If you are going directly from the post (Pireaus) to the airport you will find taxis at the port,,,but make sure you agree on a price before getting in the cab. There will be an assortment of taxi sizes at the port, and you would certainly want to try and grab a larger car. But, unlike Barcelona where the taxis use the meters and are honest, in Athens they might try to overcharge...so be cafeful.

Hank

Archived