Alcohol - Embarkation ?

Jimjam

It has been about ten years since cruising with HA and wondering how are they about enforcing the alcohol policy at embarkation. I know this subject has been beat to death on other boards and we will be going on Noordam very soon. On my three cruises last year, Princess, RCL and Celebrity, I had no problem having a bottle of my favorite scotch in my carry on.. I know there is no problem with beer, wine etc.. Any experiences will be appreciated.

HAL now does not allow alcohol to be brought on board. If you put it in your carryon they will find it and take it from you. (they now x-ray all bags). You are allowed to bring on wine and soft drinks. That is all. Penny

on our HAL cruise our friends did bring on a pint bottle of gin in the luggage; never convescated, but a better option is a bar set up. HAL has very reasonable prices; we paid $29 for a liter bottle of Absolute and $27 for a liter of Johnny Walker Red. Compared to other lines this is a bargain and so much better than the smuggling thing. You may have gotten on board last year with the booze, but those days may soon be over. NMnita

This article just ran in Sunday's Washington Post. It's a summary of the BYOB policies on the major mass-market lines. I was really surprised at the restrictiveness of some of them, and that Celebrity was completely left off the list. Hope it helps. :)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/06/AR2007040600622.html

This article just ran in Sunday's Washington Post. It's a summary of the BYOB policies on the major mass-market lines. I was really surprised at the restrictiveness of some of them, and that Celebrity was completely left off the list. Hope it helps. :)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/06/AR2007040600622.html

Celebrity was on the list. It even had the corkage fee and said 2 bottles per cabin which most of us knew. It is amazing how all the lines are cracking down. NMnita

Celebrity was on the list.

My bad, Nita. I actually only read the print article, very late last night & thought it had been omitted (just re-checked, it's there :) ).

I just don't buy the argument the president from MSC offers - that the line can "control" the amount of liquor pax consumes if purchased in the bars. Ha! Does that mean, then, that the line is assuming responsibility when something goes terribly wrong? Double Ha! Then why offer a mini-bar in the cabins? Then why offer bottles for sale to be consumed in the rooms? That's where the underage kids get the booze from - mom & dad's supply back in the cabin, jmho. :rolleyes: I'll put the soapbox away now. :)

Archived