Diamond Review: March 31-April 7

Editor

Hi All:

I'll do my best recap the cruise.

Embarkation: This was handled very well. Our shuttle dropped us off right in front where porters quickly took our bags. (Be sure to have the Princess tags already on your bags before you arrive.) We arrived about 12:30 / 1:00. The check in line wasn't too long. We had to wait about 1 hour to actually embark.

The ship: The Diamond is a beauty! She's in great condition. I was very impressed by the condition of the furniture and carpeting throughout the ship. No wear and tear!! I found it very easy to navigate around the ship. The diagrams and deck descriptions by the elevators were very helpful. Take note that there are stairs behind the elavator banks. We used them a lot. Its a little tricky locating the international dining room, but once your figure it out, it's a breeze.

Stateroom: we were on the Dolphin deck in a minisuite. We loved it! It was perfect for a family of four. Our bed was configured into a queen. My 15 year old slept on the pullout couch (a bit smaller than a double) and my 11 year old slept in the pull down bunk (from the ceiling). The bathroom was larger than I ever expected with a full tub/shower, huge mirror, and large vanity top. The blowdryer was over the desk in the room, which was helpful, so when one was showering, the other can blow dry their hair in the other room. There were two TVs where one was directed toward the sitting area and the other the queen bed. We loved our balcony and used it quite often (to eat breakfast [room service]; read; soak up the sun). We were in full view of those above us, but it was not a problem (unless you're shy :) ).

Pool/decks: The main outdoor pool was pretty loud and congested. After spending the first sea day there, we decided to find another spot. We loved the rear of the ship! There are two hot tubs, one round pool, and one adult pool. At lunch, we would walk to mid-ship, grab a burger or whatever, and carry it back. Deck chairs are grabbed pretty early, so be sure to get out there in the a.m. If you see some chairs reserved, but no one ever comes, just take it for yourself. We did this with two chairs one day. After a few hours, a few "tweens" came strolling by to get their flip-flops and never even wondered how their chairs were taken.

Food: Unfortunately, the food was disappointing. Breakfast: the buffet was not very good. I should say that the selection was good, but not the food. The scrambled eggs seem to have been made from dehydrated eggs (like those you used to get on airplanes). The omlets were always missing the ham and cheese they proclaimed to include. One morning my husband chose the pancakes. No lie, but a few were as hard as hockey pucks! The fruit was nice. There were yogurts, cereals, breakfast pastries, etc. Lunch: once again, we did not care for the buffet lunch on most days. The salads were good (what I ate most often), the cold salads were hit and miss, as were the hot items. One afternoon they had a variety of cold sandwiches outside the buffet. They were VERY good and in my opinion, should be offered everyday. The grill was pretty good. The burgers were good, as were the hotdogs, knockwurts, bratwurst. They also will grill chicken cutlets. The pizza was not good (when you're brought up on New York pizza, nothing compares). Dinner: we ate at the late seating in the international dining room. The first three nights of the cruise we were very disappointed in the food. The selections were not very good, nor was the taste. However, as the cruise progressed, the menu improved as did the food. Desserts were always good!!

Entertainment: the entertainment was amusing. We went to the hypnotist show (hilarious!!!), the comics (Kevin Jordan is a must see!!), Alexander the magician was fun. The cooking demonstration was amusing as well.

Service: service on this ship is excellant! Not one complaint on this end. One afternoon my husband wanted Jello. We asked for whipped cream, but there wasn't any at hand. We said "no probelm" and sat down. Within a few minutes, the chef found us and presented my husband with a bowl full of fresh whipped cream!!!

Ports: PV was not that great. Our beach break excursion was cancelled prior to boarding and all other excursions that we wanted were booked. Princess recommended visiting the Crystal Resort that is within a five minute walk from the ship. DO NO GO THERE!! The resort is old and run down and the $20 fee per person is a rip off. The beach is public, so you can just walk on. If you want a drink, just go to the bar and pay. Mazatlan was nice. We enjoyed the Deer Island excursion. At Cabo, we went out on our own and did a glass bottom boat ride around the rocks. Saw lots ot sea lions!! There was a whale in the harbor early that morning, too! The ship really should stay in Cabo until 5:00 and not 2:00.

Disembarkation: this went very smooth. Unfortunately, you cannot stay in your stateroom very long. We hung out in the Explorers lounge, watched CNN, and played cards until our group was called. Went through customs quickly, found our bags quickly, and off we went.

Overall, our first time cruising was great! I would definitely consider Princess for another cruise, though I'd be interested in trying another line for comparison sake.

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

We were on the week before you. I have to agree with your comments. The Diamond is a great ship and I would sail on her again. I also think the food was okay but not the high point. And Kevin Jordan was very funny.

Interesting that your PV beach break shore excursion was cancelled. We had booked the same excursion and also found when we boarded that it was cancelled. We were going to go to that Krystal Resort but our 10 year old was running a fever that day so we stayed on the ship. Glad to hear we didn't miss much.

--Junglejane

Hi Junglejane:

Luckily for you, you did not go to the Crystal. As we left the resort, we were actually telling people not to pay the $20 per person. I had $40 in vouchers and gave them away because we just wanted to get the heck out of there and back to the ship!

We're booked on the same Cruise leaving the 28th. Obviously, we're getting very, very excited!!

Loved hearing about the Deer Island excursion - we're booked for that too! From what I've read, I think most Cruisers are dissapointed about such a short stay at Cabo - primarily that's why we chose to not book any excursions. Perhaps we'll do lunch instead..

Interesting about the food. I really hope you're wrong, lol, and that the food just wasn't to your liking. I've always been pleased with what's been offered on a Princess ship. I admit to not being a fan of the buffet, but that's personal choice, not from lack of good fare. I'm most looking forward to the dining room - that's my favorite part! We'll be in the International second sitting as well - any waiters in particular to look out for? How about favorite place to have a cocktail?

Thanks again!

Hi Jill:

I think the food was just not to our liking. Also, being from New York, we're used to eating great food and may be just a bit spoiled. :) It wasn't horrible at all, maybe a bit like hotel food.

Our servers at dinner were Ernie and Susan. They were wondeful and Susan always had a song for us!

The Wheelhouse Bar was very nice! My favorite for drinks.

Have a great trip!!

Great review thank you :)

We were on the Diamond in Nov and really liked the ship and service. The food we found mostly good, a bit hit and miss, especially the buffet.

We liked the Savory the best :)

We went to the Krystal in PV and YUCK!!!!!! WHat a waste of $50.00 (Dh, our 15 year old son and I)

No towels provided, bad service and the bartender made quite sure to let DH know he needed to be tipped on top of that as well, we spent $40.00 and thought we'd leave the $10.00 for a tip but no, we weren't allowed to do that?...Weird. It was truly a bad afternoon the beach was nasty (we have gpne to Nuevo and Playa and the beach in front of the Krystal was not nice.

The hotel was doing alot of construction and the grounds were totally torn up and had lots of workers leering......I couldn't imagine actually staying there for a week......three hours was two and half hours too long...;)

We're booked on the same Cruise leaving the 28th. Obviously, we're getting very, very excited!!

Loved hearing about the Deer Island excursion - we're booked for that too! From what I've read, I think most Cruisers are dissapointed about such a short stay at Cabo - primarily that's why we chose to not book any excursions. Perhaps we'll do lunch instead..

Interesting about the food. I really hope you're wrong, lol, and that the food just wasn't to your liking. I've always been pleased with what's been offered on a Princess ship. I admit to not being a fan of the buffet, but that's personal choice, not from lack of good fare. I'm most looking forward to the dining room - that's my favorite part! We'll be in the International second sitting as well - any waiters in particular to look out for? How about favorite place to have a cocktail?

Thanks again!

We were on the 17th to the 24th and the food was awesome as always. :D

We only go to the buffet for a snack. Use the dining room all the time for all meals.

Don't worry it will be great. ;)

Editor - Did we meet you at the Oasis Bar on embarkation day? I know you took part in the CC Roll Call. I agree with you about the food. We only did the buffet for breakfast once, and although I loved the fresh fruit, the rest was a little disappointing. We either skipped breakfast, or had the even more disappointing room service breakfast! We only did the buffet once for lunch, and also found it a little disappointing. The burgers were great and we had one for lunch on more than one ocassion. We did not try the other grill items. You don't have to be from New York to think the pizza on the Diamond was terrible! We are from Calgary, and I know I can get better pizza from a cardboard box in the frozen section of my local Safeway!

We will be posting a review in the Member Review section of CC, and although it will not be a scathing review, it will not as positive as yours! Don't worry, we always keep one thing in mind - a vacation is what you make of it, and it is always better than being at work! Also, Calgary had below freezing temperatures and snow while we were gone - nothing like that on the cruise!!!

Archived