Disappointed to the Verge of Tears

I put an email in to my TA on Good Friday, not knowing if they would even be there.

My hubby had finally given me permission to get 2 cabins instead of one. We were so excited becuase we have 2 teenagers and wanted to spend some alone time. With a bonus he just got we could now afford it.

I had hoped to hear from my Agent by Saturday and did not. I should have known better and called. Also, I wish they would have sent an out of office reply to my email IF they were taking the whole weekend off, is that too much to expect?

ANYWAY--

Well, my TA did not call until yesterday with a quote and so we said great go ahead and switch us! TA said they could do this on Tuesday.

Today, just now, I get a call saying it is 2 days past the 70 days and we would lose our deposit, so we cant have 2 rooms after-all.

I am so distraught and near tears over this. IF my TA had gotten my email Friday/Saturday/Sunday we would have been fine.

I know it isnt the end of the world and I still will be cruising, but it is a HUGE let down:( and I thought maybe you guys could cheer me up???:o

TIA-for any thoughts.

If I understand you correctly, you will still be keeping your one cabin and just adding another one? You should not be losing your deposit. Your one cabin will still be double occupancy, so there should not be any penalty at all. The cruiseline is making more money with you in two cabins..wouldn't make sense to penalize people to do that. I would check again, or call the cruiseline and ask. This just doesn't sound right unless I am missing something? I've done that for clients many times.

Why not skip your TA and call RCI directly and tell them you want a second cabin and that you'd like to apply the 3rd/4th passenger charges to the new stateroom? I can't imagine that they will refuse another booking? Even if they apply the additional passenger fee from your room they are still going to make more. No business run by intelligent life forms turns down an opportunity to make more money :-)

I agree.........and I've read this 3 times........adding a cabin after the 70 day period should be NO problem if cabins are still available.........unless I'm missing something here.:confused:

I don't think your TA knows what she's talking about! You can book a second cabin as long as cabins are available!! I would either go to RCI's web site and book myself a second cabin or I would call RCI to book a second cabin. That has nothing to do with your deposit for the original cabin.

...I get a call saying it is 2 days past the 70 days and we would lose our deposit, so we cant have 2 rooms after-all.
:confused:

Your TA is telling you because it is past final payment you can't book an additional cabin or you will lose your deposit???

Are you trying to downgrade your existing cabin type to two lesser cabins? Even then, I don't understand why you couldn't do this after final payment without penalty.

I

Today, just now, I get a call saying it is 2 days past the 70 days and we would lose our deposit, so we cant have 2 rooms after-all.

I am confused, why can't you just book the additional room, what does that have to do with the deposit you already paid because it is past the 70 days. Couldn't they just switch the deposit for your kids to the new room? Have you already paid the final payment? Unfortunately it doesn't sound like your TA went to bat for you. I know this is no help but this is one of the reasons why I book myself so I can call 24/7 and have control over my reservation.

Is your TA a local place? If yes, go to their office and have them make a call with you there and see what can be done. Have them put it on speaker phone so that you can hear.. Also if your TA emailed you yesterday why did they wait until today to pursue this?

Please write us back and tell us what happened....nobody (including me) understands why booking another cabin would cause you to lose your deposit.

The 3rd and 4th in the room will be upgrading!!!! That should put a smile on RCL.

If you are C&A call them rather than central booking.

Good Luck.

I have always found RCL to be easy to deal with.

Call RC direct and explain your situation........I guarantee you they will sell you another cabin........or 39 August had a good idea........just go on line and book another cabin. You'll have a different booking number and one will be direct but so what.........

If it is like you say this is easy to rectify........unless we are missing something.

The problem is we are in a cabin for four and my TA said we cant have only 2 in there, so that creates the problem.

Your TA is wrong........a lot of cabins are for 4 and only have 2 people in them........

Sounds like it is time for a new TA...........

That makes no sense to me. I think your TA tried to cancel your original booking and create a new one with 2 cabins, which would trigger the penalty. You should be able to keep the original booking number with just two of you and move the kids to their own cabin (or book it with one adult and one kid in each cabin, as I think you have to do with minors, then switch around onboard). Surely RCI would allow that without a loss of the deposit.

For real, fire the TA, get on the phone with the line, and book two cabins.

This is sheer stupidity, or laziness. Better yet, get on the phone, with the cruise line, book the second cabin yourself, then tell the TA you did it, and wont be needing their services in the future. If they can get another cabin sold at full price, I am sure they will apply the 3rd and 4th person discounted fare to the purchase of that new cabin.

However...........now that I think about this.........IF......you have a 3rd and 4th person booked in your existing cabin........and you are past the 70 day mark.......then you are changing an existing reservation AFTER the 70 day period.........but still.....by getting a seperate cabin, RC is making more money than they would off the 3rd and 4th person option......

but this may be the hold up........changing an existing reservation for 4 back to 2 after final payment date and then adding a cabin......

The problem is we are in a cabin for four and my TA said we cant have only 2 in there, so that creates the problem.

You are upgrading your booking really, going to spend more. I would push hard to get this done. The TA should not have put it off, she should have called on Monday and I agree, if they were not there on Friday, there should have been an out of office reply on the email.

Also, you can so have 2 in a cabin for 4, but are subject to that cabin being moved. I would tell her you are willing to change to two other cabins if needed.

Sounds like this TA is not experienced. I was a TA for 13 yrs before moving into my new job so know you can get it done if you push enough. The TA just has to be willing to actually work, which sounds like you have that doesnt.

Again as a TA, this should make no difference. I am not one to remark about other TA's, but unfortunatly in this case, I think you need to call the cruiseline, ask for a supervisor right up front and explain your situation. I wouldn't waste time with your TA..the price may go up or the cabins being sold and you won't be able to do it. Good Luck, and please let us know.

OK its TA's like this one that give the rest of us a bad name.

First of all you will not get penalized. There is never a penalty when cancelling a 3rd and 4th anyway. You don't need to transfer money around (unless you have made final) even if you have your booking will be overpaid and credited back to your credit card. Call the TA's supervisor and they should take care of it for you. You cannot cancel the whole thing, like some have told you to do, to book with the cruise line or you will be in penalty.

Any other questions let me know and please let me know that this was taken care of.

Come to think of it I asked my TA twice to try and book the connecting cabin to ours and the TA said RCCL would NOT under any circumstance let me keep a four person cabin with only two poeple in it and have the two person connecting room as well.

Was this right?

I think it is too late to fire my TA for this cruise, however,

I may cancel my March 2006 cruise and rebook with another agent, or better yet with RCCL.

I am still waiting to see if my TA's DSM can do anything.

They do not need to talk to the DSM! They are just not experienced enough to know what to do. Call the TA now and insist they conference you in with RCCL and get this taken care of, that you want to hear it from RCCL that this cannot be done. I have put 2 in a cabin for 4 many times, so yes they will allow it!

You are upgrading your booking really, going to spend more. I would push hard to get this done. The TA should not have put it off, she should have called on Monday and I agree, if they were not there on Friday, there should have been an out of office reply on the email.

Also, you can so have 2 in a cabin for 4, but are subject to that cabin being moved. I would tell her you are willing to change to two other cabins if needed.

Sounds like this TA is not experienced. I was a TA for 13 yrs before moving into my new job so know you can get it done if you push enough. The TA just has to be willing to actually work, which sounds like you have that doesnt.

Just book another cabin on your own, then call your ta and get them to remove the 3rd and 4th person from the existing reservation, this should not trigger a penalty as the cabin is still being paid for.

When this is all sorted out, tell your TA, thanks but no thanks for future bookings.

Just book another cabin on your own, then call your ta and get them to remove the 3rd and 4th person from the existing reservation, this should not trigger a penalty as the cabin is still being paid for.

When this is all sorted out, tell your TA, thanks but no thanks for future bookings.

This is not entirely true I don't think. If you cancel person #3 and 4 from the 1st reservation, they would lose that deposit. I think this can only be done with help from RCI or their TA.

My TA just called and said even IF i move the two kids to another room it is AFTER the 70 day mark and therefore I lose the money I paid for them. I would have to make a totally new reservation and still pay the full amount for them in my room and the new room. RCCL will NOT transfer any money at all.

does this make sense?

I am told I cannot call RCCL as I used a TA and RCCL will not discuss the matter with me. MY TA is out of state by the way.

I didnt tell my TA that I am dissapointed she didnt work this weekend NOR check emails at all. Then we wouldnt be in this mess in the first place....Should I?

Archived