Appropriate tip for Maitre d'

Jac199

Hi, sorry if this has been posted on the board somewhere already. I tried a search, but could not find a quick answer. I am onboard the Sun right now (burning internet minutes:) .) The Maitre d' {sp} helped my group out in a big way. We were spread over three tables for some reason. He was able to juggle things and get us all at the same table. I was wondering what would be appropriate as a tip for this type of thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks in advance

~Janine

We aren't shy about tipping extra for "above and beyond" services, but isn't what the maitre'd accomplished a part of his/her normal duties?

He could have easily said "sorry, no empty tables available"...

He could have easily said "sorry, no empty tables available"...

Then he should be replaced! The maitre'd's reason for existence is to solve problems such as was cited by the OP, not to walk around and look important. Tipping someone for doing their job just doesn't make sense IMHO.

Mike

Hi, sorry if this has been posted on the board somewhere already. I tried a search, but could not find a quick answer. I am onboard the Sun right now (burning internet minutes:) .) The Maitre d' {sp} helped my group out in a big way. We were spread over three tables for some reason. He was able to juggle things and get us all at the same table. I was wondering what would be appropriate as a tip for this type of thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks in advance

~Janine

Let's see, for changing a couple of seats around, I would think at least $1000, you are on a cruise don't worry about money. :cool:

Make it worth his while, you know?

Cheers.

Peter

Last year on our Crown cruise we bought our 1 year old granddaughter. Every evening he would make a special trip to our table to see if all was alright with the baby. He also bought the baby food that my daughter selected the previous night. Quite often he would play a little with the baby to make her comfortable in the dining room. I understand that he would get part of the pooled money but we did slip him an extra $25 for service with the baby.

There were some Maitre'ds that we did not see at all ecept may once or twice on previous cruises and we did not tip extra at those times. I guess what I am saying is when they go above their duties like this one did then an extra tip would be warrented.

Thanks in advance

~Janine

In your case, I would give him maybe $20. Other than that on our past cruises, I couldn't even tell you who the M d is:rolleyes:

We spoke to one of the waiters who took great care of us and asked him if he wanted to move up. He did say that the Maitre D made apprx. 1000 a month more in salary, but he, the waiter, made more in tips, especially from those who do not take the auto tip off. We never do and give the waiter/assistant each a nice tip at the end of the cruise.:)

Then he should be replaced! The maitre'd's reason for existence is to solve problems such as was cited by the OP, not to walk around and look important. Tipping someone for doing their job just doesn't make sense IMHO.

Absolutely. It's like tipping your doctor for actually prescribing something. The whole tip thing is weird, anyway, if it comes down to rewarding someone for not doing a lousy job...

Above and well beyond the call, why not. In this case it sounds like it's importance to you may bump it into that category, it is tough to keep a large group together in cruise ship ding rooms... I'd toss a $ 20.00, but never feel obliged to do. It's always your choice IMHO. The tips are officially included after all.

Question: are you in Traditional dining or Anytime? If you are in Traditional, I would consider this part of his duties since your bookings would be linked together and they should have put you together at a large table to start with. (If they weren't, shame on your TA.) If it's Anytime and he has to find a large table for you every night, then that would be extra work and I would tip him extra.

I tip the Maitre D 99% of the time as I'm very old school,

usually 20, BUT if he does anything out of the ordinary...

special dishes I requested or as surprise, extra attention than normal...it goes up to 30 dollars.

Last cruise with Beppe on the Dawn he actually yelled at the 2 seperate couples in front of me in line and then proceeded to yell at me, all of us were elite and had very simple requests

I smiled at him sweetly and said I just don't understand when it wasn't a problem for Generoso, Bruno, Francios, and Luigi.

He then grumbled, oh alright you've obviously been around.

Yes, Beppe I said sweetly...30 years next month and I'm only 40!

He began his career 34 years ago, his attitude was beyond bad.

He was negative, irritable and rude.

He got nothing.

Archived