Dinner options in San Francisco

CasaSmith

Hello everyone,

My DH and I will be having 3 nights pre-cruise stay in San Francisco and found a restaurant on the web that seemed interesting. Of course, now that I am asking the question, can not find the full name but it is something about a Castle near I believe Coit Tower. Has anyone ever been there and is it good?

Also been recommended Alfreds and Harris, my DH loves steaks.

Last question, suppose meet some friends for breakfast on Saturday before we board, any suggestions? Staying on Market near Union Square.

Thanks so much,

Julius Castle - nice view - food is good but with all the great restaurants in San Francisco and only 3 days my choice is to go for the food.

Harris Ranch is a very good steak house - old style - great meat and martinis.

Prime Rib House - another red meat place.

We have been away from the city for 3 years and so are behind times on the latest and greatest new places. But for some other choices that have been around :

Slanted Door - in the Ferry Building - make reservations ASAP - we did ours 3 months out for a party of 6 on our repo cruise last year. Food is Vietnamese -you share plates.

One of the prettiest restaurants I have every seen and the seafood is very good is Farallon.

Haven't heard of Alfreds.

House of Prime Rib is very good, but make sure everyone in your party wants Prime Rib, because that is pretty much all they have. They may have had one fish dish, and maybe a steak. But Prime Rib is there thing.

Harris- (No connected to Harris Ranch), Very pricy steak house, but good.

I still like Scoma's on the Warf also, for seafood.

Also make a trip up to the rotating restaurant and lounge at the Hyatt Regency, Embarcadero. I forget the name at the moment. But great views.

You could do Mel's diner for breakfast, on Mission near the Metreon.

Scala's Bistro, adjacent to the Sir Francis Drake hotel right off the square, is nice. Sort of a blend of Italian and French, nice wine list to boot.

If you want something that is more steak, the Acme Chophouse is really good as well. If you are staying by union square, you will either need to take public transit or have a car as this is by Pacific Bell Park (Baseball stadium, sorry just in case you weren't familiar with it).

Enjoy,

MJ

We love Sabella LaTorre on the wharf. Downtown our favorite is the Tadich Grill. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that Julius' Castle is currently closed. For a quick bite, if you happen to go to the Museum of Modern Art, they have a fabulous on site cafe!!

Julius Castle has a great reputation, will also be pricey & heckuva cab ride from Market St. Bring a camera as great pics from there.

For prime rib I've eaten at House of Prime Rib & it was verry good. also consider Ruth Chris steak house.

For breakfast the Garden Court at the Sheraton Palace hotel would be memorable or we had a great Sunday brunch at the Hotel Nikko near Union Sq. not long ago.

Have a great cruise.

For those who would like some low budget food:

Fisherman's Wharf -- In N' Out (the only burger that I eat!) Compare it with the burgers on the ship!

Bloomingdales, Market & 5th St., (for the OP staying at Market/Union Square):

This is a brand new Mall -- in the basement -- high end Food Court with wine and beer. Then you can compare it with Horizon Court once you board!

There are also three upscale restaurants there -- Lark's Inn (steak), Malaysian, and a Mexican -- all on 4th floor.

/Sultan

The Stinking Rose is also very good. If you go there leave some extra time to walk around the North Beach neighborhood it is in. Great coffeehouses for after dinner with some Irish coffe or cappa.

• 3 weeks later...

That revolving restaurant on top of the Hyatt is called Equinox. You can make reserves thru OPEN DOOR which is an on line service.

BTW, I HATE Scoma's!! Boudin's has a relatively new restaurant at Fishermans Wharf that seems to attract a young (30's) crowd. I also like Sabella's which is also right there.

I won't go back to Faralon either , tho I must admit the interior is stunning. We were a group of three women and NONE of the all male wait staff would wait on us after we placed our initial order. I was so PO'd , I don't even remember what the food was like.

MG

Archived