Taking food off the ship ...

canadiangirl77

I read somewhere on this forum that someone ordered room service the night before and packed it up for lunch the next day. Very clever!

Our bags weren't checked going off the ship (at least, on the Pride of Aloha), so I don't see how this could be an issue. Now, going back on -- you can't bring open packages of food -- our leftover sandwiches were confiscated.

I believe it is a really big no-no..you could bring some prepackages things with you that they could take back off..granola bars, cheese crackers but nothing unwrapped can go off the ship ....folks have done it but if you get caught the fines are really bad...it is a health department rule, not the cruise line.

I got "yelled" at for walking off with an apple that I had started to eat. The guard made me toss it right on the spot. I then had my backpack checked as did the folks with me..luckly no one else had anything.

It all depends on the port. The Freestyle Daily will include any prohibitions, if any. Many ports prohibit un-prepackaged goods because of the potential harm to the local environment and ecology. If there's a ban, there's usually a fine involved if you break it.

in juneau, they had everyone open their purses/bags/backpacks as we left the NCL star. a big sign right by where you exit saying we weren't allow to take food off the ship. it's been discussed a few times on the alaska boards. the locals get upset with it, they don't want anything destroying their forests. fruits and veggies are the worse. you can ask on the alaska board, budget queen and yukon know.

a nice BLT or cheez sandwhich. so the "stay" better. no chicken,turkey,tuna. pack'em in the zip top bags, or at the dollar store i JUST bought 2 plastic containers made to bread size. maybe sure i can go along with the fruit thing sure, but if you eat the whole sandwhich whats left? question though, if its that early and they are out all day, there won't be snacks of the fishing boat? there are always snacks.

but i say fine. just dont be a litter bug. it's not your home so be nice.

I read somewhere on this forum that someone ordered room service the night before and packed it up for lunch the next day. Very clever!

Our bags weren't checked going off the ship (at least, on the Pride of Aloha), so I don't see how this could be an issue. Now, going back on -- you can't bring open packages of food -- our leftover sandwiches were confiscated.

The three (soon to be two) "Pride of" ships are the exception. Because they cruise exclusively in Hawaiian waters and are provisioned and resupplied only in Hawaii (with local goods or goods that have been inspected/approved), the state dept ag allows fresh food to be taken off the ship. NO other ships are allowed to do this.

(PDAZ: The rest of this is a general response and is in no way directed at you.)

(On soapbox.)

In almost every port taking fresh food off the ship is illegal and a huge issue. There are ag laws in place to protect the local ecosystem and both domestic and commercial agriculture. I am appalled at the number of people who advocate breaking these laws for convenience or because they can get away with it or because they think that the laws are silly or for any other rationalization. Saying that you can "go along" with part of the law is not enough. We are visitors and are expected to follow the regulations. It doesn't matter what we "think" about the laws; it doesn't matter if we agree with them; it doesn't matter whether we like it. We are well advised to believe that the local depts of ag actually know a thing or two about agriculture--probably quite a bit more than most of us. The only thing that matters is that the laws are in place for the protection and safety of the places we visit.

It is wrong to smuggle fresh food when we are told not to. Period. I am a nut on the issue because I live in CA and have lived through and am living through major ecological and economical agricultural problems caused by careless, thoughtless, or selfish people smuggling in items which are forbidden. The fruit fly infestation cost millions of dollars in eradication and lost production. When you have had to live your life for months at a time around scheduled malathion drops (fruit fly infestation), you don't take these things lightly. Right now, our dept of ag is spending countless hours and quite a bit of money in an attempt to prevent the glassy-winged sharpshooter from invading our counties and destroying the vineyards. These pests carry a disease (Pierce's) which ruins grape vines. It's already crept it's way around part of the state (thanks to smuggling).

We have enough problems dealing with Mother Nature, we don't need additional ones caused by careless smuggling.

Please, do not smuggle fresh food off the ship at ports where it is forbidden. Do not assume that it will be okay and that nothing will happen. Is it likely? No. Is it possible? Yes. But what remains the most important issue is that agricultural restrictions are laws, not suggestions.

(Off soapbox.)

beachchick

I believe it is a really big no-no..you could bring some prepackages things with you that they could take back off..granola bars, cheese crackers but nothing unwrapped can go off the ship ....folks have done it but if you get caught the fines are really bad...it is a health department rule, not the cruise line.

Definitely pre-packaged food is the way to go. I have seen people with the zip lock baggie lunches confiscated. :eek:

(On soapbox.)

In almost every port taking fresh food off the ship is illegal and a huge issue. There are ag laws in place to protect the local ecosystem and both domestic and commercial agriculture. I am appalled at the number of people who advocate breaking these laws for convenience or because they can get away with it or because they think that the laws are silly or for any other rationalization. Saying that you can "go along" with part of the law is not enough. We are visitors and are expected to follow the regulations. It doesn't matter what we "think" about the laws; it doesn't matter if we agree with them; it doesn't matter whether we like it. We are well advised to believe that the local depts of ag actually know a thing or two about agriculture--probably quite a bit more than most of us. The only thing that matters is that the laws are in place for the protection and safety of the places we visit.

It is wrong to smuggle fresh food when we are told not to. Period. I am a nut on the issue because I live in CA and have lived through and am living through major ecological and economical agricultural problems caused by careless, thoughtless, or selfish people smuggling in items which are forbidden. The fruit fly infestation cost millions of dollars in eradication and lost production. When you have had to live your life for months at a time around scheduled malathion drops (fruit fly infestation), you don't take these things lightly. Right now, our dept of ag is spending countless hours and quite a bit of money in an attempt to prevent the glassy-winged sharpshooter from invading our counties and destroying the vineyards. These pests carry a disease (Pierce's) which ruins grape vines. It's already crept it's way around part of the state (thanks to smuggling).

We have enough problems dealing with Mother Nature, we don't need additional ones caused by careless smuggling.

Please, do not smuggle fresh food off the ship at ports where it is forbidden. Do not assume that it will be okay and that nothing will happen. Is it likely? No. Is it possible? Yes. But what remains the most important issue is that agricultural restrictions are laws, not suggestions.

(Off soapbox.)

beachchick

Does that soapbox have room for another? I agree with you 100%.

Sorry for the bad advice. It's been a while since I cruised Alaska -- I don't remember this being an issue but apparently I've just forgotten.

This is actually an issue in AZ too. I once heard a comedian say that they'll let you bring in almost anything -- drugs, guns, migrants -- but don't let them catch you trying to smuggle in a banana...

prepared food like sandwiches aren't the issue unless they contain veggies which might be a problem. In Hawaii its fear of fruit flies and other agricultural pests. Even flying between islands in Hawaii they inspect what you have for fresh fruit. I have taken rolls ashore etc..for a snack rarely do they inspect. In the US I have brought back dried and fresh flowers. The Department of Ag will inspect these( I take them out seperately and the D of A guy knows that I know the rules), they inspect them thoroughly. Hawaii has snakes that were brought in as pets and have been set free that have decimated the bird population. The Asian long horned beetle has killed more trees than weyerhaeuser(hyper bole- an exaggeration)...it came in as guests on wood pallets used to transport goods. California did get fruit flies from fresh fruit someone brought in. A sandwich is not going to change the local ecology.

I read somewhere this is a no-no?! Does anyone have any experience with this? My DH and DFIL are booked on a really early morning fishing trip when we head to Alaska, and just wondering if it's possible to pack them a sandwich or 2?

Thanks!

On our cruise to Alaska last year on the NCL Star, the Freestyle Daily did say "Fruits & vegetables are not allowed to be taken ashore". That was the only thing mentioned.

I read somewhere this is a no-no?! Does anyone have any experience with this? My DH and DFIL are booked on a really early morning fishing trip when we head to Alaska, and just wondering if it's possible to pack them a sandwich or 2?

Thanks!

They usually have those boxes of Cheerios, etc., that you can snag, along with a banana or two.

I don't think anyone really cares much.

Does that soapbox have room for another? I agree with you 100%.

It's going to get awfully crowded on the soapbox, since I want on as well.

Pre-packaged only. I really wish they would fine someone a huge amount, once and they would understand how serious this is.

When visiting Canada, all the following MUST be declared:

• meat and meat products;
  • cream, milk, cheese and other dairy products;
  • plants, trees, cut flowers and their soil (may require an import permit);
  • wood and wood products;
  • fruits and vegetables (may require an import permit);
  • pets, birds and other live animals (require an import permit or vaccination documentation);
  • feathers and down;
  • seeds and nuts; and
  • baby formula.

Why Items Must Be Declared

Dairy and Baby Formula

Health of Animals Act – dairy products could potentially introduce animal disease in Canada. For example, it would be possible to bring foot and mouth disease to Canada in dairy cream.

Meat Products

Health of Animals Act – meat products could potentially introduce animal disease in Canada. For example, it is believed that foot and mouth disease came to Canada through an imported sausage fed to swine.

Fruit and Vegetables

Plant Protection Regulations – fruit and vegetables pose a risk of introducing pests that have no natural enemy in Canada.

Nuts

Plant Protection Regulations – it is possible that nuts can carry pests. Moreover, if they still have soil on them it can contain nematodes (parasitic or free-living microscopic worms.

Sandwiches

Sandwiches have to be declared because they may include prohibited ingredients.

Live animals

Health of Animals Act – animals may be restricted or prohibited under the Health of Animals Act because they could possibly introduce animal disease to Canada.

Feathers and Down

Health of Animals Act – feathers and down may be restricted or prohibited under the Health of Animals Act because they could possibly introduce animal disease to Canada.

Skins, Hides and Furs

Health of Animals Act – any one animal byproduct could carry viruses if not properly processed.

Cut Flowers and Potted Plants

Plant Protection Regulations – cut flowers can introduce some harmful fungi to Canada, while potted plants can have nematodes (parasitic or free-living microscopic worms) or pests in their soil.

Seeds for Planting

Plant Protection Regulations – seeds may be prohibited if there is a presence of soil as it could contain nematodes (parasitic or free-living microscopic worms).

Wood Products

Plant Protection Regulations – wood products may be prohibited under plant protection regulations because of the possible introduction of pests.

Canada frequently stations a dog to check baggage for undeclared items.

They usually have those boxes of Cheerios, etc., that you can snag, along with a banana or two.

I don't think anyone really cares much.

beachchick--another california who has lived through the spraying agreeing 100% with you.

Yes there are people that do care for the enviroment.

Bananas are fruit and carry fruit flies which can destroy crops. Let some bananas sit in your kitchen for a few days

this is what it says in the freestyle daily. but the sign as we left said "no food to be taken off the ship". either way, i would just hate to come back from a cruise,after taking a sandwich off the ship..then hear on the news that they have a infestation where i just was. especailly when i had other options. it's too beautiful, up there, to be destroy by some little bug we can't even see with the naked eye.

they check all bags leaving the ship in juneau and skagway. in ketchikan we went off later, the table was there but no one checked.

fruit.jpg.61e6af5dfac3e28416bd7408ba21eae2.jpg

I would think that if you are going from a state in the US to another state in the US you should be fine. Example from California to Alaska or one of the Hawaiian ships. But that would be it.

Thats not true about it being ok if you are staying in the states, Hawaii for example. We were just on POH. DH asked to have a muffin put into saran wrap. The waiter in the buffet told us that it is a $3,000 fine if you are caught taking food from the ship. They also told us it wasn't the cruise line. He said no one on the ship cares if you take off food for shore excursions, he said it was coast guard rules. It was the first we ever heard of it.

When debarking in Port Canaveral a few months ago I observed a large sign above a trash bin. The sign indicated that there was a $10,000 fine that would be assessed on anyone caught trying to clear customs with food.

I'm also on the soap box. While many states and provinces are selective in how they enforce their ag import regulations, they all have them. State to state, province to province, country to country, one can't be too careful. The damage that a pest can do is enormous. Protect farmers, leave the food on-board.

ever gotten stop at the border between arizona and california. i have seen them take all the groceries out of RVs when the restrictions are in place. strip the poor folks of all their open veggies, fruits and such. don't even try to take a house plant across. moving from californa to arizona was no problem, even with my houseplants, but coming the other way...

they had this big trash barrel for you to throw out stuff. the inspection stations was there all during the 1960s to ? i haven't been that way for a long time.

different states are different problems, they are trying to keep each problem from spreading. one area may be under control, some areas are virgin growth with no natural protection.

Thanks!

Buffet opens early. Room service also. They will have time to eat. They certainly won't starve;)

Just follow the rules:)

Wow. It's great to read all the supportive posts. The issue is so serious and yet taken so lightly by some.

dwrist: You'll appreciate this story. One evening my best friend and I were lounging in the hot tub at her apartment complex. All of a sudden we heard the rotors of helicopters. "Oh (expletive)" we had forgotten to check the schedule. We rush out of the hot tub, grab our stuff, and make a mad sprint (dripping wet) to get indoors before the spraying started. What a mess. And you know how much collateral damage (such as ruined paint jobs on cars) occurred.

beachchick

Archived