Norway fans??

cruiseboys

Just wondered if I was the only one who keeps up with the sad demise of this beautiful lady?? While everyone talks about all the new and exciting things to do on today's "hotels at sea", I think about the really great times I had on this great "SHIP". Any thoughts??

Just wondered if I was the only one who keeps up with the sad demise of this beautiful lady?? While everyone talks about all the new and exciting things to do on today's "hotels at sea", I think about the really great times I had on this great "SHIP". Any thoughts??

Gave up following the demise - it is over - time to move on. :) We can not live in past. All that really remains are memories.

Gave up following the demise - it is over - time to move on. :) We can not live in past. All that really remains are memories.

How true! I remember the beautiful two story formal lounge on The Norway. My daughter was about nine years old on that particular cruise. She told us that she would be singing with the band in the lounge that evening. Huh?

We sat there with her at our table doubting the whole story. Near the end of a set, she ran up to the band and they started to set up for her song. Amazing!

Now we worried. Will the room clear out? Will our baby be embarrassed? Will we be embarrassed? Well, she sang and darned if people, hearing her pretty-good child's singing voice, didn't come into the room through the big doors on either side of the lounge to stand and listen. Nice applause? Nice night.

Lot's of memories of The Norway. Don't wanna see none of those current beach pictures! :eek:

PS: The accompanying picture is our son, not our daughter. :D

How true! I remember the beautiful two story formal lounge on The Norway. Lot's of memories of The Norway. Don't wanna see none of those current beach pictures! :eek:

Blast from the past - pulled all the old Norway shots from the website before it went away.

05_clbint.jpg.3784d4d69fa9770caaf42d5280d646b4.jpg

there is another cruise message board, with a thread that is about 1000 pages long about the Norway, a literal blow-by-blow for the last two years. I am surprised they havent renamed their site, since it is about the only thing anyone posts about.

Check it out.

I cherish my memories and my pictures from my Norway cruises, the first ship I sailed on. The Norway looked and felt like a real ship, and exploring the nooks and crannies was such fun. But I don't want to follow the demise into rust and scrap; it's simply too painful to think about.

Everyone who sailed the Norway remembers the Club Internationale. How many remember the tiny piano bar Windjammer? It was too dark for interior photos, but here's a shot of the outside. It was smokey, but I smoked then, so I didn't care. It was such a charming little lounge.

15.jpg

Everyone who sailed the Norway remembers the Club Internationale. How many remember the tiny piano bar Windjammer? It was too dark for interior photos, but here's a shot of the outside. It was smokey, but I smoked then, so I didn't care. It was such a charming little lounge.
Oh, I do! It was the very first public room I ever set foot in on the Norway, because that was where our group had always met up at the start of the cruise (even before I joined it), and it was always the bar of choice for the hard core of the group. We were in there before dinner every night, and it was great to be able to expect the same bar staff there every year. Many happy memories, although also many happy memories of Club I as well.

The Norway is perhaps the only ship that I get emotional about. I'm quite fond of the Sun, too, because I've sailed her more times than any other ship and had some good times on board her as well. But the Norway was different. She was a real ship; a ship that had her own personality as well as the personalities of all the people on board her. My only regret is that I didn't sail her earlier or more often.

"Don't give up the ship!"

I've been following the story of the USS United States-- which was another glorious cruise ship. It's now rotting away in Philadelphia. Four years ago, NCL bought her with talk of restoring her and getting her sailing once again. There has been no word yet what will happen.

There are a few websites dedicated to the USS United States including a group which has been quite active in saving her. They have launched a number of campaigns, and are about to launch yet another. You can read about it here:

http://www.ssunitedstates.org/latestnews.htm

and here, (among other sites)

http://flare.net/users/e9ee52a/ssunited.htm

I spent a year on the Norway in the beginning of my time with NCL. I will never forget her. The sounds, the smells, the people. For me the crew corridor on Biscayne deck was as glorious as the Club I., and nothing was like the silent calm nights on the bridge just the horizon ahead of you.

Spending the days in the tenders was also great fun watching all the happy people going ashore, and excited back to the beautiful Norway in the afternoons.

We were close to 1000 people from all over the world working onboard at any time. The UN flag was flying in the mast as a symbold of how the world can work together as a team.

This website is created by a former norway officer and has loads of pictures from the Norway and other cruise ships. It's worth checking out.

www.captainsvoyage.com

At the same time I invite you all to post, or post links to your own pictures from the beautiful blue!

I spent a year on the Norway in the beginning of my time with NCL. I will never forget her. The sounds, the smells, the people. For me the crew corridor on Biscayne deck was as glorious as the Club I., and nothing was like the silent calm nights on the bridge just the horizon ahead of you.

Spending the days in the tenders was also great fun watching all the happy people going ashore, and excited back to the beautiful Norway in the afternoons.

We were close to 1000 people from all over the world working onboard at any time. The UN flag was flying in the mast as a symbold of how the world can work together as a team.

This website is created by a former norway officer and has loads of pictures from the Norway and other cruise ships. It's worth checking out.

www.captainsvoyage.com

At the same time I invite you all to post, or post links to your own pictures from the beautiful blue!

There is almost nothing on that site, lots of structure, BUT...Wasted a lot of time following links that say.....pictures coming soon and stuff like that.....:confused:

I miss the beautiful old Norway too ..the old SS France .with French push buttons still in the elevators ..and teak deck. Such grace ... I really regret not buying a video they offered on board of its history. Now the ships are all fake plastic, glitz, neon ... just like so many who sail them!

There is almost nothing on that site, lots of structure, BUT...Wasted a lot of time following links that say.....pictures coming soon and stuff like that.....:confused:

Then you didn't look close enough. But try this link. this will get you right to the online forum. Then look under the SS Norway subject.

http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/index.php

I'm sad the SS Norway's time has come. I never sailed on the SS Norway or SS France. It's just another mass of steel to me.

The only 100% thing that will happen to us is that we will die. But no one and nothing can cheat death for long.

The cost to repair the Norway is apparently higher than what she is worth. Only a few organizations have formed plans to extend her life. I'm sorry these few have failed to amass enough cash to buy and repair her.

I think those waiting with hope that India's Supreme Court (ISC) will prevent her scrapping in India are waiting in vain. From what I've read, the ISC has been more interested that standards for meeting the Basel Convention for environmental protection and workers health than sending the Norway/France back to whince it came.

Many will suggest the Basel Convention bans shipping of hazardous wastes across borders. They are wrong.

From http://www.basel.int/pub/simp-guide.pdf

The Basel Convention goals are best summed up by the three steps

(1) Minimze the generation of harzadous wastes.

(2) Treat and dispose of hazardous wastes as close as possible to where they were generated.

(3) Minimize international movements of hazardous wastes.

The Basel Convention came forceable in 1992. In 1995, Parties to the Convention gave developing countries yet another tool for protecting themselves against unwanted imports of hazardous wastes. Under the so-called Ban Amendment, the countries listed in Annex VII (EU and OECD members, plus Liechtenstein) shall not export hazardous wastes intended for recovery, recycling or final disposal to countries not listed in Annex VII. Note, Annex VII isn't in force, offically there are no countries listed. Therefore, the Ban Amendment hasn't been offically adopted.

On the specific issue of shipbreaking, the Basel Convention has setup a working committee, which is still studying the issue. This working committee is more interested in protecting the environment and increasing worker safety, than trying to develope ways to enforce the Ban Amendment.

That's why the ISC has been waiting on what steps are being planned to prrotect the environment and protect the workers safety before making a final ruling on whether the Norway/france can be scrapped at Alang. If the ISC determines a sufficent plan is in place, the Norway/France scapping can commence. If the ISC determines the plan isn't sufficent, they could order many things according to the Convention, expelling the Norway/France is just one of many options it could take.

Like a minority on this thread, I am still following the saga of the Norway daily and will not give up hope until the breakers actually board her with blow torches.

She still sits beached at Alang in India, but reports are conflicting on whether she's actually land-based or not. Some say an eager scavenger took photos of her at the lowest tide to make her look unfloatable to discourage efforts to save her. Others say it's not true and she could be refloated with dredging.

Some say the hull has been damaged beyond salvation. Others say the sand is soft and cushioning and she was built to withstand her current resting place.

The Indian court is supposed to meet again on April 30 to discuss whether to allow scrapping. They have dragged their feet for 8 months, letting unscrupulous scrap merchants illegally beach the ship and then winch her even closer to shore without consequences. It would seem the court is just letting time make their decision for them, hoping the ship starts falling apart on its own so they can shrug and say, "Oh, well, what can we do now? She can't be moved, so let's just let our breakers go ahead, expose themselves to asbestos without proper protection, and die slow, horrible deaths. The steel merchants need to make a buck."

However, there's another hot rumor circulating right now of someone in heavy negotiation to buy the ship with a plan to resurrect her in some fashion. It's all very Spy Vs. Spy, with no details being released, so no one really knows if it's on the level.

But after my many, many times on board, I can't let go yet and I still hope for a happy outcome...

On the other hand, I have no hope for the Independence and the SS United States. NCL has already made its intention clear by announcing they intend to have the "newest" fleet in the industry.

Thanks everyone who posted a reply.....

I know everything doesn't last forever but since Norway was the first ship I sailed (and, to date, the most times sailed in 50 cruises) she holds a special place in my heart.

Don't mean to sound sappy, but she will be missed.

Archived