What's the best way to become an independant travel agent?

mithryl

I'm thinking about becoming a travel agent (independant), working from home and getting CLIA certified. Anyone know the best way to do it? I know there are no Federal Requirements and my state has no specific certification laws either, but vendors want to be assured they can trust to work with you. Anyone go through this themselves? Not looking for TA advertising, just advice on how to get started in the industry. Seems to be a lot of hype out there to weed through.

Thanks in advance for any insights you can offer.

I'm thinking about becoming a travel agent (independant), working from home and getting CLIA certified. Anyone know the best way to do it? I know there are no Federal Requirements and my state has no specific certification laws either, but vendors want to be assured they can trust to work with you. Anyone go through this themselves? Not looking for TA advertising, just advice on how to get started in the industry. Seems to be a lot of hype out there to weed through.

Thanks in advance for any insights you can offer.

Well, first of all, you can work from home without being an independant agent. Many TA companies are totally or partially home based. That being said, I wouldn't think of starting out as a totally independant agent. By working for an established organization you will have the benefit of marketing, support group and even commission breaks. Why don't you look at it that way? Also think about why you want to be an agent? I am not trying to discourage you, but it isn't quite what some think it is. You work very hard (most of the time) have various types of fees and insurance to pay, advertising cost even if you work for a corporation and need to continue to learn about not only cruises, but other forms of travel plus you need a computer system that will work with the cruise lines and tour companies. I think too many people think being an agent is not all that hard, would be fun and will entitle them to free and discount cruising or vacations; ask us, most of us will tell you, we rarely, if ever use our travel perks. NMnita

Archived