20 Days = 2 x 10?

prplspud

First time cruiser and poster. Sincere thanks to all who are so generous with their comments. I have learned a lot lurking here the last few weeks. My DH and I will be travelling on a 20 day HAL cruise in Europe later this summer. We believe this is 2 ten day cruises combined. The brochure names the cruise as the Mediterranean Mosaic.

I was wondering what to expect in that case? Will we have to repack, disembark and reboard as new guests?

We have dinner seating at 8:15 at a table of six. If we don't like that, can we have that changed for the second half of the cruise?

My DH thinks I'm over researching it all and taking the fun and surprise out of things, but I like to be prepared. We are combining the cruise with some other travelling and are restricting ourselves to one suitcase each, so I'm trying to be as organized as possible.

Thanks in advance...

We have done quite a few 20 day cruises that were 2 ten day back-to-back cruises.

Because we book far enough in advance, we always have the same cabin so do not have to move anything.

Are you in the same cabin? If you are - no moving between cruises. If not, your cabin steward will be happy to assist you. You will not have to get off the ship with your luggage. You will be given new ID cards the night before the second half of your cruise begins and you will have to get new pictures taken for the new ID cards.

As for dining - you can always go and see the maitre'd when you board the ship to see about a time change even for the first cruise. And if you aren't able to change, difinitely talk to him as soon as possible for a different table if you don;t like the one you are assigned to or the time.

Thanks for your response. We booked back in December but don't have our documents yet. I'm assuming we'll be in the same cabin. It's nice to know we won't have to "leave" in between.

As for dining, we're not expecting any difficulties. I just thought we might like to mix things up a bit, but I suppose that our table mates might only be booked for 10 days and that might mix things up enough.

Now I just have to figure out if I want to try to buy some wine/champagne in Rome before we embark...does the corkage fee only apply if you're consuming it in the dining room or does it also apply to consuming in your cabin?

:)

I just checked out the Mediterranean Mosaic on HAL's site and you are booked on a 20 day cruise, so you will not need to change cabins. You haven't booked a back to back yourself, but will have the same itineraries as b2b cruises.

As far as dining arrangements go, give it a day or two and if you're not happy with your tablemates, ask for a change. You might find though, that you really click with the people at the table, so you never know. Re: corkage - it only applies if you're bringing your bottles into the dining room. In-room consumption is corkage-free.

Enjoy your cruise - I'm sure you're going to enjoy the destinations; we've been to a number of the ports you're visiting and are looking forward to returning to them again in the future.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Thanks for the info on corkage. We're pretty easy going people so don't really expect any problems with table mates, just wondering about options.

We're really excited about the whole thing. Glad to hear about the ports, ger 77. With these destinations I can't even fathom not getting off at every available port and doing excursions!

You will get tons of information if you go to Europe boards in the Ports of Call Section. We've been on two Med cruises and both were fantastic - it can give you some great ideas for excursions or doing it on your own.

Check in the Roll Calls section for your cruise and you will meet some wonderful people. (That's how I know Gerry:D).

You will have a fantastic time!

I'm so impressed that you will be able to pack only one suitcase each. We just took a 10 day cruise and had one suitcase each, a carry on each, and a garment bag. Of course, I had too much clothing, but I'm always curious as to how people manage to do this.

I've been to the Roll Call section and maybe I'm not doing it right, but I can't seem to find our cruise. It would definitely be fun to meet someone else who may be travelling! I suppose I can start a thread of my own there... hmmm.

I don't have much choice about one bag. I've never done it before. I'm going to try to use the One Bag packing list. We are preceding the cruise with a 15 day bus tour from London to Rome and we are only allowed to bring one suitcase. We will actually be away for a total of 9 weeks... this is where the dress code on HAL causes some concern. I think I'll rent a tux for my DH and have it delivered to the ship, but am dissatisfied with the options available for ladies.

From other discussions I've had with people it would seem that using 2 suitcases on a regular basis is somewhat a North American thing. On the intra European flights we are taking we've already been advised we are only permitted one piece of checked luggage.

I've been trying to find reversible outfits, but so far have been disappointed with the options. Oh well we'll figure it out. Lots of layering and hand washing for sure:)

I got the Roll Call figured out and found the cruise. Although I had joined as a member I had yet to make any postings. When I went to the Roll Call for my ship, it was mostly blank. Now that I've posted I see a large number of cruises!

Thanks.

prplspud: Don't worry about formal wear for yourself - bring 1 long black skirt or evening pants(made from poly/silk/jersey or other lightweight fabric), and a couple of different sparkly tops. Or a single black top and a couple of different scarves and/or jewellery to make the top look a little different for each night. Scarves are an amazingly easy way to dress up a simple black dress or top and change it's look. I admire you for being able to contain everything in 1 suitcase per person - I'm thinking if I had to do it for as long as you are, the suitcase would likely take at least 3 people to carry!

jan: Thanks - you are soo sweet; I consider me to be the lucky one! How long till your next trip? We're still waiting for the glaciers to recede from our back yards to see if we're going to get spring this year!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

What ger_77 said about women's formal wear; exactly right, I think! Men have it rougher; tuxes take up much more room!

I can usually manage one bag too (and a computer bag as my carry-on; I always have my laptop with me), and if we'll be gone more than 2 weeks it usually means keeping one basic color for major pieces to minimize the number of pairs of shoes I need. My other major "trick" is using those "roll-up vacuum" bags for clothing that doesn't wrinkle easily--you put items in the bag and roll tightly; the air is forced out of the one-way valve at the other end. It's amazing how much you can get into a suitcase with this system. And I only have 5 days worth of clothes; we use the ship's laundry service. The bag will be heavy, but it will all be in.

If we're going out snorkeling or swimming for the day, I put towels and clothing changes in a roll-up bag; it then fits easily into the HAL tote they'll give you the night before the first port. A spare bag I take along holds wet stuff on our return to the ship; the seal-strip keeps everything else dry.

are you being charged for 2 crusie rentals or just one? I am on a similar cruise and booked a 20 day cruise not 2 b2b 10 days and would argue to pay the single rental.

My other concern is the change in formal requirements downgraded to jacket and tie. Not needing a business suit or tux anymore. Thoughts????

I haven't booked it just yet. Since we've still got several months to go, I haven't felt that sense of urgency. I'm going to wait until we make our final payment before I fill out the rental forms. Maybe you can let me know what kind of response you get?

My other concern is the change in formal requirements downgraded to jacket and tie. Not needing a business suit or tux anymore. Thoughts????

There hasn't been any change in the formal "requirements" for men. The standard has been---and remains---that a tux/dinner jacket, dark suit, or sport coat w/tie fulfills the expectation.

Of course, a suit or sport coat isn't "formal" in any sense of the word, but it does meet the code.

Of course, a suit or sport coat isn't "formal" in any sense of the word, but it does meet the code.

I would argue that a dark suit and tie constitutes "business formal"--that's at least what employers call it when you need to wear a suit, as opposed to "business casual" consisting of slacks and a collared shirt.

I would agree that a sport coat is not in any way formal.

Archived