Zip Line Canopy Tours

Landry

Hi there!

i haven't been on this tour yet, but we did book one. We decided to go with Alaska Canopy Adventures in Juneau. It will be my 13 DD, my 67 (years young) Dad, and I doing the zipline in June. Here is a page I found that lists the zipline operators in Juneau:

http://www.traveljuneau.com/planner/attractions/results.cfm?SubcategoryID=207

The company we went (the first one listed) with does ziplines in both Ketchikan and Juneau. Here is a chart to compare the two:

http://www.alaskacanopyadventures.com/files/ACA_Comparison_Chart.pdf

I'm not sure if there is anyone else that does it in Ketchikan, maybe someone else can answer that for you.

I hope this info helps you. Have fun in Alaska, whatever you choose to do!

• 2 weeks later...

Our group of 4 adults did this excursion through Princess in Juneau. We are planning another cruise and land trip in 2009 and we all have decided we want to do this again. It was great fun....and a little scary at first. The kids who were our guides were a lot of fun. One thing I would change...we were afraid to take our camera for fear of losing it. Next time we will take the camera.

Our group of 4 adults did this excursion through Princess in Juneau. We are planning another cruise and land trip in 2009 and we all have decided we want to do this again. It was great fun....and a little scary at first. The kids who were our guides were a lot of fun. One thing I would change...we were afraid to take our camera for fear of losing it. Next time we will take the camera.

Would it be fine as long as the camera has a neck strap? How about video cameras? I am debating bringing our older, cheaper camera just in case... any thoughts?

If you have a neck strap you could easily take your camera. Other people in our group decided to take a disposable camera and then they had the pictures developed on the ship. The pictures were pretty poor quality but at least they have them

Thank you! :)

I have been on a Zip line before, took a cheap camera, next time I will take my nice digital camera. Just keep it around your neck.

Thanks for the reassurance! I figure that with beautiful scenery, I want to use the best camera I have!

Has anyone done video while riding down?

Thanks for the reassurance! I figure that with beautiful scenery, I want to use the best camera I have!

Has anyone done video while riding down?

We took the Rainforest Canopy Zip Line in Ketchikan and had a blast. I don't think it would be advisable to film as you "zip". One hand is used to control your speed as you approach the next platform, and the other is used to help keep you straight.

If you visit my webshots in my signature link you can see some photos from this excursion.

Have fun!

Oh, I see! Thanks so much for posting those photos! I didn't realize that you controlled anything - I thought it was more like a ride, and I was hoping to take a few photos as I zoomed down the line! I'm glad I have a better idea of what to expect now. You guys did a great job of taking pictures of each other! :)

Oh, I see! Thanks so much for posting those photos! I didn't realize that you controlled anything - I thought it was more like a ride, and I was hoping to take a few photos as I zoomed down the line! I'm glad I have a better idea of what to expect now. You guys did a great job of taking pictures of each other! :)

We really enjoyed this excursion. After rigging up at the shop, you are loaded into a 6-wheel AWD that takes you up into the Rainforest to your first platform.

Once there, you are given instructions and take a short zip to get the feel for everything. Safety is always paramount. You are always connected to the cables, even when on the platforms.

Once you step off the first platform you're hooked!

There are also some bridges that you walk across as you descend.

I'm a little nervous, but I also think it looks like a blast! I bet that first step-off is a little scary, though! If Princess lets 20 people book for a specific time, does that mean that there will be 20 in our group, or will they break us up? Waiting for 20 people seems awfully long... :)

I'm a little nervous, but I also think it looks like a blast! I bet that first step-off is a little scary, though! If Princess lets 20 people book for a specific time, does that mean that there will be 20 in our group, or will they break us up? Waiting for 20 people seems awfully long... :)

I was wondering the same thing! There are 5 of us in our group and I just wondered how many they send up in a group. I hope someone knows!

Thanks for the help!

It really depends on which zipline tour you take.

I'm booked independently with Alaska Zipline Adventures in Juneau. I went with them because it IS a ride. You don't have to hang on, you don't have to steer, you don't have to wear big leather gloves. As they say, You just sit back and enjoy the ride, and they do all the work. :D

They advertise themselves as the only alpine zipline adventure.

Here's their website: http://www.alaskazip.com/

Linda

Thank you for pointing this out. I am assuming that Princess books with Alaska Canopy Tours, which looks like you do need to control the brakes and such. (Of course, I could be totally wrong about this). While researching the 2 companies, I didn't even realize that there was this difference! We'll be in Juneau on a Sunday, and the Alaska Zipline Adventures says to call for availability... we'll see what they say!

I was wondering the same thing! There are 5 of us in our group and I just wondered how many they send up in a group. I hope someone knows!

Thanks for the help!

On this excursion, we had 8 in our group. The wait on the platforms between zip lines was not an issue and gave you time to photo other "zippers" and the beautiful Tongass Narrows.

I am interested in doing this in ketchikan. Most of the responses have been to do it in Juneau. Interested in anyone posting up the price for this tour. Can I book this independent??

Last year we booked independently of the cruise line. If memory serves the cruise line price was $163, and we booked for $128.

Would really recommend this tour if you're looking for a thrill and have no fear of heights.

went on the Alaska Ziplines tour in Juneau last summer I chickened out. In the winter this area is a ski resort! They actually put it all together when there was snow (they told us this). I didn't go because the single line wasn't my thing, not that it wasn't safe, I just didn't feel that it would be safe. I ziplined in Mexico and didn't have a problem so I don't know what came over me. However, we are signed up for the Canopy vs. Zipline tour this summer and I am going to try again :)

I'm having trouble getting the Alaska Zipline Adventures company to return my call and email... is this because they are off-season right now? Or is not responding their way of showing that they're not a reputable company? My gut tells me to forget them and book with the cruise line (I think they use a different company), but I'd really like to save the $50 and book independently...

I'm having trouble getting the Alaska Zipline Adventures company to return my call and email... is this because they are off-season right now? Or is not responding their way of showing that they're not a reputable company? My gut tells me to forget them and book with the cruise line (I think they use a different company), but I'd really like to save the $50 and book independently...

We looked at the independant site mentioned in this thread last night. While it would be great to save $50 pp, I really like the fact that the cruise ship one goes to an old abandoned gold mine!! Double the adventure! :D We went ahead and booked it last night on Carnival's site!

We looked at the independant site mentioned in this thread last night. While it would be great to save $50 pp, I really like the fact that the cruise ship one goes to an old abandoned gold mine!! Double the adventure! :D We went ahead and booked it last night on Carnival's site!

That's true, but it looks like that company (Alaska Canopy Adventures) requires you to do hand-braking for yourself, and I'd like to just ride down (with Alaska Zipline Adventures) and take photos as I go! Here is the website for Alaska Canopy Adventures, in case you haven't had a chance to check it out yet: http://www.alaskacanopyadventures.com/index.html It looks like fun! :)

Archived