"IF" you decided to book a "cruise/land tour"

newbie2468

Which cruiseline and ship would you choose and why?

Which has the best 10/11 day option for the money and scenery? I know that it is personal preference... but I am thinking the first time to Alaska I want someone to "do the driving for me." I know it isn't the most economical, but after I go once then I will do the rent the car route. I only have 10 or 11 days to give and want the very best overall experience.. Thanks for all the input

Tory

There is a company that others on this board have used called Alaska Tour and Travel (www.alaskatravel.com). They might only do custom itineraries for independent travelers though I am not sure. Might be worth checking out.

My strong suggestion to you if you book a cruisetour is to figure out what you want to do (where you want to go, what you want to see) then find the cruisetour that does that. If you have a desire to go to Denali NP, I would not even consider a cruisetour that did not spend two nights there. One night is just not enough time at Denali (arrive one afternoon, leave the next afternoon). I would hate to say it is a waste of time but.... Remember, once you get to the park entrance, it is a 90 mile 13 hour round trip bus ride from there to the furthest point inside the park that is accessible by road. You usually won't even get 20% of the way into the park if you go for only one night.

I stay there a minimum of three nights but I am big on taking the park road more than once for more chances of seeing wildlife and Mt. McKinley and to be able to do some fun hiking. But two nights would be the absolute minimum there.

We are taking a Princess cruisetour. We have never been to Alaska before and there are 13 in our family group so this was the most convenient, although I'm sure not the least expensive, way to coordinate that number of people. We liked the Princess itinerary and it was highly recommended by our TA. If just DH and I go back another time we will probably do it on our own.

You are going to have to decide what is important to you. Make a graph chart of what you want to do and see, ports and time in ports, glaciers, budget, cabin available, etc. Then across the top put the cruiseline/ship. Then as you research put an "X" in the joining box. When you finish you should have one with more "Xs" and that's the one you do.

I selected HAL Yukon Wilderness Cruisetour #1 on 8/18/07 because after seeing movies and reading books about the Gold Rush Days and the Yukon and Alaska, it all seemed like it went together. We leave Vancouver and sail 3 days to Tracy Arm, Juneau and Skagway. We depart the ship in Skagway, Yukon RR up to Whitehorse, coach to Dawson City, Riverboat to Eagle, coach to Tok, Chicken and Fairbanks. Domed railcar to Denali, then on to Anchorage. It's 3 days at sea and 8 days on land, it does the things I wanted to do. I even book airfare and transfers with HAL, so I wouldn't have the hassle.

Have fun planning and taking your trip to Alaska.

Short cruisetours aren't always the best choice. A great deal of the time is in transit. Denali Park which usually is the entire highlight of most cruisetours may only include the Natural History tour, which, my opinion only is equal to going to Disneyland and not getting out of the parking lot. You miss a significant reason of going there- scenery and wildlife.

Something to consider- do your homework. AND know exactly WHAT you are purchasing- many people do not. You can not rely on descriptions which are vague at best nor your TA- usually.

Factor out all the transit time, and determine if your tour choice is what you think it is. Overall short cruisetour, have most of the time in transit and little time at the destination. As mentioned above, if you don't want to drive, The Alaska RR is a great option for Denali Park, 2 nights, at least are necessary. Don't consider any less.

Denali Park, has several options into the park, Tour buses and Shuttle buses. Distance is the key here, farther equals more scenery and wildlife viewing opportunities. The tour buses Natural History tour mile 16, Tundra Wilderness tour mile 53, Shuttle buses, Toklat mile 53, Fish Creek mile 63 (my min. recommendation) Wonder Lake mile 85.

Figure everything out- and go with your desired booking. It pays many times over, to be well informed.

Archived