Questions about Taku flight and feast

luvscruising2007

There will be several "runs" by the float planes dropping off and picking up passengers. The planes can hold between 6 and 10 on average. I went several years ago, when the numbers of visitors to Alaska was a fraction of what it is today. Hopefully someone who went last year can give the numbers of people at the lodge.

We are scheduled for this excursion in June at the recommendation of our TA. I am curious about the number of people on one of these float planes and how many groups will be there at one time.

Thanks for all the helpful info on this site.

j

We did this excursion last year and enjoyed it immensely! Take a look at my "Yahoo" pictures and you'll see those from this excursion which also has a few of inside the Taku Lodge.

I would guess there were about 40 people there at a time. It seems like the planes held 8 people and there were 5 planes. We actually left Juneau at 5:00 PM and arrived at Taku at 5:30. We had plenty of time (about 2 hours) to eat a delicious meal, walk around the trails, visit the gift shop and just linger a few minutes before planes arrived back with a new load of visitors. We arrived back in Juneau at 8:00 PM after another scenic flight.

Very enjoyable and also relaxing away from the crowds!:D

I did this a number of years ago, believe it was in July 2000. The #'s quoted eariler sound right to me, I think we had 8-10 on my plane and there were 4-5 planes arriving at the same time. Not sure what time exactly we were there but recall that looking at the glacier the sun was directly behind it which made pictures very poor.

IMHO opinion I thought my glacier flightseeing trip was considerably cheaper, had more flight time, and saw better scenery.

Doug

Try this site for details about the Taku Glacier lodge tour (the menu is even posted): http://www.wingsairways.com/taku-lodge-glacier-flight.html

And this one for pictures of their aircraft:

http://www.wingsairways.com/juneau-floatplanes.html

We're booked on this for our May cruise and very much looking forward to it. Even though I grew up in Juneau, I somehow never made it out to the lodge.

Deb

brunolvr - loved your photos - we are booked for this trip in July, about the same time of day as well. really looking forward to it.

kiwiKeith, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!

During our flights to and from Taku Lodge, both my husband and I clicked away taking lots and lots of pictures, posting only a few online. We sat on different sides of the plane so we would get different shots.

Our group didn't get to see any bears there, but apparently the aroma of the salmon cooking does sometimes bring a bear or two to the area.:eek:

Have a wonderful trip!

I agree that this was one of the best excursions. We went last year and 40 or so people sounds about right. We went earlier in the day as I recall, around 2 pm. The flight there was amazing scenery. The grounds were lovely with a great view of Taku glacier. The salmon was cooked right outside the lodge and we strolled around the grounds and watched the cook occasionally. While we were inside eating a yummy meal, a bear came right up to the grilling area and we all hurried out to watch her eat and she just looked up occasionally and kept on eating!!! It was a terrific experience. We are planning a return trip to Alaska in 2008 and I am hoping that maybe we can return to Taku Lodge. I loved the floatplane ride, too...Very positive experience for us!!!

Great excursion and wonderful food. I loved their biscuits so much that I bought their cookbook just for that recipe. I have some pictures ( and yes, we had a bear by the grill! I will try to link a picture later. We were there last year the 2nd week of June. Fair warning- though it does not take away me wanting to do this excursion again-Mosquitos! They do provide numerous kinds of spray etc , and private bug zappers. It was absolutely beautiful around the lodge and has a very interesting past.

Archived