QM2 as alternative to flying

Trey

On previous trans-Atlantic experiences, I ran into a lot of passengers on board mostly for the transport rather than the "experience." Wonder if QM2 is seeing this?

Although not as many as on previous QE2 crossings, we met a number of people on the maiden crossing who were using the ship as a means of transport.

If time isn't an issue, when you add the cost of six nights accomodation and six days meals to the cost of a one-way airfare going by ship becomes a viable alternative.

On my QE2 crossing quite a few people seemed to be combining business and pleasure. A chap I chatted to crossed several time a year for a few weeks business in London. He hated flying and the cost on QE2 was comparable to business class airfare. A woman on my table was a doctor relocating with work to Germany.

There was a group of American students who were planning to travel through Europe. We also had a group of Amish (hope I have got that right) people.

Quite a few passengers would get off QE2 and straight onto Concorde. A few people would spend a six hours in the UK and travel back on the return QE2 crossing.

There were more than a few ship nuts who would happily take QE2 anywhere.

Crossing attracts such a wide variety of people. That is one of the attractions for me.

Best wishes Stephen.

[url="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CunardShipQM2/"]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CunardShipQM2/[/url]

One thing that's important to note is that up until a few years ago on QE2 you could actually forfeit your one-way air ticket and take the ship round-trip instead for no extra charge.

I'm not sure how much it costs to do it now, but I'll bet they charge a pretty penny.

As for the cost of the typical one-way QM2/one-way economy air trip versus a round-trip air ticket, as mentioned above if you add in the cost of spending that six days in, say, London instead, the crossing by ship is cheap... However I doubt that most people (non ship enthusiasts) would value the six days on the ship the same as they would six days on land in London or New York or wherever.

Doug Newman
Cruise Critic Message Boards Host
e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

Archived