Anyone have any thoughts on wearing Jeans

CruisinShips

Talk about LOL.

Trends die, thankfully or we'd all still be slicking our hair back and wearing poodle skirts.

And "more expensive" just means you're over paying for something, it isn't the same as higher priced, which usually equates better quality.

Then again most "younger" people don't understand the difference.

"Hipper"? What century is that from? :D

It's about fashion. While I agree that more expensive can be a rip-off, more expensive can also mean they look better, fit differently, and are more stylish than say a pair of Wranglers off the rack at Wal Mart. There is a difference. And what we are talking about here is what is "acceptable" attire in nicer dining venues in 2007. Not our opinions as to what is a fair price for a pair of jeans....

It's about fashion. While I agree that more expensive can be a rip-off, more expensive can also mean they look better, fit differently, and are more stylish than say a pair of Wranglers off the rack at Wal Mart. There is a difference. And what we are talking about here is what is "acceptable" attire in nicer dining venues in 2007. Not our opinions as to what is a fair price for a pair of jeans....
Um, you were talking about "fine dining venues".

Paying more for a meal is not going to change my clothes, regardless of what I paid for them. :p

Upscale fine dining venues and jeans. Hmmmmmm, something doesnt look right

I wouldn't consider the Carnival dining room an "upscale fine dining venue", that's reserved for the Supper club, where I've NEVER seen jeans. I don't equate upscale fine dining with waiters dancing on serving tables wearing pink wigs and blinky sunglasses singing 'HEY BABY'.

Upscale fine dining venues and jeans. Hmmmmmm, something doesnt look right

I wouldn't consider the Carnival dining room an "upscale fine dining venue", that's reserved for the Supper club, where I've NEVER seen jeans. I don't equate upscale fine dining with waiters dancing on serving tables wearing pink wigs and blinky sunglasses singing 'HEY BABY'.

I didnt mention the Carnival dining room in my post. I said = upscale fine dining venues and jeans. Hmmmmmm, something doesnt look right.

Dan

some of you who think jeans are inappropriate don't go out to the trendier, more expensive, "hipper", younger restaurants too often. Because if you did, you will see that that these upscale, fine dining venues of today are not your father's restaurants and designer jeans and button down shirts are the way most of the patrons dress in nice restaurants in this century.

That's great - IF you're going to one of those restaurants. If, like me, you're going on a cruise ship INSTEAD of the "trendier, more expensive, hipper" restaurants, you should probably dress like you're asked to on the ship, not in the trendy restaurant. I fail to see how the way people dress in a "trendy, hip" restaurant has anything whatsoever to do with the requested dress code on a ship.

I hear people wear shorts to Pizza Hut all the time. Does that mean it's OK on a ship?

Regardless of where you stand on the jeans vs. no jeans debate, this "logic" of yours is completely irrelevant to the situation.

some of you who think jeans are inappropriate don't go out to the trendier, more expensive, "hipper", younger restaurants too often. Because if you did, you will see that that these upscale, fine dining venues of today are not your father's restaurants and designer jeans and button down shirts are the way most of the patrons dress in nice restaurants in this century.

Trendy and upscale are mutually exclusive terms...

Just because some food critic says some chef is the next_____ then the place is trendy.

I have been to trendy places that had no dress code, and I have been to trendy places that had coat & tie required.

But EVERY upscale place I have been to said jacket required, and if you didn't have one, they gave you one to put on.

At the end of the day, unless CCL posts on their Capers/Website/Write in Blood that jeans are VERBOTEN in the dining room at night, then people will wear them. Even though the website states "Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit ".

The legal eagles will say "it doesn't say NO JEANS, ergo I will bring them..." and technically they are right, it doesn't say "no jeans"... but they do so knowing that its not what is meant. Slacks are Kahkis, Trousers, Dress Pants, Suit Pants, etc.

I personally don't care if people want to wear jeans, its their choice. It won't destroy my dining experience, but it also makes me feel like those of us who do follow the rules don't matter and they will do what theywant when you want... but, <sigh> , that is your right. I guess CCL needs to add a "be considerate of your fellow cruisers" rule.

Jeans work great in the cold environment of the dining room. Every Maitre'D I have had says as long as they are not shorts... they are welcome in the dining room.

If you have a problem with people that wear jeans, take it up with the cruise line, there in lies the problem!

The problem with the dress code is it specifically says" no bathing suits, no shorts, ect... It says casual and in most people minds that means nice jeans(not jeans with holes in them). If they mean for no jeans then they need to include it on what is not accepted in the dining room. They clearly accept jeans ans personally they look better than some suits I have seen. Get over your fashion unsense and get into the otts jeans are the queens bee.:)

Another dining observation is men wearing hats at the table. Have noticed this on two cruises. But I'm sure they were one hundred dollar hats.:D

No matter how expensive, this is rude, crude, unacceptable behaviour and shows poor table graces, lack of manners and possible inbreeding!!:D

No matter how expensive' date=' this is rude, crude, unacceptable behaviour and shows poor table graces, lack of manners and [b']possible inbreeding[/b]!!:D

WATCH IT!!!!! I have to live in Alabama and resemble that remark. :D

Jeans work great in the cold environment of the dining room. Every Maitre'D I have had says as long as they are not shorts... they are welcome in the dining room.

If you have a problem with people that wear jeans, take it up with the cruise line, there in lies the problem!

I have never brought jeans on a cruise with me.. I never wear them in the summer time where I live .. I just don't get why people bring jeans on vacation:rolleyes: JMHO;)

No matter how expensive' date=' this is rude, crude, unacceptable behaviour and shows poor table graces, lack of manners and possible inbreeding!!:D[/quote']

I hate to even try and expand your pinhole view of people, but in some cultures wearing hats during dining is totally appropriate...:)

Please don't insist that we follow your personal view, having a hat on at the table is not a statement of ones character or his breeding habits.:eek:

I live in an area where "dress pants" = jeans without holes, in fact when I wear a tank dress people ask "What are you all dressed up for?"

:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I think that unless cruiselines become more specific in their restrictions, you are going to see jeans in the dining room. I recognize the difference between "bluejeans" and dressed up style jeans in black and charcoal gray or even white, however if they are the kind that "you can't tell they are jeans", why worry about it? Just wear them and if you are lucky no one will say anything. Why argue about it to a cyberspace audience

Archived