wildlife seen during Alaska cruise

qiangf2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Here's another Denali Park bear. :) http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1450293047045138818cgkVTE

If of interest, the photo before, is as it lost it's footing and slid down the hill. :)

Do you have to go to Denali park to see the wildlife? What are the chances to spot whales, bears etc by doing round trip out of Seattle. We are planning to leave July next year.

Do you have to go to Denali park to see the wildlife? What are the chances to spot whales, bears etc by doing round trip out of Seattle. We are planning to leave July next year.

Round trip out of Seattle gives you less chance than round trip out of Vancouver since there are usually whales between Vancouver island and the mainland. But the Seattle sailings don't use that route.

It will take a lot of time being outside on deck or perhaps taking shore excursions that will give you better chances.

Many people that go to Alaska never see wildlife. If does require an effort, although, people do get lucky and claim tours aren't necessary. Overall, from a cruise ship, it requires you park yourself out on a front deck, proper attire and a good pair of wide angle binoculars. Plus being happy with a few minute view. Ships don't stop. :)

You are not going to be able to "spot" bears on a round trip Seattle cruise, just about a given. If this is a priority, I think an excellent fly in to consider is Anan out of Ketchikan, other fly in option Pack Creek out of Juneau.

For whales, having a ship naturalist can greatly up your sighting chances, as they can tell you "times" of likely areas, since they have the experince of prior sailings. I know many areas that I am always out during, but most people won't. I also rely on messages to the bridge for time estimations.

Many people that go to Alaska never see wildlife. If does require an effort, although, people do get lucky and claim tours aren't necessary. Overall, from a cruise ship, it requires you park yourself out on a front deck, proper attire and a good pair of wide angle binoculars. Plus being happy with a few minute view. Ships don't stop. :)

You are not going to be able to "spot" bears on a round trip Seattle cruise, just about a given. If this is a priority, I think an excellent fly in to consider is Anan out of Ketchikan, other fly in option Pack Creek out of Juneau.

For whales, having a ship naturalist can greatly up your sighting chances, as they can tell you "times" of likely areas, since they have the experince of prior sailings. I know many areas that I am always out during, but most people won't. I also rely on messages to the bridge for time estimations.

That sounds fantastic! I have never seen a whale before other than from TV. :o It will be high on my priority. Which part of the water will be the best place to "park" myself from the ship to look out for them? Or an excursion is needed to see whales 100%.

That sounds fantastic! I have never seen a whale before other than from TV. :o It will be high on my priority. Which part of the water will be the best place to "park" myself from the ship to look out for them? Or an excursion is needed to see whales 100%.

Front- this allows you to scan a large distance way ahead. Key is to then track them as the ship passes, this gives you the longest viewing and allows you to get from one side to the other, depending how the ship will pass.

My opinion only, I spend a great deal of time out on deck and definately have been greatly rewarded with many sightings, but you will also always see me on a whale watch tour. :) Definately superior for closer extended viewing. You do have just about a 100% chance of humpbacks on a tour out of Juneau or Hoonah.

This was especially true last year with the Diamond Princess. But last month on the Celebrity Summit, even with a naturalist on board, it was almost worthless. The only announced time of potential whale sightings was off by an hour (fortunately I was close enough to the naturalist to realize where we were), no other announcements re: wildlife were made the entire week, my requests to the bridge through guest relations went unanswered most the time. If wildlife sightings from your ship are a priority, choose your ship carefully.

, my requests to the bridge through guest relations went unanswered most the time. .

You can do much better getting an answer- if you go to the purser's desk and ask them to call and wait for the answer. However you do need the knowledge of the precise areas and correct names. You can't just go and ask vague questions. I know the channels, specific detailed areas and always have gotten fairly accurate information back on the timeframes. You are best to give an extra half hour.

Another plus for me, I just about always get a dinner invitation with the cpt. early in the sailing, on NCL and use this opportunity to get some fantastic information. And I talk to plenty of people who are also out on deck and share the information.

You can do much better getting an answer- if you go to the purser's desk and ask them to call and wait for the answer. However you do need the knowledge of the precise areas and correct names. You can't just go and ask vague questions. I know the channels, specific detailed areas and always have gotten fairly accurate information back on the timeframes. You are best to give an extra half hour.

Another plus for me, I just about always get a dinner invitation with the cpt. early in the sailing, on NCL and use this opportunity to get some fantastic information. And I talk to plenty of people who are also out on deck and share the information.

Thanks for your reply. Guest relations = purser in my mind. Sorry for any confusion. And I went there every time in person. Just not very helpful. Was told they it was frowned upon for them to call the bridge. Yes, that is almost verbatim what I was told. I did ask a couple of specific questions but certainly not nearly as knowledgeable as you. I need to be out on deck when you are sharing the info :)

Just took our third Alaskan cruise this July and on every cruise we have seen whales from the ship......but we are out looking at the areas where Budget Queen has reported they are likely to be seen. All that to say.....that can not compare to the excursions where your chances of up close and personal are overwhelmingly awesome. We have gone with Orca Enterprises and Harv and Marv www.harvandmarvs.com out of Juneau. Both are excellent whale watching tours......just book early.......as soon as you get your cruise booked. You will find more than enough info on both on this board, just go through the last 3 or 4 pages.

Re: bears: Budget Queen and Bearbait recommended Anan Creek to me for brown and black bears and they are active during your time frame in July. The bears are in different areas at different times. We flew out of Ketchikan and had an opportunity of a lifetime to see the bears catching and eating salmon at the foot of a waterfall. Once again, study this board and you will get lots of info.......with some of the most talked about independents to be Family Air Tours, Island Wings, and Southeast Aviation. Once again........booking early is key because you have to have bear permits to get into the areas.

Just my opinion, but if you want so see more than marine life, you are going to have to do tours or excursions.

We saw (2) trumpet swans (and was told they mate for life) if you see one alone, it's mate has died and it will not mate again. This was all we spotted from the train.

We saw a beaver and rabbits from the coach.

We saw 4 moose, 10 bears, 8 caribou, 7 Dall Sheep, 1 lone prairie dog, 1 Golden Eagle, tons of rabbits, and Mt. McKinley on the Denali Tundra Wilderness (8 hr) Tour. Some were far away but the bus had a video camera and the driver would zoom in and there were screens like on the airplane. Others were right beside the road up close and personal. My sister-in-law left the Tundra tour and took the shuttle back to the lodge, the only wildlife they saw was 1 wolf.

I think if wildlife is a priority, you really have to be inland.

Just took our third Alaskan cruise this July and on every cruise we have seen whales from the ship......but we are out looking at the areas where Budget Queen has reported they are likely to be seen. All that to say.....that can not compare to the excursions where your chances of up close and personal are overwhelmingly awesome. We have gone with Orca Enterprises and Harv and Marv www.harvandmarvs.com out of Juneau. Both are excellent whale watching tours......just book early.......as soon as you get your cruise booked. You will find more than enough info on both on this board, just go through the last 3 or 4 pages.

Re: bears: Budget Queen and Bearbait recommended Anan Creek to me for brown and black bears and they are active during your time frame in July. The bears are in different areas at different times. We flew out of Ketchikan and had an opportunity of a lifetime to see the bears catching and eating salmon at the foot of a waterfall. Once again, study this board and you will get lots of info.......with some of the most talked about independents to be Family Air Tours, Island Wings, and Southeast Aviation. Once again........booking early is key because you have to have bear permits to get into the areas.

Thanks a lot about the information on bear watching out of Ketchikan. I will do some more research into it.

Just my opinion, but if you want so see more than marine life, you are going to have to do tours or excursions.

We saw (2) trumpet swans (and was told they mate for life) if you see one alone, it's mate has died and it will not mate again. This was all we spotted from the train.

We saw a beaver and rabbits from the coach.

We saw 4 moose, 10 bears, 8 caribou, 7 Dall Sheep, 1 lone prairie dog, 1 Golden Eagle, tons of rabbits, and Mt. McKinley on the Denali Tundra Wilderness (8 hr) Tour. Some were far away but the bus had a video camera and the driver would zoom in and there were screens like on the airplane. Others were right beside the road up close and personal. My sister-in-law left the Tundra tour and took the shuttle back to the lodge, the only wildlife they saw was 1 wolf.

I think if wildlife is a priority, you really have to be inland.

Ditto that.

But you still have a good opportunity to spot whales south of Juneau. Do invest some time out on the deck and a good pair of wide angle binoculars.

I also recommend a whale watching tour if you must see whales. Juneau is a good for humpback spotting. There are also whale watching tours out of Seattle to see orcas-- we have three pods that reguarly summer here.

Also, you can visit the Seattle Aquarium to see some fish, birds, and water animals up close-- our family loves to visit the river and sea otters that they have there. Not the same as seeing them in the wild, but it is a nice place for a short visit, especially with kids.

I also recommend a whale watching tour if you must see whales. Juneau is a good for humpback spotting. There are also whale watching tours out of Seattle to see orcas-- we have three pods that reguarly summer here.

Also, you can visit the Seattle Aquarium to see some fish, birds, and water animals up close-- our family loves to visit the river and sea otters that they have there. Not the same as seeing them in the wild, but it is a nice place for a short visit, especially with kids.

definitely a whale watching tour will significantly boost the chance of spotting whales during the trip, especially if you are not planning to spend some time out on the deck

One more thing-- if you are doing tours in Denali, timing is everything. The earlier in the morning you go, the better. I went 15 years ago and did a 5am tour. Saw more wildlife then than at any other time-- there were a lot of animals out getting breakfast.:p

This was what I had heard prior to going also. We were scheduled for a 3:00 Tundra Wilderness Tour and I was sooooo disappointed. But then the driver said we had just as a good a chance as the early morning tour of spotting wildlife, and it ended up he was right. We were out from 3:00 to 11:00pm, so maybe caught the dinner hour.

One more thing-- if you are doing tours in Denali, timing is everything. The earlier in the morning you go, the better. I went 15 years ago and did a 5am tour. Saw more wildlife then than at any other time-- there were a lot of animals out getting breakfast.:p

I believe that timing is everything too - the MORE times you are on a shuttle bus, the more you will see. I had an early camper bus to Wonder Lake in July and saw very little wildlife. The next day I was on shuttle buses most of the day and saw a lot more wildlife. Early and late in the day means less heat and the animals tend to be up and about, but that is a generalization.

If you really want to see wildlife, stay for several days and be in the park a lot. Denali is not a place to go to "check off your list" of being there. The more time you spend, the more you will enjoy it.

• 1 month later...
I believe that timing is everything too - the MORE times you are on a shuttle bus, the more you will see. I had an early camper bus to Wonder Lake in July and saw very little wildlife. The next day I was on shuttle buses most of the day and saw a lot more wildlife. Early and late in the day means less heat and the animals tend to be up and about, but that is a generalization.

If you really want to see wildlife, stay for several days and be in the park a lot. Denali is not a place to go to "check off your list" of being there. The more time you spend, the more you will enjoy it.

try to get in line early to grab a window seat on the left side. You will have a better unobstructed view for your camera or binoculars

try to get in line early to grab a window seat on the left side. You will have a better unobstructed view for your camera or binoculars

• 4 weeks later...
It takes some effort to see Alaska wildlife without tours. And plenty Alaska Visitors seen none.

If you want ship viewing, essential is a good pair of wide angle binoculars at least 10 power. But higher power is going to be bad for marine wildlife since it has a smaller field of view. I have sometimes taken two pair. :)

It is VERY difficult to see sea otters from a ship, they are a dot at most and are skittish and generally well avoid cruise ships. The above references are for harbor seals, dalls porpoises (black and white, but are not dolphins). Pacific White sided dolphins.

Mt. goats can be along the Lynn Canal, coming and going from Skagway. Glacier Bay is loaded with potential wildlife, again a good pair of binoculars are necessary, keep scanning and scanning.

Just about always, tours yield good views and you spend some time viewing. From a ship, they don't stop, and you take what you can get. Superior is front viewing, it pays to track them from ahead and have the ability to go side to side. I have been greatly rewarded with viewing from a ship, but extremely few passengers invest a lot of time.

Can you see sea otters around the dock area? I know sealions like to hangout where tourists are (where food is:))

• 10 months later...

Ketchican- Bald Eagles , Mountain Goats, Salmon

Juneau- Did Harv and Marv Many Humpbacks,Sea lions , Seals, Bald Eagles, Salmon in bay coming into river.

Icy Strait- Coastal Brown Bear with Cub eating salmon from a stream, Eagles. Humpback play near radiance of the Sea for 2 hours while in port. Salmon up stream.

Seward- Dall Porpoise (often mistaken as Orcas but much smaller), Resident Orcas 2 different pods, Humpback Feeding Mouth out of water for 2 minutes, Sea Lions, Puffins (2 different kinds), Otter, Eagles.

Inside Passage- Otter, Sea Lion, Dall Porposie, (others on the ship saw Orcas and Humpback.)

At Hubbard saw- seals

Leaving Hubbard- Saw transient Orcas Chasing a Humpback

On the train to Anchorage from Seward- Moose several along the trip, Black Bear and Cub, Salmon Stream full.

Below is a link to our photos:

http://gallery.me.com/valenciajuan

• 4 months later...
Seward- Dall Porpoise (often mistaken as Orcas but much smaller), Resident Orcas 2 different pods, Humpback Feeding Mouth out of water for 2 minutes, Sea Lions, Puffins (2 different kinds), Otter, Eagles.

Did you take an excursion at Seward to see Dall porpoise?

Archived