PACIFIC IN WINTER MONTHS? Rough?

lulybellsea

I've also posted this question on the Hawaii board. We are able to travel October through February. I've been told that the Pacific can be extremely rough during those months with fairly violent winter storms. Celebrity and Royal Caribbean do not offer cruises from the West Coast to Hawaii during the Winter. However, I noticed that the Diamond Princess sails from September through April out of Los Angeles. I'd really like to hear from those of you that have cruised during these months. Would you recommend the cruise? Thanks!

We sailed on Celebrity's Summit from Los Angeles over Christmas/New Year in 2005. It was a bit rough the first two days out and the last day upon returning. (The worst I heard was 28ft. swells.)

The rest was great and we thoroughly enjoyed our cruise.

We are going to HI on Celebrity's Summit Oct 26 out of San Diego. They do have different dates. We went to HI on the Island Princess last Dec. Second and third day were rough. Was also cold until HI. Great cruise otherwise. Our balcony was uesless at sea and a waste of money. We are using Celebrity because it stays overnight in Maui so we can go to an evening Luau. Princess doesn't stay overnight at any port.

Alaska storms create swell that is pretty much non-stop all winter in the pacific. Most days it is not a problem and does not affect ports but there are days that the ship is rocking and rolling. I have cruised to Hawaii from the west coast twice and found the sea days to be boring but very much enjoyed cruising Hawaii itself. I would choose February.

Fair Princess 1994

Regal Princess 1995

Crown Princess 1995

Song of America 1997

Sun Princess 1997

Song of America 1998

Crown Princess 1998

Sea Princess 1999

Rhapsody of the Seas 1999

Ocean Princess 2000

Sea Princess 2000

Rhapsody of the Seas 2001

Radiance of the Seas 2001

Mercury 2001

Sea Princess 2002

Radiance of the Seas 2002

Splendor of the Seas 2003

Mercury 2004

Serenade of the Seas 2005

Grand Princess 2006

Radiance of the Seas 2006

I've sailed to Hawaii from California 5 times over the past several years during fall, winter, and spring months. All cruises were smooth in my estimation. I knew I was "at sea" but ocean was never rough. I loved sitting on deck and watching the sea and changing sky often with storms on the horizon. Of course, weather conditions are always a crap shoot and can't be predicted with real accuracy very far in advance. Maybe I lucked out but I found those days at sea a real treat. Temps were cooler near the California coast and warm and humid when nearing Hawaii.

I sailed twice on the Statendam, once each on the Sea Princess, Island Princess, and Crown Oddysey.

I've also posted this question on the Hawaii board. We are able to travel October through February. I've been told that the Pacific can be extremely rough during those months with fairly violent winter storms. Celebrity and Royal Caribbean do not offer cruises from the West Coast to Hawaii during the Winter. However, I noticed that the Diamond Princess sails from September through April out of Los Angeles. I'd really like to hear from those of you that have cruised during these months. Would you recommend the cruise? Thanks!

Actually several cruiselines (besides Princess, Celebrity, HAL, RC and even Carnival) have sailings from the west coast to Hawaii during the winter.

We were on the Island Princess in Dec. 05 and the first couple of days were rough but that was it. The rest of the time was relatively calm. The sailing before us had calm seas except for the last couple of days. It really varies.

I wouldn't recommend this cruise to a first time cruiser. But for an experienced cruiser who doesn't have problems with rough seas (like the rest of my family) or knows what remedies works for them...and someone who likes sea days (many of us do), it's a great cruise. There are plenty of activities planned for the sea days so one shouldn't be bored unless they prefer port-intensive cruises only.

We've gone between the Left Coast and Hawaii several times. It is often rough the first day or two out from the Mainland, but usually smooths out after you finish crossing the Japanese Current, which flows South along the California coast.

In Dec 86, on the late great Constitution, it was fairly rough all the way -"lips" up on the tables with wetted tablecloths in a futile attempt to keep the dinner plates on the tables.

No guarantees on the ocean!

We sailed on the Island Princess r/t LA-Hawaii in late January of 2006, and did not experience any heavy seas. In fact, on our return to LA, the sea was almost mirror-smooth the last 2 days. The weather was cool the first 2 days out and the last 2 back, requiring long pants and a light jacket while out on deck. All the days in between were quite pleasant, both at sea and in the islands.

Archived