Laundry onCruise on Maasdam ?

big traveler

YES! A board and an iron in every laundry room. Baskets too but some people are not too speedy in returning them.

A wash is $2.00 in quaters and a dry cycle is $1.00. You can get change at the front desk. If you use dryer sheets bring your own. I pack with them so I always have some for the dryer.

GN

We were on the Maasdam March 15-25 and used the "all you can stuff into a bag" for $12. By rolling the laundry VERY tightly, we crammed an incredible amount of clothing into the bag. Since we were asked whether we wanted it folded or on hangers, I selected folded and just decided I would press the items needed. To our surprise, some laundry was folded while others--my husbands t-shirts, dress shirt, my slip and nightie--were on hangers. So, I guess they will use their best judgment. We did end up with three extra pairs of undies which I returned to our cabin steward. Hopefully they got to the correct owner.

Just a word of warning, if you are at all claustrophobic, the laundry rooms are quite small and tightly packed with washers. At least the one I peeked into was. My mom had entertained thoughts of throwing a load in until she actually saw the room and then decided to do the wash in the bathtub.

I used the self serve laundry room and it is not as bad as some people posted. If fact I brought a book and sat on the chair in the room and waited until my laundry was done. I was surprised theat they provide the laundry detergent, because on Carnival you have to buy a packet, or bring your own.

Kooolmomma, you've prompted a question I've had for years. Permit me to ask, and please don't take any offense; I'm simply curious.

Why do you sit in the laundry while your wash goes round and round? Why not go do something, then come back to move it to the dryer, then return again to fold it when it's done?

I've often wondered why people (sometimes even both parties of a couple) stay and wait when there's so much elsewhere to enjoy.

Thanks.

I would like to echo RuthC's thoughts about waiting for your Laundry.

Last December we were aboard the Masdam and had the room directly across the laundry room. People would sit in there and chat the whole time there laundry was was running. Although it was clearly posted that the door was to be kept shut - that was ignored and we would hear them all afternoon and most of the evening. It seemed like the loudest were always doing their laundry while I was trying to take an afternoon nap.

So if you do your laundry aboard, please be considerate of those in the cabins nearby. Those walls are event thinner than you imagine.

To RuthC and Mickey001,

I learned the hard way to always stay with my laundry. Having lived in a number of apartment buildings when I was in my 20s, I was in the habit of going down to the laundry room in the basement, popping in a couple of loads of laundry and then going back up to have dinner, watch TV, whatever, until I went back later to retrieve them. In one particular building, I had my laundry stolen :eek: right out of the dryers twice. (I naively thought the first time was a random act of mischief :o )

I would hate to think anyone would do that on a ship, but I'm not taking any chances on losing any of my carefully chosen and packed clothing!

And, like Koolmomma, I simply bring a book and have some "quiet time", with the door closed...

Bonnie

Bonnie, thanks for your response. I just never figured anyone would want (or fit in, for that matter) my underwear. :rolleyes:

And I won't sit in those folding chairs, in that too-warm room. I'll continue to takes m' chances.

I am not usually a distrusting person, but it is always better to be safe than sorry. I would not leave my laundry in a laundramat, why would I leave it on a ship full of people that I don't know either. I want to read my book anyway and I slip out of the cabin early and have quiet time while my laundry is being washed and dried. My husband can sleep and I spend a couple of hours in the company of my book.

Archived