Houston plans?

TubT

I understand NCL will not have a ship in Houston next winter. I'm sure this is a blow to Houston, who I think was expanding the cruise terminal.

Does anyone know if this is a permanent situation, or if any other cruise line will fill in for them?

NCL can't sail from Houston this winter. The existing Barbour's cut cruise terminal is closing, the new Bayport cruise terminal will not be completed. The new terminal will be completed before the fall season of 2008. It's possible NCL will return to Houston for the fall season of 2008, although I consider it unlikely. There's too many other locales for NCL to send ships that have historically drawn higher fares.

With the POH transfering to NCL from NCLA, they'll have to find a place to sail it from (+1 ship for North America)

To review where NCL ships are sailing from this winter:

Honolulu > POAl, POAm, POH

Los Angeles > Star

South America > Dream

New Orleans > Spirit

Miami > Sun, Dawn, Jewel, Pearl

Charleston > Majesty

New York > Gem

Houston > 0000

If I were NCL, I would have the POH sail from Miami, allowing the Sun and Spirit to cover New Orleans and another city. The other city could be returning as the second ship to New York or returning to Houston. Alas, this one additional ship can't fill in at both locales.

If the Dream or Majesty leave the fleet before fall 2008, then you could add that city to the list of options. If both the Dream and Majesty leave the fleet before fall 2008, then you could add both cities to the list of options.

I don't think the Star will remain on the West Coast forever, one of the newer ships (Jewel, POH, Pearl) could replace it in Los Angeles, and the Star would reposition to Miami, so Miami will host four NCL Panamax sized ships. Both the Star and Dawn could then take advantage of shorter Caribbean cruises from Miami to save wear and tear on their propulsion plants.

When NCL's new build F3 class enters the fleet, I anticipate they will be sailing from Miami during the winter season. That should free up at least two more Panamax sized ships to replace the medium sized Spirit and Sun, so that they could return to the home ports where NCL had left when they retire their remaining two older ships, the Dream and Majesty.

I've been surprised every time by NCL fleet deployments in recent years, and NCLA fleet deployments in the last few months, so I'm probably lost in right field.

I am thinking much like you are but with POH being re-flagged there is the possibility NCL will take one of the ships and bring it back to Houston. It is such a popular embarkation port, especially after a new port of entre is opened. I can guarantee you we have so many cliants in the mid west and south west that would jump at a chance to sail out of Houston. NMnita

Houston was a great point of embakation (Dream Apr. 7-14). It was easy and the fact that one cruise ship was in the area was very easy to maneuver leading up to the terminal and we were on the ship right away. Distance from the airport was a little lengthy, but it was an easy place to cruise from.

Yes, Houston may get anothereship for the 2008-09 winter season with the Jade added to east coast from Hawaii. Its like one more ship in NCL's east coast fleet.

The new Bayport terminal will be large enough to service a super mega sized ship, unlike the former Barbours Cut terminal which the Sun barely fit.

Plus the Bayport cruise terminal is very close to NASA. Those that fly in a day earlier should be able to do NASA in the morning before arriving at the new cruise terminal.

At first, Houston built one terminal, but there is room for three terminals. The port of Houston has a short video of the new terminal::

http://www.portofhouston.com/cruiseinfo/bayportcruise.html

I asked the Captain of the Dream this very question in January. He said that one thing they don't like about Houston is that it's the "only port that closes due to fog.... (nowdays)". Our departure was five hours late because the ships arrival was delayed by fog. He did say that NCL is talking with the new cruise port at Bayport, but no one is sure when it will actually open! In any case, he agreed that NCL would not give up on Houston entirely, but it may be two years before they are back.

I asked the Captain of the Dream this very question in January. He said that one thing they don't like about Houston is that it's the "only port that closes due to fog.... (nowdays)". Our departure was five hours late because the ships arrival was delayed by fog. He did say that NCL is talking with the new cruise port at Bayport, but no one is sure when it will actually open! In any case, he agreed that NCL would not give up on Houston entirely, but it may be two years before they are back.

My understanding is either, they are building the new port right now or will be very soon. NMnita

The Port of Houston had planned to finish the Bayport terminal before this coming October in time for a winter season. Since NCL did not resign its deal, they have slowed down the construction so it will finish before October 2008. NCL's last contract with Houston ends this spring.

Two cruise lines can book Houston's new terminal, one for Saturday and one for Sunday, prime weekend dates. I doubt whether any would want more than one ship based in Houston. Carnival stations two ships from Galveston. Royal Caribbean has recently booked two ships in Galveston when Princess or Celebrity have not stationed a ship there. Galveston has two terminals, thus four ships can easily be stationed there, two on Saturday and two on Sunday for prime weekend dates.

Here's the Bayport Cruise Terminal master plan.

Note, Houston will only build one cruise terminal intitially, as you can see they have left room for three.

It too will be next to many containers.

BayportPlan.jpg

Here's how it will appear.

BayportCruiseTerminalArtistrendition1.jpg

I've noticed that the Voyager of the Seas 2009 schedule isn't posted yet, it's possible they might want to cruise from here too.

Archived