Orca Enterprises hard to book?

HALNEWBY

Hi to all

We are Australian and due to cruise to Alaska on Summit 12th May 2007, we were wanting to do this shore tour with Orca Ent and Capt Larry - it would be very much appreciated if someone was able to give me an email address please; it will be our first cruise with Celebrity so I would appreciate ANY information that you experienced cruisers can offer including other shore tours you would recommend that are not strenuous due to physical limitations.

There are 3 of us - myself, husband and 12 year old daughter who turns 13 whilst on our trip.

If you had the choice between the following 3 cabins which would you choose and why:

9201 CC, 9158 FV, or 8168 FV.

Cheers and thank you in advance.

Were/are you the only person who has posted here who has gone with any of the other vendors (not "venders"), or have you only gone with ORCA? I notice that you've been asked that question before but haven't seen an answer from you? Just curious?

Sam

NancyIL posted a link to one thread that shows comments by someone who has taken all three. I too would be curious to know if BQ has taken any other of the vendors.

Hi to all

We are Australian and due to cruise to Alaska on Summit 12th May 2007, we were wanting to do this shore tour with Orca Ent and Capt Larry - it would be very much appreciated if someone was able to give me an email address please; it will be our first cruise with Celebrity so I would appreciate ANY information that you experienced cruisers can offer including other shore tours you would recommend that are not strenuous due to physical limitations.

There are 3 of us - myself, husband and 12 year old daughter who turns 13 whilst on our trip.

If you had the choice between the following 3 cabins which would you choose and why:

9201 CC, 9158 FV, or 8168 FV.

Cheers and thank you in advance.

www.orcaenterprises.com gives you all the info you need. Hope you have a good experience contacting him. Please let us know when you get it confirmed.

The mere mention of any vendor is not the same as a recommendation! I posted the links to Harv & Marv's and Alaskan Marine Adventures in case the OP wanted to try contacting another company. I'm glad he finally got through to Capt. Larry, but it shouldn't take so much effort to get in touch with any vendor, whether by phone or e-mail.

I booked my whale watching excursion before reading OrcaFan's comments on all 3 vendors. I chose Alaskan Marine Adventures based on CanCanCase's contributions to this board, and I'll admit it - his great price! A choice for a company other than Orca Enterprises shouldn't be taken personally by anyone who favors Capt. Larry.

I am going to set it straight- NO! I DO NOT GET KICK BACKS FROM ANYONE. I find this line of question very offensive. I have gone with 2 different boat operators in Juneau. I am a long time customer of Orca Enterprises with always excellent trips, the only reason I recommend them. I will be rethinking this as it seems there is unfounded resentment?? I have my favorites, like in all my other travels- vendors that I use over and over. Does anyone really think I should change my preferences on MY vacation??

I post on MY experiences and TOURS I HAVE TAKEN. First hand information. I am NOT tour broker/travel writer etc - who reviews tours and compares all the companies. I am a visitor to Alaska- ONLY. For those with no interest in this, I don't think I should be a target, because I travel there so frequently. Just get your information from the visitor guides and shore excursion lists that are easily obtained.

Hopefully this is settled.

I booked with Captain Larry last year for this coming August. I called and got through immediately to a very nice helpful woman. I called with a question a couple weeks ago and again had the phone answered right away by the same woman. Guess I was lucky.

this year, even more so then last year..you have more people trying to book exursions early, months to a year(s) early. last year many of us were booking excursions a whole month early. we thought we were too early doing it then. on our roll call last year, we spent the last month talking about should we book, is it too early. my family thought i was nuts for booking whale watching a whole month before our cruise. most of the 2,000 passenagers don't book until they get on the ship, unless they find some place like CC.

we are talking about a long-time vendor. until this year (and some of last year)they got most of their phone calls/emails during the cruise season. things are changing, people want to be able to book months (and years) ahead of time. in a couple of weeks, this vendor will have a office open, right at the docks. this used to be a seasonally business...it's not any more. i am sure they will change things for next year. until then, anyone wanting to book for orca enterprises...as the cruise season starts, their offices are manned all day and all week. they have a regular office staff (nice ladies, BTW) that will be there to answer questions. for those of you want to check them out, right at the docks...across from the tram office..look up! they have a large orca hanging over their offices. even if you don't book with them, go and check out their educational books, photos and videos. they have them on display...great photos. (really got me excited, DH told me he was going to let me just stand there and watch the video while he went out and saw the real thing)

i am still trying to understand why people are knocking this company so much, they are not a home business. they do this all year round, just not from the juneau office. they have a large office, nice people and are very knowing. for years they have done tours during the season, in jueanu (also, IDing the whales, checking mirgrating/feeding patterns and such) until this year, it wasn't a problem that they closed the office and went to hawaii to continue their research.

BTW: last year, while i was researching, the only reports (from returning cruisiers) were on orca, harv & marv and allen marine (ship's tour). from that i choose orca, but i did talk to harv & marv and have nothing but good to say of them. (or heard of them).

no one has said that you won't see whales if you don't go with orca enterprises, which by the way is much more then just capt larry.

remember, the cruise season had a week added on each end last year. this year, another week added on each end. soon they will be cruising all year round (to alaska):eek: LOL!!! even the whales are smart enough to go to hawaii during the winter.

i am still trying to understand why people are knocking this company so much, they are not a home business. they do this all year round, just not from the juneau office.

I would not say people are knocking Orca Enterprises. They are just frustrated how slow Orca is in responding to requests, if they respond to some people at all. This would be a legitimate complaint about any company, but is especially troubling in the tourist industry. But the OP finally got a response from them, so kudos to Orca for that.

As much as Orca Enterprises being "knocked" is that those who post which company they are planning on using this coming cruise season, if it is not Orca, are being "knocked" which is just as unfair.

I too want to add that two years ago we wanted to whale watching in Juneau. After much research and reviews on this board about Orca Enterprises we decided to pick them. Now my cruise was in May but I made the reservation the previous Jan. because I knew that they would be very busy when the cruise season started in May. Hopefully you will get your reservation 1 month ahead of the season but if you do not, well enough said. Right now Orca Enterprises are no doubt extremly busy trying to answer e-mails, phone calls, etc. I guess my point is do your research months ahead of when you plan to visit alaska. It has become more and more popular. Do not wait until the last minute, check recommendations on this board but ultimately it is your choice on who you want.

I happen to value Budget Queens, recommendations and suggestions on this board. She is a valued cruiser as far as I am concerned. I have been 4 times to Alaska but she now has been over 30 times. Thank you Budget Queen.

Marilyn

I am going to set it straight- NO! I DO NOT GET KICK BACKS FROM ANYONE. I find this line of question very offensive. I have gone with 2 different boat operators in Juneau. I am a long time customer of Orca Enterprises with always excellent trips, the only reason I recommend them. I will be rethinking this as it seems there is unfounded resentment?? I have my favorites, like in all my other travels- vendors that I use over and over. Does anyone really think I should change my preferences on MY vacation??

I post on MY experiences and TOURS I HAVE TAKEN. First hand information. I am NOT tour broker/travel writer etc - who reviews tours and compares all the companies. I am a visitor to Alaska- ONLY. For those with no interest in this, I don't think I should be a target, because I travel there so frequently. Just get your information from the visitor guides and shore excursion lists that are easily obtained.

Hopefully this is settled.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I've appreciated your Alaska comments and have copied and pasted several of your tips. It's documented you know your (Alaska) stuff. I certainly didn't mean to offend you, target you, nor do I resent you ... as I'm sure you didn't mean to offend those of us who chose to go with a different company for whatever reason (the subject of this thread and the predominate one of other threads, BTW seems to be that Orca is MIA when people are making plans) ... I was merely pointing out that while you are a fan of Orca, and I might have been as well had they returned calls or emails when I was planning excursions, you haven't patronized the other vendors to deem whether or not they are equally worthy of your praise. You've pointed out that we haven't taken them. You haven't either.

As another poster has said, recommending a company and giving someone who's asked for it contact information to another one are completely different things. In my opinion, Harv and Marv's ability to get my trip scheduled is superior to Orca's lack of response many have talked about on these boards. If you can't get booked, it's hard to get on their boat and see just what all the fuss is about.

It's settled as far as I'm concerend. There's no reason to volley this any further.

Never thought this thread would cause so much controversy. Just wanted to get some input from experienced cruisers out there. On a personal note, I am a person that does extensive research whenever I travel. I take my decisions based on many factors. If i can find a people like BQ, LAFFNVEGAS ect...that can give me their honest opinion on things it would be foolish of me not to pay attention. I believe we all joined these boards to listen to people like this. Finally booked Orca for many reasons: schedule, price, size of ship...

Thank you all. When I get back I will give my input.

I hosted two previous groups and went with Orca and chartered two of their boats for an upcoming group... I must say Orca must be busier than what they can handle. I have had a very difficult time corresponding this time compared to the past and things are very laxed (guess that is the Alaskan way). I am becoming very frustrated this time around and if it were my first experience I probably would have canceled! I know that the actual tour is wonderful since I have gone on them in the past, but honestly catching them is hit or miss and I understand it can be very frustrating!

I tried them (Orca) several times and gave up.

I have since booked with Alaska Marine time and I also contacted Harv and Marv. They were both very quick to get back with me. Customer Service makes a HUGE difference in who I go with. Customer Service here sucks so I go else where and will do the same on vacation too.

Glad you finally got through.

I will give my review when we get back the end of May

I sent them an email and got a reply in 24 hrs I called them 2 days ago (sat) in response to there email I had a few questions. I was able to talk with a very nice lady named Terry she was new and did not know 1 of the answers so she put Capt. Larry on the phone he was very nice and was able to answers question for the group I am taking in May of 2008. So I am over a year away I have my reservation and the rest of my group will most likely call near the end of summer to put down there deposit so we get the group rate and use the smaller boat so it will just be us on the tour. I had no problems getting in touch.......So i guess i had a hit and not a miss ;)

I have watched this thread for a few days now and I just wanted to put my 2 cents in. On Jan. 10th I called & booked with Orca for our May 22nd Junea visit & had no problems. Just today I called & left a message (3.30P my time) to ask a question about getting dropped off the Mendenhall Glacier. I just now received a callback (7:40p my time). I was very impressed with the fast response after the somewhat negative feedback on this thread. Just my opinion, but considering this is a very busy time for them, I'm glad I booked with Orca. Like another poster said--I think you have to take into consideration the time differences.

Sue

I have watched this thread for a few days now and I just wanted to put my 2 cents in. On Jan. 10th I called & booked with Orca for our May 22nd Junea visit & had no problems. Just today I called & left a message (3.30P my time) to ask a question about getting dropped off the Mendenhall Glacier. I just now received a callback (7:40p my time). I was very impressed with the fast response after the somewhat negative feedback on this thread. Just my opinion, but considering this is a very busy time for them, I'm glad I booked with Orca. Like another poster said--I think you have to take into consideration the time differences.

Sue

I'm glad you got a callback in a timely manner. I imagine someone from Capt. Larry's office has seen this thread and is working hard to get back to people - which is very good.

I too spoke with someone new. She couldn't answer any of my ??s at all. She said she would have Capt Larry call me back that was Early March. I also emailed and even requested to be contacted by email and have yet to hear anything.

So I booked with someone who is willing to spend time on me.

Good luck to everyone and I hope you guys have a great excursion that were able to get through.

Well I have read thru this thread... and my question is how early can you book? ( my Alaska Cruise is for 2008)...and does Orca take single reservations...does any one know..

Someone mentioned already booking for 2008. Sure they take single reservations (I assume you mean for one person).

• 2 weeks later...

the vendors that have trouble taking a single are the smaller 6 passenger boats, it's hard to them to group the right number of people together to fill their boats.

orca has no problem with singles or groups..they have 3 boats, that i know of. they will fit you right in:D

Sue

Sue I am just curious...what was your answer on being dropped off at Mendenhall Glacier? Someone in our group told me perhaps we (DH & I) could also be dropped--but I thought it best to not bother them & just come back to town & take a bus out.

Also--FYI: I had only a bit of trouble contacting them to make reservations--they were in the middle of a snow storm & when I did get someone--she was the only one with 4-wheel drive--so she WAS at work..so I think sometimes perhaps we in the lower 48 forget they might be getting storms--that they then send south & east to us:eek:

I recently booked the Taku Glacier Lodge Flightseeing and Salmon Feast trip through Orca and I've never had a problem getting in touch with anyone there. To be completely honest I haven't yet received my email confirmation but everytime I've called to inquire about it someone has always answered the phone. I usually call about 2 p.m. pacific time and like I said, someone has always answered and they've always been extremely helpful.

Sue I am just curious...what was your answer on being dropped off at Mendenhall Glacier? Someone in our group told me perhaps we (DH & I) could also be dropped--but I thought it best to not bother them & just come back to town & take a bus out.

I would definitely try to be dropped off at Mendenhall after your whale watching. Otherwise you lose about 1 hour in transit time - you almost pass Mendenhall coming back from the whale watching.

Also--FYI: I had only a bit of trouble contacting them to make reservations--they were in the middle of a snow storm & when I did get someone--she was the only one with 4-wheel drive--so she WAS at work..so I think sometimes perhaps we in the lower 48 forget they might be getting storms--that they then send south & east to us:eek:

I would definitely have Orca drop you off @ Mendenhall. We were able to have a very full day in Juneau by doing that. It only cost us $12pp and then we took the shuttle back(that was part of the RT $12 price) to Juneau for a Helo ride to dog sledding on a Glacier!

So, by planning well, we did Whale watching, Mendenhall(where we saw a bear cub):) and Glacier/dogsledding!

Don't go back into town in between!

Eileen

Archived