Carry on a garment bag ?

flygrass

I havent been to a airport in a very long time and I know alot of rules have changed and have been invented. What I need to know is when you bring a garment bag to the airport and of course want to carry it on with you. Does it have to fold up to meet the size limits of carry on bags ?

I know to some of you this may seem like a stupid question, but if I dont know, I dont know. :confused: Thanks for any help you can give

Carry-on bags typically can be no larger than 45-51 linear inches (length + width + height). I've seem some travelers with very small or soft sided garment bags be able to bring them on, but not the big suit-case type of garment bags. The actual dimensions vary by airline.

Also it'll all depend on your airline and aircraft that you are flying. If you can give more specifics about your itinerary (i.e. Airline, aircraft, etc.), we should be able to help you out in a more precise way.

Carry-on bags typically can be no larger than 51 linear inches (length + width + height). I've seem some traveler with very small or soft sided garment bags be able to bring them on, but not the big suit-case type of garment bags.

Also it'll all depend on your airline and aircraft that you are flying. If you can give more specifics about your itinerary (i.e. Airline, aircraft, etc.), we should be able to help you out in a more precise way.

I am flying United Airbus A319, and my garment bag is the soft hanging type, not like luggage at all. I was thinking if I had to I could fold real tight to make it in the size limits for carry on and then have nice wrinkled suits and dresses for our cruise on the Pride

I am flying United Airbus A319, and my garment bag is the soft hanging type, not like luggage at all. I was thinking if I had to I could fold real tight to make it in the size limits for carry on and then have nice wrinkled suits and dresses for our cruise on the Pride

Forget the soft hanging type garment bag. Unless you are flying in the front of the bus, the chances of being able to hang it up are slim. Just no space in most planes and FC passengers get priority on the closet space.

You most likely will have to put it in the overhead. If you lay it out flat you will either have to put your own stuff on top of it or someone else will. You will have to also board the plane in one of the first boarding groups to be able to lay it out flat. i have seen garment bags soooo crushed in the overheads that they don't even look like garment bags.

Budget an additional $10-15.00 for pressing. Put your clothes in suitcases. When you board the ship, get the clothes out immediately and hand to your room steward. Have them pressed. You will MUCH happier.

Per United's website:

- A carry-on bag must fit under your seat or in the overhead bin.

- Carry-on bag dimensions should not be more than 9" x 14" x 22" (length + width + height) or 45 linear inches (the length, height and width added together).

If you can get your garment bag to fit these dimensions, then you'll be able to carry it on-board.

Sometimes if the first class closet isn't full they'll allow you to hang up your garment bag there. But it must adhere to the above dimensions in order to get past TSA screening.

Per United's website:

- A carry-on bag must fit under your seat or in the overhead bin.

- Carry-on bag dimensions should not be more than 9" x 14" x 22" (length + width + height) or 45 linear inches (the length, height and width added together).

If you can get your garment bag to fit these dimensions, then you'll be able to carry it on-board.

Sometimes if the first class closet isn't full they'll allow you to hang up your garment bag there. But it must adhere to the above dimensions in order to get past TSA screening.

May be what's on the United website. However, you can lay your garment bag flat if it is not too wide to fit through the x ray machine. If it if too wide, you can fold your garment bag in thirds and it will fit through the TSA screener. TSA does not make you fold it to carryon luggage size. I have taken a soft leather garment bag through TSA screening at least 4 times in the last year. But I am usually in first so have some place to hang it.

TSA's job is NOT to determine whether luggage is carrier approved size. If it fits through the screener without getting hung up, TSA is supposed to allow it. It is the gate agent that arbitrates whether luggage is too large for carryon. YMMV

Thank you all, I did look at UA's web site but didnt really get if I could bring the garment bag. And as for letting the cruise line press them I didnt know that was offered, I knew they would was and dry at the end of the cruise but didnt know about pressing.

Thank all of you for your help, may you have many great cruises in the future.

Thank you all, I did look at UA's web site but didnt really get if I could bring the garment bag. And as for letting the cruise line press them I didnt know that was offered, I knew they would was and dry at the end of the cruise but didnt know about pressing.

Thank all of you for your help, may you have many great cruises in the future.

Most cruise ships not only have laundry facilities, but a complete cleaning/pressing service on board. Normal service is in by 10:00AM, out by 4:00PM the following day. But you can pay extra to get it back the same day if needed. Just let your steward know when you need it. They are responsible and will take care of it.

It is about $5.00 to have a suit/tux pressed, $3.00 for a tux shirt. The only time I have paid more was my silk organza miles of fabric/ruffles dress. Celebrity charged me $8.00-a definite bargain. I ironed that dress ONCE-took me almost two hours and it didn't look nearly as good as the ship ironing.

It is cheaper to have my beaded gowns cleaned on the ship at the end of a cruise than it is here in Phoenix (about $7.00 per dress on the ship, $20.00 in Phoenix). I have EVERYTHING cleaned before the cruise is over, especially tux/tux shirts that won't be worn again until another cruise. My cleaning bill is usually at least $100.00, but I save a lot of money having the ship do it over what I pay at home.

I always take "dirty" suits, tux and the like onboard and have the dry-cleaning done there. It's a way to ensure that you have well-pressed apparel without having to worry about touch-up or how well you packed. I only have the tux done for the rush service (since it is usually needed the day after arrival) and the rest on regular. Cummerbunds are also better done onboard. Shirts though are far more pricey onboard than at your local cleaner, so I bring those clean from home.

Archived